What's new

Better than 1 gig bridge performance real world to end device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

annonymous9999

New Around Here
Hi I was wondering if there are any routers that can bridge through a single wall or floor in a wood frame house in a bridge or repeater mode that can do 1 GB per second or better. The goal is to get 1 GB per second or better wired or wireless devices at both routers. Again this is connection real world not connection speed. I am wanting to avoid weren't running wiring and I suspect mesh doesn't get the throughput I am seeking. I saw Wi-Fi 7 has frequency aggregation but I don't know if it's working as well as I need yet. It would be nice not to have to dump $500 per device but I am not sure what is even capable at this point looking at the router charts on this site it's not looking promising. I meant 1 gigabit but 2 would be nice for future proofing a bit.

Last edited:
... in a bridge or repeater mode that can do 1 GB per second or better.
Do you really mean that? 1 gigabyte per second would be 8000 Mbps. That's not really achievable with consumer devices.

If you meant 1 Gbps then that might be achievable with normal 3 or 4 stream 802.11ac or 802.11ax equipment, depending on your specific environment.

Clarify. 1 Gigabytes/s or 1 Gigabits/s ?

I have done experiments with 2x RT-AC86U (>2Gbps link speed) and the Bridge side ports get ~900Mbps (Gigabit), but it's a Wi-Fi channel killer taking the entire available bandwidth. If this thing is going to do large transfers frequently - it's equal to killing your own Wi-Fi. The rest of the clients use the same Wi-Fi channel.

I've got a GT-AX6000 suckling on the 500Mb symmetrical fiber, feeding one XT8 AP via 2.5Gb wire. AX200 module associated to the router, AX210 to said AP at roughly a 40 degree upward angle through a 2x4 SPF wall 1/2" primed/painted drywall both sides, 1/2 painted drywall ceiling, and 2x10 floor joists / subfloor / pad / carpet (perpendicular to the joists, so definitely passing through at least 2) to the upper floor.

The AX210 laptop can't poke through all that stuff so well itself, but handily iperf's 1.2 Gbps realized /from/ the AX200 laptop. Can do it all day long, standing on my head, with one arm tied behind my back.

You're correct. Mesh ain't gonna get it. Technically, the AX210 laptop does better connected to the router instead of to the AP, but then data between the laptops fares worse than /from/ the 210 to the 200 the way it is. And > 1Gb /realized/ wireless is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a tough set of requirements. You can't get >1Gbps from 2x2 radios at 80MHz bandwidth. You can with a 160MHz channel, but that requires using the 6GHz band --- which doesn't pass through walls too well --- or else finding that much free airspace in 5GHz --- which means braving DFS and perhaps also interference from neighbors. You didn't mention what your WiFi environment is like, but unless you're out in the sticks doing this in 5GHz might be problematic.

4x4 radios would fix it too, but last I heard clients with those are still mighty thin on the ground.

And, as @Tech9 points out, even if you can make it work you'll have a single client completely eating your WiFi.

How bad do you need to avoid running wires? Have you got coax cables in your walls, and if so have you looked into MoCA?

Hi I was wondering if there are any routers that can bridge through a single wall or floor in a wood frame house in a bridge or repeater mode that can do 1 GB per second or better.

One could do a wifi bridge with a couple of 4*4:4 devices - Synology RT6600ax times two running on the high channels is one example - but even there, it's half-duplex as WiFi is these days...

Go to the wire - there, it's no problem - 1000Mbps full-duplex...

How bad do you need to avoid running wires? Have you got coax cables in your walls, and if so have you looked into MoCA?

Gah - moca is a world of hurt unless the stars align just right... if OP needs to pull new coaxial cable, they might as well pull CAT6...

Gah - moca is a world of hurt unless the stars align just right... if OP needs to pull new coaxial cable, they might as well pull CAT6...
I agree that pulling new coax is dumb ... but if it's already there, it's worth trying. I've had decent success getting 1Gbps through MoCA 2.5, although getting the advertised 2.5Gbps out of it is harder. (And, as you say, that's half-duplex so not entirely comparable to ethernet figures.)

I agree that pulling new coax is dumb ... but if it's already there, it's worth trying. I've had decent success getting 1Gbps through MoCA 2.5, although getting the advertised 2.5Gbps out of it is harder. (And, as you say, that's half-duplex so not entirely comparable to ethernet figures.)

Coax is fine - the challenge is the 30 year old coax that was fine for analog TV :D

FWIW - once my Cable provider went total digital with SDV, because of poor TV reception, did a total pull on the house with new RG58, only a couple of years later with DirecTV having to do their own pull from the dish to the TV box, and dropping a couple of DECA's between...

RG58 vs RG59 and all that mess - at least with the CableTV pull, my Cable Modem improved a bit...

Goes to the whole thing with non-ethernet backhaul in the house - HomePlugs and MOCA were actually half-way good until WiFi sorted itself with MESH...

WiFi MESH, while not perfect, was and is, good enough for most folks...

Yeah, this is a tough set of requirements. You can't get >1Gbps from 2x2 radios at 80MHz bandwidth. You can with a 160MHz channel, but that requires using the 6GHz band --- which doesn't pass through walls too well --- or else finding that much free airspace in 5GHz --- which means braving DFS and perhaps also interference from neighbors. You didn't mention what your WiFi environment is like, but unless you're out in the sticks doing this in 5GHz might be problematic.

4x4 radios would fix it too, but last I heard clients with those are still mighty thin on the ground.

And, as @Tech9 points out, even if you can make it work you'll have a single client completely eating your WiFi.

The house has no Attic so running wires up the walls as a pain and there is very little coax in the house in ideal spots so mocha is out I have one gig service currently but Cox offers two now and I would like both wired and wireless clients on both floors of a two-story stick house to be able to reach 1 GB per second ideally two for future proofing.

One could do a wifi bridge with a couple of 4*4:4 devices - Synology RT6600ax times two running on the high channels is one example - but even there, it's half-duplex as WiFi is these days...
I thought the "high channels" on that unit were strangely only AC instead of the AX everything else is. Am I wrong?

Is then the lower band AC? Thought sure one of 'em was, which I considered odd if true...

Is then the lower band AC? Thought sure one of 'em was, which I considered odd if true...

Lower band is also 11ax - as is the 2.4Ghz...

If you look at the basic arch - it's an IPQ6018 SoC, with the 2.4 and 5Ghz Low bands hosted on the SoC, and the high-band WiFi is an add-on radio with the QCN9024 over PCI-e

The SoC hosted radios are 2*2:2 WiFi6, and the QCN9024 is WiFi6 4*4:4 with the WiFi6 extended coverage (not WiFi6e)

On the wire - it has one 2.5Gbe port, and the other ports are gigabit.

@glens - not sure where you're getting your info, but it's clearly not correct.

Admittedly it's been a while, likely my age is just taking its toll on me. Remembering things that never happened is never a good sign, hahaha! Thanks for setting me straight.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!