What's new

Release Asus AC86U New Firmware - 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You might want to try moving items to Guest Network 2 or 3.

So I thought I had tested the 2nd Guest Network but I guess I hadn't. The 2nd guest network is on the main IP space, seriously what gives? I went checking the settings again and the only thing I noticed that was different is that the 1st guest network has a "Sync to AiMesh Node" option which is set to Router Only by default. Guest network 2 and 3 don't have that option. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this. Almost makes me wonder if I move my IoT network to GN3 if it'll let me start using static leases again and be on my main IP space?

Almost makes me wonder if I move my IoT network to GN3 if it'll let me start using static leases again and be on my main IP space?

Try it and find out. Root node only.

OE

well, i haven't dropped back yet but as brentil mentioned, something's up with the guest network on MY 2.4g radio. i highlight "my" cause it's the 2.4 radio and i've not completed problem determination; not sure of other folks experiences.
what i can say is that my guest clients all ihave a 192.168.. addy now which is odd, since the network/86u domain is completely different! what's weird is that some may have worked for awhile!! keyward their is "may" ok. my ecobee thermostats are on the guest network and they've been fine with access via the ecobee server as well. no more, though. both are broke now even when off guest. while they connect to my intranet, they won't connect to the ecobee server. this may indicate yet another problem but again, still doing tests.
all other clients wired and radioed work fine. so something's weird here but i'm leaning towards an asus bug. may have to revert but more pd first.

so why the lean, you ask. we had a power outage a few nights ago and my whole house gen kicked in. specturm/tw typically runs ok when we lose power but not that night. when everything came back, that's when i noticed the 192... ips in my client list. sure, it could've been there before - can't tell though. did all the full resets (3x) and manual re-entries but no change. i can tell u that the generator will test your surge protectors, k. every time a hvac unit comes on, the motor bogs down, then revs up to handle the load. you can see led lights flicker when that happens. that's a surge, people. i'm just hoping this is not a damaged 86u, just a bad build. i will revert soon but look forward to comments.
When I was on this version, I had a similar experience with devices on 2.4 guest. They would drop and fail to reconnect and the network GUI would show them connected when they weren’t. Network GUI was also mostly wrong when showing clients, but the WiFi info in system logs would be correct. I assume they share the same info so am unclear on why they never matched. Ot, but yes same experience on guest 2.4

You might want to try moving items to Guest Network 2 or 3.

So I thought I had tested the 2nd Guest Network but I guess I hadn't. The 2nd guest network is on the main IP space, seriously what gives? I went checking the settings again and the only thing I noticed that was different is that the 1st guest network has a "Sync to AiMesh Node" option which is set to Router Only by default. Guest network 2 and 3 don't have that option. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this. Almost makes me wonder if I move my IoT network to GN3 if it'll let me start using static leases again and be on my main IP space?

amazing! really glad you chose to share what worked for you cause it has certainly worked for me!! had my doubts but tried guest 2 first. it was very flakey but in fairness, it could've been user (me) error. on a whim, and after some wine, i tried guest 3 and voila, my iot devices have ips and are getting out on the web. the ecobees still have web issues but i'll work through that after a bit more wine.

this is one hell of a board. i'm proud to be a member and am grateful to folks like you and others who dedicate their time.

:) thanks so very much.

Last night I updated the firmware ( Version 3.0.0.4.386.40451 ) on both of my AC86U wifi routers using the automatic way by just upgrading the firmware....afterwards I could not login and so I then did a reset using WPS button on both wifi routers. After that, I logged in and I configured both as a MESH network like I had been using before, but now nothing in my house would connect to the guest network. Everything was working perfectly before the upgrade. I even created a 2nd guest network and it would not connect. I could get connection to the main wifi, but nothing connected on guest. Today I manually reinstalled the same firmware and now the 2nd and 3rd guest networks and main wifi network connects, but the 1st Guest network still will not connect. I am using all the default settings. ASUS AC86U device is set to Access Point/ AIMESH.

On the 2nd AC86U...I repeated the same firmware update processes and I have never been able to get ANY guest network to connect. If you go into the ASUS main menu>Network Map>Client View List>select Interface and I can see my mobile phone somewhat connect to the guest networks, but only for about 30 seconds and the Tx Rate is 1Mbps and Rx Rate is 6Mbps. My phone, for a micro second shows "connected" then goes to "obtaining IP address" and stays there for the 30 seconds. None of my other home devices connect. Yes SSID and passwords are correct. I even changed SSID's and passwords and nothing works.

