What's new

Any hopes to ever have network map/device list ever again?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rkk2025

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
Since a few versions ago, the list of connected devices (Not sure how it was called, network map or so) seems to be completely broken on my AC68U.

From what I remember this is an upstream Asus issue, but it has been now going on like this for months (half a year so far?).

Has there been any discoveries regarding fixing this issue so far? Is this issue happening also with the latest AsusWRT version or is it a AsusWrt-merlin thing?

I'm starting to be hesitant about ever buying another Asus router again, as I bought mine, apart from good WiFi performance, because it had the "Traditional QOS" mode which had a broken implementation since I got the router (3 years ago). This has never been fixed in the upstream firmware, and now the network map is also completely broken for months. Are the new Asus router models the same feature broken?

The network map works fine for me.

What is the issue you are seeing?

The only caveat I am aware of is that your network cannot be larger than a /24 (255.255.255.0 netmask or smaller).

Hi,
Since a few versions ago, the list of connected devices (Not sure how it was called, network map or so) seems to be completely broken on my AC68U.

From what I remember this is an upstream Asus issue, but it has been now going on like this for months (half a year so far?).

Has there been any discoveries regarding fixing this issue so far? Is this issue happening also with the latest AsusWRT version or is it a AsusWrt-merlin thing?

I'm starting to be hesitant about ever buying another Asus router again, as I bought mine, apart from good WiFi performance, because it had the "Traditional QOS" mode which had a broken implementation since I got the router (3 years ago). This has never been fixed in the upstream firmware, and now the network map is also completely broken for months. Are the new Asus router models the same feature broken?
Is it a TMobile unit by chance?

According to Asus' change logs for the RT-AC68U there were unspecified fixes to the Network Map in 3.0.0.4.384.45708 and 3.0.0.4.384.81049.

So for Merlin's firmware you'd need to be on 384.12 for the first fix and 384.14 for the second.

There is no problem of network map / device list since several versions
384.45717 , 384.81351 or 384.13, 384.14_beta works perfectly fine

Maybe its time to factory reset and reconfig ;)

Network Map never worked better for me, RT-AC86U, Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 firmware.

Oww, ok. That sounds like good news. I'm on 384.13 and it's always stuck saying "Searching please wait". If I go to "View List" it just says "No data available". I haven't tried with a factory reset for a while. Will try with that first. Thank you for the good news!

@rkk2025, you may find the M&M Config link in my signature below helpful then to get your router back to a good/known state. :)

Oww, ok. That sounds like good news. I'm on 384.13 and it's always stuck saying "Searching please wait". If I go to "View List" it just says "No data available". I haven't tried with a factory reset for a while. Will try with that first. Thank you for the good news!
rkk, while you are trying other solutions, try Wireless Network Watcher or its equivalent. Despite the name it records all network devices and offers more detail that the router UI as well. Nir also has a number of other very compact, useful, network tools.

I had a similar issue. [https://www.snbforums.com/threads/reset-entire-adaptive-qos-section.60274/ ] Screenshot in post showing "no data" same as you. I ran a script called clear-macid.sh which fixed the issue for me. Also try "FreshJR" implementation of enhanced adaptive qos. It was a game changer for me given my internet comes from wifi hotspot.

Basic instructions (quick and dirty is just copy paste the lines below into the router but a better method is):
on router type "nano clear-macid.sh" somewhere where you want to store the file.
Copy paste the contents below starting with the #! line and ending on the "echo Complete".
Ctrl o to save then ctrl x to exit.
type "chmod 755 ./clear-macid.sh" to make it executable.
type "./clear-macid.sh" without quotes to execute it.

This resolved my issue with a router showing no data in network map, qos list and a few other places.

#!/bin/sh

echo "Clear MAC Filter Lists"
# Clear mac-list entries in case of format incompatibility
nvram unset wl_maclist
nvram unset wl0_maclist
nvram unset wl1_maclist
nvram unset wl2_maclist
nvram unset wl_maclist_x
nvram unset wl0_maclist_x
nvram unset wl1_maclist_x
nvram unset wl2_maclist_x
nvram unset wl0.1_maclist
nvram unset wl1.1_maclist
nvram unset wl2.1_maclist
nvram unset wl0.2_maclist
nvram unset wl1.2_maclist
nvram unset wl2.2_maclist
nvram unset wl0.3_maclist
nvram unset wl1.3_maclist
nvram unset wl2.3_maclist
nvram unset wl0.1_maclist_x
nvram unset wl1.1_maclist_x
nvram unset wl2.1_maclist_x
nvram unset wl0.2_maclist_x
nvram unset wl1.2_maclist_x
nvram unset wl2.2_maclist_x
nvram unset wl0.3_maclist_x
nvram unset wl1.3_maclist_x
nvram unset wl2.3_maclist_x

nvram commit

echo "Complete"

Last edited:
Hi, thank you all for the suggestions. I just noticed with the last beta firmware that I have
NVRAM usage 65460 / 65536 bytes
Running the nvram unset commands from @Rudi did not change anything.
I will report back after factory resetting the router (When I finally find some time)

Hi, thank you all for the suggestions. I just noticed with the last beta firmware that I have
NVRAM usage 65460 / 65536 bytes
Running the nvram unset commands from @Rudi did not change anything.
I will report back after factory resetting the router (When I finally find some time)

I have found this command very successful in reducing nvram consumption without causing problems.
Not my code but saved from a post on this forum ...
Code:
for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done; nvram commit

EDIT: As far as I can tell this is the original post for the above solution ...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/low-nvram-despite-factory-defaulting-etc.38573/#post-318375
Note however that the code in that post lacked the "nvram commit" at the end of the line - which resulted in the bloated nvram returning after reboot!

Last edited:
I have found this command very successful in reducing nvram consumption without causing problems.
Not my code but saved from a post on this forum ...
Code:
for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done; nvram commit
Be careful. That will delete variables with values that end with an '='. In my setup that includes:
Code:
sshd_authkeys
ddns_passwd_x

You can check by doing:
Code:
nvram show | grep =[[:alnum:]]*=$

Be careful. That will delete variables with values that end with an '='. In my setup that includes:
Code:
sshd_authkeys
ddns_passwd_x

You can check by doing:
Code:
nvram show | grep =[[:alnum:]]*=$

My understanding is that it only deletes lines which end in "=" ... i.e. followed by blank / null entry - so effectively an unutilized line in the NVRAM.

EDIT: I have never had any issues after using the code on RT-AC5300 / RT-AC86U and more relevant the DSL-AC68U [which has limited NVRAM capacity to begin with]. Besides - if you reflash your firmware it will bring all the blank lines back again.

Last edited:
My understanding is that it only deletes lines which end in "=" ... i.e. followed by blank / null entry - so effectively an unutilized line in the NVRAM.
Run
Code:
nvram show | grep =$
and see what's listed. Those two variables do end with an equal sign on my system. They're Base64.

This should work:
Code:
for line in `nvram show | grep ^[^=]*=$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done; nvram commit

That says to find lines that end with an equals sign and don't have any other equal signs in the line.

Last edited: