What's new

Antenna recommendations for Asus RT- AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freemantig

New Around Here
I've checked newegg, amazon and eBay but the reviews for most are mixed, vague or non existent. Does anyone have experience with some of these to point me in the right direction?

Unless your going to use a yagi type antenna (Beam) i dont think you will get much bang for your buck over the stock antennas. As always YMMV..

Does anyone have experience with some of these to point me in the right direction?
Hi,

A small search in the forum would bring you many dicussions about changing atennas. :eek:

Some time ago I started this thread about replacement atennas for my N66U device - the discussion there is still valid. I am still happy to have replacemented the middele antenna with the 5/7 dBi directed beam vs. the original 2 dBi omnidirectional antennas. Remember: More dBi gain means more focused beam!

I did the same thing with my AC68U device with no measurable improvements... :confused:
Looks like there is still a mile to go for Asus to improve the power distribution of this device (compared with the N66U with Merlins "em-build" firmware).

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
remember this is a dual band router that needs dual band directional antenna or dual band omni directional antennas

you can use higher gain antennas which would help if you are going over 100mW transmission. Wireless devices have a transmission power limit so if you are transmitting signals more powerful than they can send back than you will need higher gain antennas. I have seen 1W wifi APs before and they use very big high gain omni directional antenna so that they can recieve laptop wifi which usually peaks at 100mW or up to 500mW for some cards from much further away.

Other than that you can use directional antennas to increase reception at a particular direction compared to omni or you can even attach a dish for point to point wifi.

The stock antennas are fine but if you want better you can try getting ones that look similar. The stock antennas are low gain omni directional not beam. A few dBs higher for antenna might increase range but i would not rely on that.

Last edited: