What's new

Any way around double NAT?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

houghton19

Regular Contributor
I’m hoping to change ISP soon, as current one with Openreach is only about 50 meg and new FTTP being installed will give either 1 or 2 gig. Doing a little research into them and the current router they provide, at the moment doesn’t provide a “modem only mode”. I want to use my current Asus 16000 AXE but this will cause a double NAT I believe, is there any other way around this?

thanks.

Not really unless you use your Asus router as a access point instead of a router.

Most ISPs in the uk you'll be able to connect your asus directly to the ONT. A lot of those use pppoe for which you'll need your login details.
Don't tell me you're thinking vodafone.

Would probably help to know who the service provider is, and if the ISP isn't the infrastructure provider who that would be also? Oh and are you getting/keeping a landline phone connection?

Most ISPs in the uk you'll be able to connect your asus directly to the ONT. A lot of those use pppoe for which you'll need your login details.
Don't tell me you're thinking vodafone.
No as I say all Openreach services are copper, limiting me to 50meg (very strange as using a openreach modem I get 50-55meg) but BT hub I get 70…… but want to use my asus. It’s Virgin that have recently been laying FTTP but they only offer the hub5x which at the moment doesnt support modem only mode.

It’s going to be Virgin FTTP, they seemingly use a ONT/Router all in one that doesn’t currently have a modem only mode and i wont be using any landline/voip service.

It’s going to be Virgin FTTP, they seemingly use a ONT/Router all in one that doesn’t currently have a modem only mode and i wont be using any landline/voip service.

See if the router/modem (Gateway) has a IP pass or DMZ feature. AT&T offer gateways with no true bridge mode but offer IP pass as a work around.

I have just been sent this screenshot of the Virgin router, it shows DMZ. I wondered if you could port forward everything to the asus. This is the 5 but the newer 5x may be different.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.png
    IMG_0428.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 17
Here you can learn more about IP passthrough and DMZ. I know it's AT&T but still worth reading.

I have just been sent this screenshot of the Virgin router, it shows DMZ. I wondered if you could port forward everything to the asus. This is the 5 but the newer 5x may be different.
What is the actual problem you're anticipating? I ran my Hub 5 for a while in its "router mode", placing my Asus in it's DMZ. You still have double NAT but it didn't cause me any issues.

I’ll. e honest, I’ve never had a issue with double Nat as I’ve only ever used one, I’ve just heard people having issues with it, was hoping to avoid it before having any troubles.

I’ve just heard people having issues with it, was hoping to avoid it before having any troubles.
I think that's mostly an old wives' tale from years ago. There's always going to be edge cases but most of the time it's not an issue. At the end of the day if the new Hub 5x doesn't offer a modem-only/passthrough mode then there's nothing you can do about that.

I’ll. e honest, I’ve never had a issue with double Nat as I’ve only ever used one, I’ve just heard people having issues with it, was hoping to avoid it before having any troubles.
The biggest problem with double Nat is that if you ever contact customer service they will blame every network issue on the double NAT and to help you they may want you to directly connect to their ONT/modem/router directly. The only thing that is more difficult with a double NAT is if you want to run a server on your second network.

I’ve just heard people having issues with it

It's like "asking for a friend". 🤭

Why troubleshooting currently non-existing issue?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!