What's new

Antivirus Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marshall

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

I'm trying to find out which antivirus product uses the least of Windows resources, I know norton, Mcafee, and trend micro continue to keep scanning the system which is why windows slows down.
I'm wondering if other antivirus products like AVG, Eset are system resource hungry and only scan when a drive is attached of an email comes through.

Thanks
Marshall

Last edited:
I use AVG and never notice it running. I don't, however, use it to scan email or run scans when I open MS Office files.

I used to be exclusively AVG, but now half of my PCs are running AVG, the other half running Avira AntiVir. I think both are good, although Avira AntiVir is claimed to have more coverage and less bloat than AVG in some reviews.

Also if you ignore past trespasses and don't mind paid software, I've heard good things about Norton Internet Security 2009 too.

I used AVG for a very long time, but eventually found the upgrade aspect annoying. Lots of failures to connect to the update server, and thereafter indicating the the software was not completely updated all the time.

About a month ago I started using Avast. So far I ike it a lot. Not so much nagging.

I loved AVG 7.5. Hated the bloat that was 8.0. I second using Avast.

Or if you can spare money, Eset NOD32. It uses very, very low system resources while being a very, very good AV.

Thanks, to all that replied.
I'm testing Eset NOD32 at the moment, and so far very impressed. my other choice would be Avira.

Last edited:
I used AVG for a very long time, but eventually found the upgrade aspect annoying. Lots of failures to connect to the update server, and thereafter indicating the the software was not completely updated all the time.

About a month ago I started using Avast. So far I ike it a lot. Not so much nagging.

Thanks for recommending Avast, Been looking for Antivirus for Mac+PC and our Exchange server. Finally I found a company that can cover all three and is reasonable in price.

One of the lightest.....Antivir. Their detection rates and top notch. Much lighter than the other freebie AV products such as Avast or AVG. Out of the 3 AVG has by far the lowest detection rates. Avast is pretty good with detection rates, but gets frequent compliants of slowing down systems. The free version of Antivir as a nag-ware purchase page that comes up each time it updates..but you can easily defeat that with a quick search on Google.

Eset NOD32 is historically known as a light antivirus, with top notch heuristics, frequently in the top group of the charts over at av-comparatives.org

For years...I've detested Norton/Symantec antivirus products, as they're frequently known of making your system feel like a Pentium 75 with 16 megs of RAM after you install it. But to be honest...their latest 2009 product was totally revamped, it's VERY light, and they're determined to get on top of the detection rate charts and stay up there. Small frequent updates every 15 minutes. Less than 10 megs of RAM usage.

For years...I've detested Norton/Symantec antivirus products, as they're frequently known of making your system feel like a Pentium 75 with 16 megs of RAM after you install it. But to be honest...their latest 2009 product was totally revamped, it's VERY light, and they're determined to get on top of the detection rate charts and stay up there. Small frequent updates every 15 minutes. Less than 10 megs of RAM usage.
I've had the same opinion of Norton after a bad experience with it many moons ago. Nice to know that they have gotten their act together.

Still...it's hard to compete with free....and good!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!