What's new

Asus AC86U + Intel 9260 + 1GB Virgin Fibre

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ryancope123

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys, just had Virgin 1GB Fibre installed and wanted the fastest possible connection between my laptop and router wirelessly.

I'm slightly confused and not the best with networking but my research so far leads me to believe the AC9260 has 2x2 channels for 1733 connection, yet my maximum speed is showing as 866 connection due to the banding channels of only being 80Mhz on the AC86U, but the router spec states 2160 over 5Ghz channel?.

I am happy to change the WiFi card and i can easily in this Alienware, it isn't really limited in the bios.

Is there anyway i can drop a WiFi card in to get past 1.3Gbps+ really want to try and get super fast speeds.

If so what do i need to buy?

Really appreciate the help, thanks all =)

I'm slightly confused and not the best with networking but my research so far leads me to believe the AC9260 has 2x2 channels for 1733 connection, yet my maximum speed is showing as 866 connection due to the banding channels of only being 80Mhz on the AC86U, but the router spec states 2160 over 5Ghz channel?.
The specs for your router are 1733 Mbps using 4 antennas and 802.11ac. Using the unofficial 1024-QAM mode this can theoretically be increased to 2167 Mbps using 4 antennas.

Most laptops have only one or two antennas. Using a laptop with two antennas the maximum link speed at 80MHz is 866.7 Mbps, or possibly 1200 Mbps using 1024-QAM.

The specs for your router are 1733 Mbps using 4 antennas and 802.11ac. Using the unofficial 1024-QAM mode this can theoretically be increased to 2167 Mbps using 4 antennas.

Most laptops have only one or two antennas. Using a laptop with two antennas the maximum link speed at 80MHz is 866.7 Mbps, or possibly 1200 Mbps using 1024-QAM.
I replaced the Killer WiFi cards on my Dell XPS 13 and 15 machines with AC9260 cards and can confirm that 866.7 Mbps is the best they will do, even with 1024-QAM.

I replaced the Killer WiFi cards on my Dell XPS 13 and 15 machines with AC9260 cards and can confirm that 866.7 Mbps is the best they will do, even with 1024-QAM.

I just read somehwere that the AX200 will allow us to get 1.2GB speeds? have you heard this

I just read somehwere that the AX200 will allow us to get 1.2GB speeds? have you heard this
No. I believe you need an AX WiFi 6 router (160 MHz).