What's new

Release Asus AC86U New Firmware - 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Could be the 86U 2.4 radio failing. There are reviews online to this affect.

You could make the 86U a remote node to see if the issue moves with it. And then move it back with a clean install.

One more idea... try lowering your Roaming Assistant 2.4 RSSI to -55. Maybe your layout puts your 2.4 client in node contention since 2.4 travels far. I have a suspcion that the new SDK in .386 firmware has boosted the 2.4 signal effectiveness.

OE

Thank you @OzarkEdge - the RSSI setting to -55 has solved the problem - all works again as expected.

Port forwarding WAN -> internal IP.. 80--->80 not working ??? all other ports seem to work fine?!
(even moved rooter internal/external - webaccess to xxxx:4444 and https only..)

eDIT:

find out: open NAT (game feauture) has priority over port forwarding.. and hidden port forward i did not know about

and

Diablo 3
PC

80,1119,6120 -> GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGY CO LTD
192.168.x.10
BOTH

Last edited:
The network map seems a lot more accurate. However, I did notice that wired connections hang around in the network map even after the device is offline. This happens with devices connected through a separate switch. Will see if the devices drop off after their DHCP lease expires.

Major problems on Merlin 18 and 19 for last couple months so hoping my move back to stock this morning continues to be as stable as it has been during the day. I use mesh (1 x RT-AC68U as node) but not Trend Mirco stuff - except I do use time scheduling, not sure if that is really Trend Micro though, as I opted out in the privacy options. Anyway, fingers crossed!

sooooooooo, I decided to go for it and upgrade the firmware to both 86u and the 68u, all seemed fine after clean set up however I saw a tab called optimization in the aimesh section soi clicked it and hmmm, it was all silent and then I thought ok well I will check that later. it's now later and both nodes are offline for some reason? I went back uninstalled the nodes and reinstalled the nodes, all connected then I took my Chromebook from one room to the other and the same thing happened again, both nodes off line, what's up?

now i see these messages: not mesh client, cant update its ip.

and now the system log has stopped for the past 15 minutes

Screenshot 2021-01-01 at 17.45.25.png

i see there was some previous discussion, any help on what to do would be appreciated , thanks
AiMesh 2 Optimize the Topology?

sooooooooo, I decided to go for it and upgrade the firmware to both 86u and the 68u, all seemed fine after clean set up however I saw a tab called optimization in the aimesh section soi clicked it and hmmm, it was all silent and then I thought ok well I will check that later. it's now later and both nodes are offline for some reason? I went back uninstalled the nodes and reinstalled the nodes, all connected then I took my Chromebook from one room to the other and the same thing happened again, both nodes off line, what's up?

Did you reset the new 386 firmware before configuring it?

OE

Did you reset the new 386 firmware before configuring it?

OE
Indeed I did, I have been waiting for ages to do this and read lots of threads and what people found to fix things. I have just uninstalled the nodes, reset manually and it seems to be okay, fingers crossed I will watch this for a bit tonight

well whilst the nodes are now recognised the error message not mesh client, cant update its ip is still being logged

Last edited:
Problem resolved, my last tv hadn't been connected using the firestick , now it's has ip address all good. System has been great so far. One issue I have found is that although I am set up for wireless backhaul, each time I try it using aimesh, it disconnects both nodes. I manually go into the setup and select Ethernet first and it works fine. ( is this the same as backhaul?) So is there a know issue with the aimesh selection of backhaul or? I am still pretty new at this so go easy if it's known and I just haven't found the thread.

I'm getting much improved Stadia streaming performance from this firmware after upgrading from 384.16 and using the Gear Accelerator function. There is no more stuttering while streaming gameplay on the 5Ghz network.

So you upgraded from Merlin to Stock?

RMerlin firmware to Stock? That's a downgrade. :)

I've decided to move from merlin to official 386, given merlin 384.18 and .19 is not stable on ac86u, meanwhile merlin's 386 is still on beta 3 and having cpu temperature issue, there is not much choice for me.

@alex1236hk the RT-AC86U has been stable on all RMerlin firmware I have used on it for the last 18 months or so.

What did you do to correct any issues you faced?

I tried looking into your past posts, but I didn't come away with anything concrete while skimming them.

At the minimum, 384.19_0 is still very stable for many of my customers. Many have also jumped to the 386.1 Beta 3 without issues either though.

@alex1236hk the RT-AC86U has been stable on all RMerlin firmware I have used on it for the last 18 months or so.

I tried looking into your past posts, but I didn't come away with anything concrete while skimming them.

At the minimum, 384.19_0 is still very stable for many of my customers. Many have also jumped to the 386.1 Beta 3 without issues either though.
I am having random crash issue on 384.19, with factory reset for multiple times and still same thing, then I suspect was my router issue and got RMAed with a new one a week ago. Still having random restart and crashlog 3 days ago.
Seriously I have no clue what went wrong, and I think I should give it a try for official 386.
There is people report for ac86u crashlog issue for 384.19 in merlin forum as well. So I guess it's not just my case?

and no, I didn't say a thing in merlin's discussion, given the fact he is already cooking 386.1, wasting time trouble shooting for the old 384.19 does not make sense.