What's new

Any (Merlin) love for the Asus RT-AX82U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crodgers79

New Around Here
I noticed that Merlin supports these RT-AX series routers but the RT-AX82U gaming router is noticeably absent. Has anyone tried running any of the versions below on their RT-AX82U?

RT-AX56U386.5_2386.7 Beta1
RT-AX58U386.5_2386.7 Beta1
RT-AX86U386.5_2386.7 Beta1
RT-AX88U

Sorry for the question..... I would like to switch from an AC68U DSL to AX82U DSL, is it a good modem router?? Is it much superior to the AC68U version? I know there are different solutions but I prefer an all in one modem+router version. I also know that GNUton provides Merlin for this release. Is it a good buy?

We don't know your situation, or your expectations so can't answer if it's a good buy or not.

I suggest sticking with your current working setup. Unless there is something you need to fix there.

You're right!! The AC68U DSL has the latest GNUton firmware on board and almost all the addons available on AMTM including Skynet , Unbound , Diversion etc. Everything goes well but when I have my devices connected, especially two linux boxes that are essentially used in streaming, it goes quite to the limit both in terms of memory and above all as a processor. For this I wanted to make the switch to a DSL AX82U

It doesn't matter if your current modem/router hits the limits of its RAM and CPU. That is what it is built for.

Is it directly interfering with your network use? That is the question you need to answer. And even if it is, that doesn't mean that the AX82U is the appropriate upgrade either (both are pretty basic routers).

I see the 68 as very tight and I've owned it for years, I was thinking of switching to the AX82 to have a fresher and more performing machine. I guess the 82's wifi is superior. I don't know if it's a simple machine but I want an all in one machine ie modem+router and considering this aspect, I don't have much to choose

I also consider that the 68 will never have 388 firmware, so its development ends here. With the new router I can use the GNUton 388, if needed I would have wireguard etc. But I was wondering if this AX82 is a good model or not

The newer firmware and additional features will make any performance advantage over the old model moot (if not immediately, then shortly).

RT-AX82U - Tech Specs|WiFi Routers|ASUS Global

DSL-AX82U - Tech Specs|Modem Routers|ASUS Global

Looking at the specs for the RT version (because the DSL version doesn't list it), that isn't a huge step up from your current modem/router.

Considering that you have a DSL connection.

You won't see anywhere near the WiFi speeds to the 'net the DSL-AX82U offers.

What are your ISP speeds? Will you benefit from your LAN to have faster WiFi (i.e. to a NAS, etc.)?

Assuming the DSL-AX82U has the same tri-core 1.5GHz processor as the RT version, I didn't find them satisfactory with the RT-AX58U. Yes, the WiFi on my 1Gbps symmetrical ISP was better (than the RT-AC86U), but the overall network performance was visibly worse.

Even when I just used the underpowered RT-AX58U as a wired AIMesh node, the performance of the entire network suffered. I just don't see how this could be different in the DSL flavor you're so intent on getting.

If you truly want a performance increase in every respect, I suggest a separate modem and an RT-AX68U as a start (least money spent). That will get you to 2022 performance levels all around.

In the meantime, thanks for the replies. But online I found the DSL-AX82U for 199 euros, the same price as the RT-AX68U to which, however, I would have to add a separate modem. Another reason why I was interested in AX82 ..... if you tell me that the AX82U processor is not performing, then the matter changes

Doesn't your ISP provide you with a modem?

But I was wondering if this AX82 is a good model or not

Better than your current DSL-AC68U in everything and also has an Ethernet WAN port. It's one of the "gaming" versions of RT-AX58U hardware with radio features unlocked, different style and RGB lights. The user feedback from RT-AX82U model is very positive. It will be a good upgrade for you.

Are you telling me that the AX68U model

Forget about RT-AX68U model. One single person on SNB Forum is recommending this perhaps already discontinued model. It disappeared from stores here in Canada months ago. It has a history of firmware and performance issues, not popular model. Do your homework. ;)

Last edited:
Get one DSL-AX82U from a store with return policy. Test it and see how it performs. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Happy New Year!

There are many, many people happy with the RT-AX68U. See the RMerlin download stats for that model.

Be sure to take advice from a non-user gf Asus routers with a large helping of salt. I don't know what benefits they reap by making up 'discontinued' status for models the know so little about.

What is the cost for the ISP equipment? Why not just use your existing DSL-AC68U in bridge mode to the new RT-AX68U?

The hardware on the RT-AX68U is vastly superior to the DSL-AX82U.

Order both, and see for yourself that the RT-AX68U is the superior product.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!