What's new

Anyway to definitively test for firmware upgrade issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ApK

Occasional Visitor
I held off upgrading past 376.49 for a while because I didn't want to do the full factory reset, but last light I made some time. Factory default reset, upgraded to 378.53, reentered all my routing info, static reservations, firewall scripts etc...looked all good to go!
Then today I realize the router status page still says 376.49.
:-(
I know I did the firmware upload, because I told my wife I had three minutes to clean the attic while it uploaded, and I only have the 378.53 file on my machine...but indeed the old version is still showing.

So I did the firmware update again, and it took this time. New version number, and new settings like jffs script disable no appear. I did have to resave my firewall script to the jffs partition.
But before I go through the factory reset and have to set everything up again, is there any way to test for sure if anything in corrupted or otherwise out of wack?
I mean, everything SEEMS to be working just fine....

Thanks,

ApK

I held off upgrading past 376.49 for a while because I didn't want to do the full factory reset, but last light I made some time. Factory default reset, upgraded to 378.53, reentered all my routing info, static reservations, firewall scripts etc...looked all good to go!
Then today I realize the router status page still says 376.49.
:-(
I know I did the firmware upload, because I told my wife I had three minutes to clean the attic while it uploaded, and I only have the 378.53 file on my machine...but indeed the old version is still showing.

So I did the firmware update again, and it took this time. New version number, and new settings like jffs script disable no appear. I did have to resave my firewall script to the jffs partition.
But before I go through the factory reset and have to set everything up again, is there any way to test for sure if anything in corrupted or otherwise out of wack?
I mean, everything SEEMS to be working just fine....

Thanks,

ApK

Do a factory reset after upgrading, not before.

Do a factory reset after upgrading, not before.
Ah. OK. Would that explain why I didn't see a new version after uploading perhaps?
Still, I'd be curious to know if there is any way to check for potential problems, rather than doing another full reset 'just in case.' Perhaps some kind of nvram integrity check or some such?

Ah. OK. Would that explain why I didn't see a new version after uploading perhaps?
Still, I'd be curious to know if there is any way to check for potential problems, rather than doing another full reset 'just in case.' Perhaps some kind of nvram integrity check or some such?

think of it this way. after you upgrade firmware and factory reset, it's going to behave just like you buy the router in store.

now, after you bought it home and set it up for the 1st time, is there "any way to check for potential problems"? the answer is no other than "use it". the same applies here.

think of it this way. after you upgrade firmware and factory reset, it's going to behave just like you buy the router in store.

now, after you bought it home and set it up for the 1st time, is there "any way to check for potential problems"? the answer is no other than "use it". the same applies here.

Not the same thing. Something caused Merlin to recommend a factory reset when going from earlier builds to .50, and not when going between version before or since. So something's clearly different, perhaps in the way the settings are stored. So I'm curious to know if there's a way to see the details, short of digging through the source code.
I'd like to understand what changed, and learn what the impact of not resetting might be.
After all, if I was content to simply follow instructions, I wouldn't be messing with custom firmware!

.. Z So I'm curious to know if there's a way to see the details, short of digging through the source code.

It's called a changelog. And Merlin's is at:

http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/changelog

...I'd like to understand what changed, and learn what the impact of not resetting might be. After all, if I was content to simply follow instructions, I wouldn't be messing with custom firmware!

And that's another reason for having a forum: so those who have nothing better to do with their free time can help those who have far better things to do with theirs than to read Merlin's instructions.

Last edited:
It's called a changelog. And Merlin's is at:

http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/changelog

And that's another reason for having a forum: so those who have nothing better to do with their free time can help those who have far better things to do with their free time than to read Merlin's instructions.
Geeze man, I read the changelog. That's how I knew about the advice to reset and the warnings of possible problems...you know, all the stuff I mentioned in the OP (And I read it again to see if was clear that the reset should be done after the upgrade.)
No need for you to be a jerk. If you have better things to do with your time, don't respond. Especially if you can't actually answer my question.

So I'm curious to know if there's a way to see the details, short of digging through the source code.
Not completely even by digging through the source code. A couple of reasons why a factory reset would be required are....
- There is a change to one of the closed source components (such as the wireless drivers). When these are updated, it's likely that some of the parameters internal to the component operation (which are stored in NVRAM) are changed. For example, in the case of a wireless drivers change, if you don't do a reset you may have poor range, intermittent drops, slow speeds, etc. ...or at least it won't be optimized for the code you are running.
- There is a new function that introduces new NVRAM variables which need to be initialized with a default value (this is done during a factory reset)
- A function is changed which no longer requires an NVRAM variable so it should be deleted (also done during a factory reset).
- A bug was found where an NVRAM variable was set incorrectly and needs to be forced reset.

You may also want to read Merlin's FAQ on factory resets....
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Bottom line....take the advice of whom ever is putting out the code.

Bottom line....take the advice of whom ever is putting out the code.

Yup, I kind of figured it that was where I'd end up.

Thanks for the info. You'd know the NVRAM details as well as anyone, I'd bet. I'll try your utility next time!

ApK