So far Asus 1st level support is clueless.

***UPDATE*** The 2nd AC86U now is able to connect to the 2nd guest wifi network just like the 1st AC86U. Neither still cannot connect to the 1st guest network.

As a temporary workaround...using only one AC86U, I made the 2nd Guest network the same SSID and password, just as they were before the update, and all my stuff connects, but this is only a workaround and the main guest network is still not connecting.

Last edited:
Big Load - have you by any chance manually assigned the IPs of those devices?

Big Load - have you by any chance manually assigned the IPs of those devices?
I have devices that are connected to the main wifi and guest wifi networks assigned as Static DHCP Entries on my Untangle router/firewall. ASUS AC86U device is set to Access Point/ AIMESH.

...there lies your problem (I think)! Try undoing the Statics and re-test.

as you may have read, brentil and i have had similar guest issues. i'm fairly certain, you can forget about guest 1 working with this release. i'm using guest 3 with no statics but have several statics defined on my other radios and the wired (rj45) adapter.

here's a suggestion, i did a sw reset after installing this release and rebooted. call it overkill, but then i also did the hardware reset and manually re-entered all that config data. still, this was done while using guest 1 though and as best as we can tell, no one knows how to resolve that. running fine now but now with guest 3.

i don't use mesh, and that can bring some complications but all i can suggest is the hard reset. also, if you use nas, it's not a bad idea to dismount the drive, unplug it and only remount when you're seeing some stability.

Asus contacted me and want me to send in the RT-AC86u's. I wonder if they will just send me new ones or fix these?

After upgrading one RT-AC86U to 3.0.0.4.386_40451 and two RT-AC68U to 3.0.0.4.386.40558 in a Mesh Setup (Ethernet Backhaul Mode) I have the following strange issue:
- After some time, when connected to 2.4G on the RT-AC86U, there is no internet connection - but the WLAN connection seems to be fully intact
- Moving to 5G on the main router or 2.4G on one of the slave routers I can connect to the internet again
- I then reboot the router via the Asus app and that solves the issue
- Unfortunately this issue comes back after some time - I have monitored this now for several days but no idea what to do

Anyone who could help with that one?
Many thanks.

After upgrading one RT-AC86U to 3.0.0.4.386_40451 and two RT-AC68U to 3.0.0.4.386.40558 in a Mesh Setup (Ethernet Backhaul Mode) I have the following strange issue:
- After some time, when connected to 2.4G on the RT-AC86U, there is no internet connection - but the WLAN connection seems to be fully intact
- Moving to 5G on the main router or 2.4G on one of the slave routers I can connect to the internet again
- Unfortunately this issue comes back after some time - I have monitored this now for several days but no idea what to do

Many thanks.
Use Dual Band SmartConnect on the AC86U, fixed wifi channels fixed bandwidth.

Many thanks.

Did you reset the routers after installing .386 firmware and configure from scratch?

OE

Many thanks.

If just the one node, perhaps remove it and and add it back again.

Does the issue affect only one wireless client? What is it?

OE

If just the one node, perhaps remove it and and add it back again.

Does the issue affect only one wireless client? What is it?

OE

Its not a node (2 x RT-68U) but the master (RT-86U).

Wireless client is a phone - good point, will double check with other clients. Thanks.

Its not a node (2 x RT-68U) but the master (RT-86U).

Wireless client is a phone - good point, will double check with other clients. Thanks.

Could be the 86U 2.4 radio failing. There are reviews online to this affect.

You could make the 86U a remote node to see if the issue moves with it. And then move it back with a clean install.

One more idea... try lowering your Roaming Assistant 2.4 RSSI to -55. Maybe your layout puts your 2.4 client in node contention since 2.4 travels far. I have a suspicion that the new SDK in .386 firmware has boosted the 2.4 signal effectiveness.

OE

Last edited:
I'm getting much improved Stadia streaming performance from this firmware after upgrading from 384.16 and using the Gear Accelerator function. There is no more stuttering while streaming gameplay on the 5Ghz network.