What's new

Asus Aimesh/AP network advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ive decided to go with a single RT-AX68U, its on sale at a reduced price of about 130 dollars, alternatively 180 or so dollars when not on sale. Eitherway, its a steal for a very capable router. The AX82, 92 and TUFax5400 are perhaps more feature rich, but the AX68 seems a more capable router to me (in special range).
Going by this thread, and the hours of skimming through the internet/forums, i feel for certain its the most sane option to go for (on a budget).

Might the AX68U not reach the garage, i'd just add another asus AI router (cable backhaul). This way, i will be able to see if one single router will be enough and if thats the case, thats almost always better. Its no problem to add another AP/router if needed.

I will report back my findings for eventual future references. Thanks for your time ;)

Ive decided to go with a single RT-AX68U, its on sale at a reduced price of about 130 dollars, alternatively 180 or so dollars when not on sale. Eitherway, its a steal for a very capable router. The AX82, 92 and TUFax5400 are perhaps more feature rich, but the AX68 seems a more capable router to me (in special range).
Going by this thread, and the hours of skimming through the internet/forums, i feel for certain its the most sane option to go for (on a budget).

Might the AX68U not reach the garage, i'd just add another asus AI router (cable backhaul). This way, i will be able to see if one single router will be enough and if thats the case, thats almost always better. Its no problem to add another AP/router if needed.

I will report back my findings for eventual future references. Thanks for your time ;)
Hey could you point me to where you found it on sale? I'm considering this router as well.

In this case I would prefer to have better Wi-Fi coverage than better theoretical speeds. 100Mbps is achievable on 2.4GHz with much better range and walls penetration. You never mentioned any storage or client-to-client high speed connection requirements. You live in a country side and perhaps the Wi-Fi environment is clear around you. I'm assuming you have no more than 4 active users most of the time. I would just place a few 2.4GHz access points around the property. It doesn't matter for you what band your devices are connected to and what technology is used. What matters is if you have Internet around your property or you don't. Decide what is more important for you and choose the right equipment.

We only need coverage in the house and the garage building. The problem is reaching out to the latter, one AP is going to be in the garage building window (allready have one ready) since its walls block everything.

The closest i can get with an AP is from within the house (13 to 15m), or if using one router (20m).
Maybe i need another AP if the router wont reach from the 20m away placement in the house.

The current isp provided router isnt all that staggering, its quite a bad router when it comes to management and reliability.

Coverage around the whole property (outside, all buildings) isnt an requirement and quite…. much to ask for i think, mobile internet for those cases ;)

Thanks again for the input.
Edit: ac88u is the same price, but its a 2016 router, and range wise not that much better i think.
2.4ghz will be most important, seems that ax68u has a quite good 2.4 radio.

Last edited:
Did some testing today with the Zyxel armor Z1. Either i need the main router on another location (the point in the house thats closer to the garage) or i need two routers/ap's in the house.
So il see, maybe AX68U + some cheaper router/ap in the right place. Im aiming for two devices since the tv room needs good coverage too.

Asus hardware is good for people who like tinkering with their routers. Asuswrt is in perpetual beta and some firmware options may not work as you expect. Asuswrt-Merlin opens new possibilities, not available in Asuswrt. Both firmware options are feature rich, but not exactly easy for beginners. If you want the "easy button" solution, this is not it. You already determined your needs, now you have to determine how much time you are going to spend to configure, adjust and upgrade your new system.

So asus routers with stock firmware isnt what i should aim for? (im not bound to any brand at all, just the best price/performance ratio for my needs). Didnt think this whole project would such a 'nightmare' :p

So asus routers with stock firmware isnt what i should aim for?

I don't know what do you expect, how much free time do you have and how interested you are in playing with router settings. They are many in Asuswrt and more in Asuswrt-Merlin. This is what most people here on SNB want and like. If you prefer the "easy button" approach, there is Deco, Orbi, Eero.

I don't know what do you expect, how much free time do you have and how interested you are in playing with router settings. They are many in Asuswrt and more in Asuswrt-Merlin. This is what most people here on SNB want and like. If you prefer the "easy button" approach, there is Deco, Orbi, Eero.

Well, i have looked into some of the complete mesh-systems from TP link (deco), and those i didnt like. They where mostly one-button install based, easy and all, but quite limited in what you could do, all mobile app based. No thanks :p
Maybe RBK50 or something could be better than that though. But i will take it abit easy with this and try to figur out what will work best for the price for this situation. Just adding a AP in the right spot might do it, but in the same time, replacing the ISP standard router is due anyway sometime.

Oh and, i quite much like to 'play' with routers and networks. Worked for a company installing networks, servers and clients. But then i didnt have to choose for below 200 dollar equipment.
Anyway, il look more into it what can be done. Thanks again for your input ;)

Oh and, i quite much like to 'play' with routers and networks. Worked for a company installing networks, servers and clients.

Perfect. Stick to your AX68U plan. ;)

Perfect. Stick to your AX68U plan. ;)

Feels like that would fit the most. It will be more expensive though as i do need two devices instead of one. If am inclined to go the dedicated/asus router route, i'd be looking at two AC68U (not ax) class of devices or when looking at mesh-kits, orbi 352. Then the latter would be more capable/range i suppose, but then again, its an orbi kit system which means other drawbacks. AX68U+cheaper model is a consideration, but perhaps not orbi 352 performance/range.
Ofcourse, i'm trying to explore the used market aswell.

The upside of everything is that the house is wired so i wont be looking at wifi-only mesh/nodes.

i'd be looking at two AC68U

If you like hunting for deals - why not? A local computer store was recently selling new RT-AC1750 B1 routers for 50CAD and 2-pack RT-AC1900P for 120CAD, clearance prices. Both are RT-AC68U variants with 1GHz and 1.4GHz CPU's. I've purchased 2-pack RT-AC1900P for a friend of mine. If you are not in a hurry, a better deal may come your way. By the way, a new RT-AC68U V4 router is coming soon, with faster CPU and perhaps 2x RAM. It will be also Asuswrt-Merlin supported.

Yeah, im not in a hurry (anymore), il await and see if a good deal will pop up, be it new or used market. Wifi 6 aint a need either with one client that supports it (iphone).
While these orbi kits look very appealing for the price (200 for rbk352), its just not it. With asus i can match with different router models and the software ofcourse.

Have seen ac88u going for around 1000kr
(abit below 100 dollars), quite intresting.

If im gonna spend true money i’d not even consider any of those, but for now this is the class im into.

Anyway i will update my findings and results.

be it new or used market

Avoid AC86U routers on used market. The reason why I have described here. AC68U and variants are older tech, but perhaps the most reliable Asus routers, still sold new, supported by Asus and used by many today - AC66U B1, AC68U, AC1900P.

With asus i can match with different router models

Not really. There are AiMesh issues when mixing different models and generations routers. I would go with 2x identical units.