What's new

Anyone used the Zyxel Ant2206 2.4/5 GHz antenna?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlanH

New Around Here
I'm thinking of getting a DIR-825 and was wondering if this 2.4/5 GHz antenna might make a difference with the 825's "unimpressive" wireless range -- especially 5 GHz.

http://tinyurl.com/qahjlj

6dBi for 2.4, 8dBi for 5. Seems to be in the $30 neighborhood.

Or for a little more dough, I guess I could skip the 825 and pick up a 655 and a DAP-2553 and see if the 3-antenna AP set to 5 GHz would do a similar job (they say 5 dBi for 5 GHZ). Newegg's got a good deal on the 655/2553 right now.

Thanks!

6dBi of gain is basically the minimum to get any sort of performance improvement. It might help a bit, but it won't work miracles. Also note that the antenna isn't an omnidirectional.

Three antennas vs. 2 isn't going to make a difference. More transmit power is the key to better 5 GHz performance. And manufacturers aren't willing to put in the power amp to do it.

Got it. Thanks. Sounds like I should just go with the 825 and see how it works out. Small house anyway. Just annoying that they didn't make use of that 3rd antenna slot.

Great site, by the way. I've been camped out here all week learning stuff.

Glad you like the site. Please tell your friends and colleagues about it.

The third antenna is not used for transmit. It is used only on receive.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!