What's new

Any way to access minidlna over the Internet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elenhil

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,

I wonder if it is possible to access the router's built-in MiniDLNA server over the Internet, and not just from within my LAN?

DLNA is specifically designed to only work within the local network (the broadcast domain). So to remotely access media using DLNA you would have to use a bridged network connection, i.e. OpenVPN via TAP.

DLNA is specifically designed to only work within the local network (the broadcast domain). So to remotely access media using DLNA you would have to use a bridged network connection, i.e. OpenVPN via TAP.
Well, I dunno. I normally use BubbleUPnP Server which has an option to make the collection accessible via the Internet, too. It's just that it runs from my desktop (while my collection is on a USB drive plugged into the router), and I wanted to access my music while I'm away (and my desktop is off). So I figured this firmware's built-in tools might provide a similar functionality without an extra PC/server.

So, all this iTunes Server, Ai Music etc stuff is strictly LAN?

Well, I dunno. I normally use BubbleUPnP Server which has an option to make the collection accessible via the Internet, too.
To access media over the internet with BubbleUPnP you have to use their app and connect to the BubbleUPnP server. So it's acting as a kind of proxy. As far as I know MiniDLNA doesn't have this ability, it's just a local DLNA server.

So, all this iTunes Server, Ai Music etc stuff is strictly LAN?
Sorry, I don't know anything about those products.

So I figured this firmware's built-in tools might provide a similar functionality without an extra PC/server.
The firmware likely does, using one of the VPN server options within the firmware. Connecting to the local network using VPN may potentially allow for DLNA access. Generally DLNA is designed and intended for local network access. BubbleUPnP Server works for remote access because the BubbleUPnP Server (and it's client programs) itself is allowing remote access not the miniDLNA server. Other options for remote media streaming include setting up a Plex Media Server on the local network and using Plex's remote streaming feature(s). When configuring remote access to stream media, one may have to enable port forwarding and possibly use other features like DDNS. As always there are potential security concerns to be aware of when allowing remote access to local network devices or services.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!