What's new

Archer AX6000 vs R8000p x6s

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R0tten

New Around Here
Hi all. I narrowed my choices down to 2 routers that I am interested in. Apart from the marketing, there are a lot of features I find interest in for these. I understand that the archer ax6000 is dual band and the r8000p is tri band? If so, is the x6s tri band router better than the archer ax6000 overall? I also think the ax6000 has more stream channels (4?) [which is recommended in some articles around here] compared to the x6s? I have a lot (6+?) of 2.4ghz devices and a few (3+?) 5ghz devices. Most smart home things that come out are 2.4ghz, so I don't think I should be too concerned about tri band / dual band, unless it is worth it? I plan to get more smart home products within the next 3 or so years. I am also interested in the AX6000 compared to the r8000p as it has more processing power... so it seems to have more potential - will it get fulfilled? Obviously the firmware has to be correct to take advantage. I also like the 8 ports compared to 4, including 2 year warranty vs 1. But... my main concerns are "future proof", great 2.4ghz support/throughput, and last place... expand-ability. It seems like the AX6000 has the R8000p beat except it only has dual band support which might get dropouts on many devices? I wish it was benchmarked so I have better numbers :\.

Which is recommended of these? price is not a concern..

Last edited:
First, what is your current router?

You are not future-proofing by buying an AX router now. The spec is still not released and routers do not yet support OFDMA. Unless you have any AX client devices (the only ones right now available in the U.S. is Samsung S10 smartphones) you can't use OFDMA anyway.

If your main interest is good 2.4 GHz performance, there is no need to buy AX or tri-band products. A four-stream AC router like the NETGEAR R7800 will do fine.

First, what is your current router?

You are not future-proofing by buying an AX router now. The spec is still not released and routers do not yet support OFDMA. Unless you have any AX client devices (the only ones right now available in the U.S. is Samsung S10 smartphones) you can't use OFDMA anyway.

If your main interest is good 2.4 GHz performance, there is no need to buy AX or tri-band products. A four-stream AC router like the NETGEAR R7800 will do fine.

Thank you for helping and the great site :). For the last 2 routers I had the R7000, which spanned out over about 5+ years. They were good to me for a while (small hiccups here and there). Both of them took a jolt from a lightning bolt and bit the dust a few years apart. For the last 1-2 years I've been adding more smart devices and since noticed the speed / bandwidth has been choking (before it died). By future proofing, I really just mean total throughput and handling many more clients/devices, etc (mostly). When I used the router with all devices connected, my online movie streams start to crawl, and other devices feel the pain too. I'm reaching for something bigger and (with a more improved firmware??? I hope to have more potential from the x6s down the road) faster (CPU/ram)? I got the x6s on sale for the prime day shenanigans at $200. I was thinking... if I'm buying this one (x6s) why not go for the TP link at $250 that has more..... 8 ports compared to 4 (eliminates my need for a switch), 2 year warranty vs 1, 2.5Gb port, etc. Then I noticed it has dual band not tri band - that's where I got interested to know which of these would, at least theoretically, be better. Since it hasn't been benchmarked yet? I am mostly an enthusiast in the networking world and like to check out new features but not so much as to sacrifice speed :p

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!