What's new

ASUS AC5300 with Merlin 384.5 100% cpu with 2 5GHz radios

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eric.G

New Around Here
Hi;

I've recently purchased a AC5300 and installed the Merlin 384.5 firmware. I had set this up with one main SSID with Smart Connect for the 2.4GHz and both the 5GHz radios, and two guest SSID
(one for the 2.4GHz band and one for the 5GHz radio 1)

Funny thing is that after a reboot it seems to run for a small amount of time (always less than 1 hour), and then the router becomes unresponsive though packets seem to still be getting through (The admin panel and the authentication of new devices stops working).

This continues unless I restart the device and disable the second 5GHz radio in the Professional tab of the admin pages. From then it behaves very well. But I'd really like to be able to take advantage of both radios.

The device is behind a separate firewall and is currently functioning as a simple AP. I'm somewhat at a loss as to how to diagnose this as I can't communicate with it when it's gone into the failed state. Any suggestions as to how I may be able to diagnose this problem?

I've tried going back to 384.4, but this exhibits the same issues.

-Eric.

I have the AC5300, and I use Smart Connect with all three bands, and do not have this problem--but I do not (presently) use any guest networks.

When you write that you can't communicate with it, have you tried enabling ssh, then sshing in when it is misbehaving? Or does it not respond to any service? Or ping?

Anything in the log? If the log is cleared on reboot you might want to set up a log server...

I have an AC5300 in Router mode - not Access Point mode. Ive never used Smart Connect - I have three separate SSID's 2,4, 5.1 and 5.2 and allocate clients manually to their respective SSIDs. No issues whatsoever with 384.5 - ALL wifi bands rock solid and stability is 100%.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!