1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus AI cloud IPhone app uploads?

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by repeater, Dec 11, 2018.

1. repeater

repeater Occasional Visitor

Hello all,

Just bought an 86U. I did a basic setup. I enabled the usb Applications like AIcloud. I was hoping that I could set my Iphone to auto send my pictures to the connected HDD? Seems Asus's app doesn't really do much of anything.

I originally bought the Synology AC2600, but could never get the cloud station to work. It was really disappointing. I don't need the VPN stuff on the 86u. I was looking for a poor mans NAS and Time machine.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Is there an app that will do what I want? Like how Amazon cloud uploads from my phone when connected to WiFi.

2. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

Photos app only automatically sends photos to iCloud. Don’t know why you wouldn’t want to use that.

I use iCloud for all my photos and I can export photos to Google Drive, Dropbox, and the files app. I would expect that you could set up USB hard drive connected to ASUS so that it appears in files app. iOS has automation scripting now so that you could write a script to get the automated upload you desire.

3. repeater

I have cloud storage with amazon. I would like a local copy.

I’ll look into the scripting thing, but an app would just be easy. Seems the Asus app is still an after thought that really has never worked well.

Thanks,

D

4. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

Okay, let me ask you this:
    • Local copy for just your use on your iPhone?
    • Is your iPhone the only Apple device?
    • Do you require access only on your home network?
    • You mentioned that you needed Mac Time Machine functionality. Is that another requirement?

5. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

6. roguetr

roguetr Regular Contributor

I'd consider a feature like that to be a little above the poor man status. Most cheap dedicated NAS devices will have cloud sync and remote access apps but the mobile device photo sync stuff I've only really seen with Drobo. The DroboPix app does exactly what you're asking but Drobo isn't cheap!

A 3rd party method sounds like the way to go. Even a three way sync has it's place sometimes (phone->google drive->nas) but is dependent on other connected hosts performing the sync to NAS.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

7. repeater

The Asus does Time Machine.
    I'd like the pictures to upload when I get home.

Everything I wanted the Synology does, but could't get to work. They both provide the same wifi speed and coverage. I know the Asus has more power, but the software and apps seem pretty slick. I have both on my desk. One is going back. Synology is going to try to remote in.

8. repeater

I got the Synology working, but I have to manually select each photo. They don’t offer the DSphoto for the router that does what I want. Guess I’ll return the synology keep the asus and figure something out.

9. repeater

10. repeater

Bought the app. It works for manual uploads, but I have not been able to get it to upload automatically. Also it concerns me that it wants access to m location all the time. I limit this to all my apps. I generally keep ass few apps as possible with the privilege. IT should just be when it is on wifi and when it senses the share.

I emailed the company. they are based in Germany.