What's new

Apple devices can't access Internet if IPs are DHCP-assigned

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@GreyGoose Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

I have the exact same situation with iOS devices (15.1 and 15.1.1, not tried 15.2 yet) not being able to connect to a repeated WiFi using DHCP - static IP works just fine. There is a slight difference in that I have a RT-AX55 (3.0.0.4.386_45934) connected to the UDM (UniFi OS 1.11.0 and Network 6.5.55).

macOS 12.0.1, Win10, Win11 and a couple of different Androids work just fine.
Nope, I never did. I bought two UniFi Access Point WiFi 6 Lite devices and have wired the first in to replace an ASUS repeater elsewhere, which has worked better for WiFi roaming. The remaining UniFi AP will replace the ASUS device that is the topic of this discussion. Sure, wiring the ASUS RT-AC66U may solve the WiFi repeater related DHCP issue, but I've had enough of mixed brand WiFi bits and pieces. The UniFi Single-pane-of glass will simply be less headache to manage a proper mesh.

Good luck and please post if you solve it!

How are the LAN settings of the RT-AC66U as wireless repeater?
ASUS.jpg

The LAN settings look ok, I know with a RT-N66U in Media Bridge Mode it is better to manually assign everything, otherwise it frequently disconnects from the main router.
It might be a stupid firmware glitch, too bad the RT-AC66U (and RT-N66U) are no longer maintained with firmware updates.
Wireless Repeater mode I know from the past with other routers was never very reliable.
Just for testing purpose you might see if the same issue exist if you make the RT-AC66U a wired Access Point.

Maybe it is the Ubiquiti UniFi protocol that some where doesn't line up with the Asus Wireless Repeater setup.

A few guesses: 1 Something is funky with ipv4/ipv6 address assignment/handling. Try disabling ipv6 and see what happens. 2 will the iDevices connect to each other on the LAN? (Ping iMac.local). 3 assign a static IP in your DHCP server to the ASUS, even though it is a repeater something funny might be happening with IP. 4 try turning off network privacy (Private WiFi address in WiFi settings) on the iDevice for all your home WiFi network names.

A few guesses: 1 Something is funky with ipv4/ipv6 address assignment/handling. Try disabling ipv6 and see what happens. 2 will the iDevices connect to each other on the LAN? (Ping iMac.local). 3 assign a static IP in your DHCP server to the ASUS, even though it is a repeater something funny might be happening with IP. 4 try turning off network privacy (Private WiFi address in WiFi settings) on the iDevice for all your home WiFi network names.
I disabled IPv6, assigned a static IP from the UniFi DHCP server and turned off network privacy on the iPhone but still no connection. The iPhone does not appear to get a reply from the UniFi DHCP server, or the DHCP request is not reaching the UniFi DHCP server, so an iPhone only connects if IP settings are all set statically on the iPhone. Windows works in any of these DHCP modes. I think there's something with the way Apple sends a DHCP request or the way that the RT-AC66U forwards it (or doesn't if it's not formed as expected). Nonetheless, I call it quits and will retire the RT-AC66U by next weekend.

Well? Someone posted a reply to this thread, and then it disappeared (I'll assume they wanted to help anonymously, so I'll just say thanks without naming them):

It works with iPhone if you remove the following option:

#Option Router
dhcp-option=3

Comment that out and iPhone can connect.

I haven't tried it yet, but thanks o_O

Can anyone explain how to edit dnsmasq.conf on an ASUS RT-AC66U to remove the text below:
#Option Router
dhcp-option=3

Also, I read that changes are lost when the router restarts as the file is reset back to a default version.
Clueless here, and would appreciate some pointers please.

as simple as
nano /etc/dnsmasq.conf

and change to:
---
#Option Router
# dhcp-option=3

---
or (I believe this is the format used by the router)
---
#Option Router
#dhcp-option=lan,3

---
*If it's in there
**While it's what you asked, I'm not sure it'll have the desired effect!

Also, if you were *adding* options rather than removing them, then I'd be using:
conf-dir=/mnt/usbhd1/dnsmasq.conf.d/
to give you access to (previously created) directory on the USB drive "usbhd1" where you can store additional .conf files

Can anyone explain how to edit dnsmasq.conf on an ASUS RT-AC66U to remove the text below:
#Option Router
dhcp-option=3

Also, I read that changes are lost when the router restarts as the file is reset back to a default version.
With stock Asus firmware it will not work. The AC66U is a bit old but is still supported with John's Fork which allows many tweaks.

#Option Router
dhcp-option=3

1. You said the RT-AC66U was running as a repeater. Therefore it isn't even running dnsmasq.
2. Even if it were running, that specific line is not present. The router already uses the correct options when in "router mode".