What's new

Anyone here have or use a Transcend Storejet Cloud?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Glen_S

New Around Here
I picked one of these up last year for $200 at a clearance sale, with 2 4TB WD Blue drives in it, I couldn't pass it up.

When I first set it up, I was able to set up folders, and pretty sure I copied some folders over to it etc. just to test.

Then I decided not to use it until I got some bigger drives, so I picked up 2 8TB Ironwolf drives for it and installed them, formatted the drives and configured to raid1, went into the setup, created a data folder & share in the public folder, and gave it guest permission.

I went to copy over my 4TB images folder from my local drive to the data share on it using syncback, and it fails, saying it has no permissions to create folders.

So I map it as a drive, it lets me copy a single file to it, but not a folder, again a permissions issue.

When I try and add local folders to it from the web interface as per their manual, it won't let me pick folders, just individual files.

Did I make a mistake replacing both drives at once and lose some settings?

Their web interface is very limited, perhaps if I can ssh into it and get at the OS I can make some changes that way, but I don't know if that's possible.

Curious if anyone here has one of these drives and/or has any suggestions..

thanks in advance.

I went to copy over my 4TB images folder from my local drive to the data share on it using syncback, and it fails, saying it has no permissions to create folders.

So I map it as a drive, it lets me copy a single file to it, but not a folder, again a permissions issue.

Permissions - in linux, recall this is "user/group/world" - so this goes to who owns the files at the linux level - samba goes above this

Put another way - inside linux, the files are normally owned by the samba process, and then samba grants perms as needed...

In your case - it does sound like the samba user doesn't have access to the files on the drive - you'll see them as root, but if samba can't at least read...

Thanks for the reply. I am beginning to wonder if the Seagate drives in it just won't work, they are not in the list of approved drives but the vendor I bought them from said these should be fine.

The only difference is is that they are 7200 rpm and not 5400.

I may try accessing this via putty or something and see what I can see, but my linux skills are pretty rusty.

For starters though, I am going to put original 4TB drives back in and see what happens - if it's the new 8TB drives that are the issue I can find a home for them in my old i7 Dell.

update - I put the original 4TB WD drives back in in case the unit just didn't like the new drives but same issues persist. I created a folder in the public folder, gave it guest access, but am unable to create a subfolder from windows in it, I still get the permissions error. It does let me copy a single file into it, but that's rather useless.

I did manage to ssh into a command line using putty, as the admin user account, so I guess I can do some playing with that if I can remember how in linux (it has debian linux)

I don't know how much power the admin user has though, and have no clue what the root password would be. Their tech help so far is almost useless, and seem to know little if anything about this.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!