What's new

Asus AC3100 looking to go to Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

droidkid

New Around Here
Hi all,

I currently have all my clients nicely named with thumbnails and have IP bindings setup for my nodes and stuff. If there a way to back this stuff up before going to Merlin?

If you are flashing from a fairly recent firmware version, then you can just flash Asuswrt-Merlin on top of it, and all your settings will be retained. The only thing that may require adjusting is your VPN configuration if you used OpenVPN.

If you are flashing from a fairly recent firmware version, then you can just flash Asuswrt-Merlin on top of it, and all your settings will be retained. The only thing that may require adjusting is your VPN configuration if you used OpenVPN.
Thanks! I'm currently on 3.0.0.4.386_41535 Dec 2020. You think that will work.

Thanks! I'm currently on 3.0.0.4.386_41535 Dec 2020. You think that will work.
That's fairly old, I don't remember all the changes that occurred in the past 18 months. Try it, but be prepared to having to do a factory default reset if you encounter any weird issues.

I generally handle auto-upgrading settings changes that go back to the first 386 release when they changed format, but I cannot guarantee that Asus hasn't made any other low-level changes at the wireless level for instance that might not be optimal without a factory default reset. You'll have to test it for yourself.

That's fairly old, I don't remember all the changes that occurred in the past 18 months. Try it, but be prepared to having to do a factory default reset if you encounter any weird issues.

I generally handle auto-upgrading settings changes that go back to the first 386 release when they changed format, but I cannot guarantee that Asus hasn't made any other low-level changes at the wireless level for instance that might not be optimal without a factory default reset. You'll have to test it for yourself.
Thank for the input. I ended up staying on that build because I noticed a lot of issues with AI Mesh on newer builds. That's the main reason I'm looking to go to Merlin. I guess it light be worth it to just do my whole configuration from scratch.

Thank for the input. I ended up staying on that build because I noticed a lot of issues with AI Mesh on newer builds. That's the main reason I'm looking to go to Merlin.
AIMesh is closed source. AiMesh performance/stability in Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 will be the same as if you were running Asuswrt 3.0.0.4.386_46065.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!