What's new

Are VPNs used for specific kinds of applications or environments?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loritharp

New Around Here
What is Virtual private Network(VPN) ? I heard about VPN many times. I am actually confused with it. Does VPN offer virus protection? There are a number of systems that enable you to create networks using the Internet as the medium for transporting data. It secures the private network as these systems use encryption and other security mechanisms to ensure that only authorized users can access the network and that the data cannot be interceptedMy operating system is windows7 . Can i use this for my system? I am writing a thesis at essay writing service reviews on the topic various types of computer networks. How can i install this for my system. How the virus protection is done with virtual private networks.

What is Virtual private Network(VPN) ? I heard about VPN many times. I am actually confused with it. Does VPN offer virus protection? There are a number of systems that enable you to create networks using the Internet as the medium for transporting data. It secures the private network as these systems use encryption and other security mechanisms to ensure that only authorized users can access the network and that the data cannot be interceptedMy operating system is windows7 . Can i use this for my system? I am writing a thesis at essay writing service reviews on the topic various types of computer networks. How can i install this for my system. How the virus protection is done with virtual private networks.

Do check out the link sfx2000 provided.

In simplest words:

1. A VPN will override your existing IP with a new one. One that can be from any region in the world (you get to choose which region)
2. It secures the data that passes from one device to another. It sort of passes it through an encryption tunnel.
3. It may protect your data from being accessed by hackers, especially in the case of public WiFis but it's not the same as an antivirus which can provide protection from malware, spyware and others.
4. It's not really difficult to install a vpn client on a system. what would you like to install it for? you should search for vpns mentioning the OS along with the brand name, for instance abc vpn for xyz OS will take you to the download page of abc for xyz platform. you just have to install them on your pc or smartphone and the apps are equally easy to use as well.
5. some of the vpns you can look for include ipvanish, ivacy vpn, purevpn and vypr. you can google it for more.
6. Like I said, an antivirus works differently from a vpn. vpn is like a lan with virtual, antivirus is a tool that scans each files for virus, malware and stuff.

The primary goal of a VPN is to connect two trusted networks across a non-trusted network. Typically, a home and a work network, across the Internet.

Beyond that, people have started using them for goals that they weren't really designed to. Sometimes it's ok and it will indeed accomplish the intended goal, but other times people are making assumptions that can be wrong. So as a starting point, stick to that short description. Beyond that, you're on your own... Using it to change your public IP? Yes, as a side-effect of the technology it can accomplish that. Bypassing a local untrusted network (your country's or your ISP's)? It can, to a certain degree. Anonymizing your Internet usage? It won't.

I needed a VPN to access some sites in the USA, like Netflix, Pandora, and some government websites that I couldnt access while in Bahrain and Romania.. So, I bypassed their laws? Their restrictions?
Slowed my connection down though..

I needed a VPN to access some sites in the USA, like Netflix, Pandora, and some government websites that I couldnt access while in Bahrain and Romania.. So, I bypassed their laws? Their restrictions?
Slowed my connection down though..

Nothing illegal (except maybe in some countries like Russia or China) in bypassing geolocking. It might be against the EULA of the site/service you are trying to access however.

Nothing illegal (except maybe in some countries like Russia or China) in bypassing geolocking. It might be against the EULA of the site/service you are trying to access however.

We're not lawyers here, so we shouldn't be dispensing legal advice...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!