What's new

Asus AC5300 issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerq

Occasional Visitor
I bought a AC5300 router on criaglist and have the following issue and need help. Region is US.

1) Speeds on first 5ghz band is very slow - 20-90mbos. My old AC1900 gives me 120mbps (max of my internet provider)

2) The First 5ghz Band is missing the higher control channels 149-165. I only see the lower channels 36-48. On my old ac1900 I see all the channels.

3) Second 5ghz band is totally non functional . I can set ssid, etc, guest ssid for it, but it does not appear to be broadcasting. I cant see any control channels , the drop done shows auto and channel 0

I have updated to the latest firmware, Merlin, old firmware, did the proper flash and reset procedure.

Help needed, TIA.

2) I believe the channel separation is by design otherwise the two 5GHz radios would interfere with each other.

3) Channel 0 usually indicates a hardware failure of that radio.

2) I believe the channel separation is by design otherwise the two 5GHz radios would interfere with each other.

3) Channel 0 usually indicates a hardware failure of that radio.
Thanks,

any idea why the speed on the working 5ghz band is so bad?

When i run the buit in speed test, i see the full 120mbps speed.

No idea. Maybe the radio circuitry has been damaged by the same thing that killed the other radio. Look at the System Log > Wireless Log page and see what link speed your client is connecting with.

Upload the official Asuswrt firmware for the router, reset it to defaults. If still Channel 0 on the second radio, it's not recognized during boot, dead. As @ColinTaylor says above, so called tri-band routers have one 5GHz radio for lower channels and one 5GHz radio for upper channels. Is the working 5GHz radio set exactly the same way it was set on your old AC1900 router in both General and Professional settings pages?

My desktop shows 866mhz up and down on the first 5ghz channel on the ac5300. On the AC1900 it is ~585/585.

I uploaded the Merlin (fan, use it on my ac1900), reset, Min config etc, and still channel is 0.

The working 5ghz is setup exactly the same in both routers.

Update: seller offered to refund partially without takign the router back, so now I have a 5300 for $30 ... which I plan to convert into a test bed / wired router ...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!