What's new

Anyway this can be implemented?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I noticed you said that you agree with Toastmans assessment of QoS.

I read his rundown here:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/qos-tutorial.68795/

Here he says you must limit your bandwidth to 85% of what your connection is capable of and must ensure that your inbound limit never maxes out.

I cannot currently due this on the stock Asus firmware, nor on your build.

This what the max DL/UL fields on the QoS page are for. That's what Toastman is referring to.

Do you mean inputting your correct information on the automatic page, and then selecting 85% max on the priorities/rule pages?

No. You'll want 85-90% on the first page, if you want to reproduce the configuration recommended by Toastman.

No. You'll want 85-90% on the first page, if you want to reproduce the configuration recommended by Toastman.

On the automatic page I do that, however when I test I consistently am still getting my full 100% download speed instead of the 85%

My upload seems to get capped, but my download always fully saturates.

On the automatic page I do that, however when I test I consistently am still getting my full 100% download speed instead of the 85%

My upload seems to get capped, but my download always fully saturates.

Could it be because you don't have anything running with a higher priority? QoS will only kick in if there's traffic with a higher priority at the same time as traffic at a lower priority.

Anyway, this isn't really meant to be a bandwidth capper, it's just a setting meant to adjust the QoS behaviour. Bandwidth capping is something totally different - in fact it's something Toastman refuses to implement in his own build, while other variants of Tomato have it.

I never looked in details at how QoS worked because I don't fully understand how traffic classification works under Linux - that's why I don't want to mess with it, and risk breaking something.

Could it be because you don't have anything running with a higher priority? QoS will only kick in if there's traffic with a higher priority at the same time as traffic at a lower priority.

Anyway, this isn't really meant to be a bandwidth capper, it's just a setting meant to adjust the QoS behaviour. I never looked in details at how QoS worked because I don't fully undesrtand how traffic classification works under Linux - that's why I don't want to mess with it, and risk breaking something.

I have my PS4 that's hardwired set as highest, and pretty just everything else low except for DNS etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!