What's new

Any experience with Solus OS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Peter Kendrick

Occasional Visitor
I am on Windows 10 and I'm thinking of trying a different OS. I tried Fedora and Ubuntu but I had no experience in command shell to install wireless drivers. I came across Solus OS, Budgie and Mate. But these are also Linux distributions. GNOME is heavy I read.

If you are using Solus, did the wireless worked out-of-the-box? How is your experience with the OS?

I have Dell Inspiron 15-3567 i3-8th gen and a 4 gig ram. I use my laptop for heavy browsing (lots of tabs), Google products like docs and excel within the browser, and streaming.

What would you suggest?

opensuse uses KDE but also offers gnome, KDE is lighter than gnome and as an OS, opensuse appeals to admins and developers. I dropped ubuntu long ago when it became arrogant, expecting people to bend to their way when it comes to hardware setups.

Installing wireless drivers was easy with opensuse.

I have Dell Inspiron 15-3567 i3-8th gen and a 4 gig ram. I use my laptop for heavy browsing (lots of tabs), Google products like docs and excel within the browser, and streaming.

Ubuntu, out of the box, should just run on the Dell - that's what they ship for their Linux default installs...

I've seen Solis, but never was inclined to explore it, as most of my work is either RedHat (and variants thereof) or Debian (and variants like Ubuntu)

What I would suggest is play around and see what works best - Install VirtualBox and run each distro as a VM to kick the tires...

Mint is a good user-friendly Linux distro, if you are looking for a Linux desktop.

did the wireless worked out-of-the-box?

That's a rather broad question. It will depend on the specific wireless card you have.

Ubuntu, out of the box, should just run on the Dell - that's what they ship for their Linux default installs...

I've seen Solis, but never was inclined to explore it, as most of my work is either RedHat (and variants thereof) or Debian (and variants like Ubuntu)

What I would suggest is play around and see what works best - Install VirtualBox and run each distro as a VM to kick the tires...
Red hat FTW :p

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!