What's new

Asus AC68U running 378.55 - USB storage vs NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TechGy

New Around Here
Hey guys,
I've had my Asus AC68U since shortly after it was released. It's currently running asuswrt-merlin 378.55. I'm just using it at my home and it typically has about 8 devices connected (wired and wireless). I'm an IT administrator, so I like to think I know what I'm doing ;) I'm looking to add some networked storage that I can use as both a backup point for some Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 laptops. I'm debating whether I should go with a dedicated NAS (probably a QNAP TS-220) or just a USB 3.0 drive connected to my AC68U - I'd like about 4TB storage. The QNAP of course would offer their Windows backup software, but I imagine I could find a way to do incremental backup from the Windows devices to the network share. I don't know that I need any of the other functionality that the NAS provides. All things equal, does anyone think there would be a noticeable speed or functionality difference?

Check the forums, but my vote is spend the money and buy a dedicated NAS. I have a Synologoy DS213J and love it. i tried the USB connected drives, but the throughput and drain on the router is not worth the hassle

I also tried a USB drive before going to a NAS (Synology DS214Play). AiCloud works, but it's far more cumbersome and limited in features than that of a full-fledged NAS. Go ahead and hook up a spare hard drive to get a sense of what you can do, then head to QNAP and Synology's websites- you can test drive a 'virtual' NAS and play with the management software.

Another Synology user here.

These routers are not designed for high throughput storage use. You'd much better going with a NAS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!