What's new

Are the Entware installation instructions stale?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SnakeByte

Regular Contributor
I'm attempting to install Entware on an ASUS RT-AC68U with firmware 3.0.0.4.374.38_1.

I'm following the instructions here.

The "easy" way states that I just need to run the existing entware-setup.sh shell script, yet it doesn't exist anywhere in the filesystem.

Following the "old" way has me download the script and run it, but that fails:
wget -O - http://wl500g-repo.googlecode.com/svn/ipkg/entware_install.sh | sh
Connecting to wl500g-repo.googlecode.com (74.125.25.82:80)
- 100% |*************************************************************************************************************| 1101 0:00:00 ETA
Info: Checking for prerequisites and creating folders...
Info: Opkg package manager deployment...
Connecting to wl500g-repo.googlecode.com (74.125.25.82:80)
opkg 100% |*************************************************************************************************************| 456k 0:00:00 ETA
Connecting to wl500g-repo.googlecode.com (74.125.20.82:80)
opkg.conf 100% |*************************************************************************************************************| 112 0:00:00 ETA
Info: Basic packages installation...
/opt/bin/opkg: line 1: syntax error: unexpected "("
/opt/bin/opkg: line 1: syntax error: unexpected "("
Info: Cleanup...
Info: Congratulations!
Info: If there are no errors above then Entware successfully initialized.
Info: Found a Bug? Please report at wl500g-repo.googlecode.com

Is my particular router incompatible with this, or are the instructions no longer valid?

I'm attempting to install Entware on an ASUS RT-AC68U with firmware 3.0.0.4.374.38_1.

I'm following the instructions here.

The "easy" way states that I just need to run the existing entware-setup.sh shell script, yet it doesn't exist anywhere in the filesystem.

Following the "old" way has me download the script and run it, but that fails:

Is my particular router incompatible with this, or are the instructions no longer valid?

Entware doesn't work on the RT-AC68U. Entware is only for MIPS-based routers, and the AC68U is ARM-based.

Hi,

As of now you have to use Optware - see instructions here. :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Hi,

As of now you have to use Optware - see instructions here.

Thanks Joe. I think you meant this link.

And just in case someone else reads this, that link isn't even necessary. Simply install Download Master from the USB Application menu to install optware. (You can then uninstall Download Master afterwards since, apparently, optware stays put.)

I think that's the best option with DD-WRT FW.

I tried a DD-WRT FW for a while and DNLA (which is a broken in official releases and merlins releases after 36) is a thing of beauty, super fast.

I think that's the best option with DD-WRT FW.

I tried a DD-WRT FW for a while and DNLA (which is a broken in official releases and merlins releases after 36) is a thing of beauty, super fast.

What exactly is broken in Merlin build?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

What exactly is broken in Merlin build?

From 37 and up miniDLNA doesn't play properly some media (video) files. Many users reported this, including me. e.g.
- you can't play the whole movie, it stops after a while (10/15 minutes)
- rewinding is almost impossible, it hangs after a few tries

From 37 and up miniDLNA doesn't play properly some media (video) files. Many users reported this, including me. e.g.
- you can't play the whole movie, it stops after a while (10/15 minutes)
- rewinding is almost impossible, it hangs after a few tries

I made a debian build for arm devices with minidlna included, maybe later I will post the link because I'm not at home right now.
It's similar with this http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=14573

yeah man, tnx, I saw your post before but it wasn't for arm devices;

I'll definitely try it, cheers

edit:
not worth reading ...
just like merlin wrote in a second post Entware doesn't work with AC68U

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!