What's new

Asus Aimesh/AP network advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Avoid AC86U routers on used market. The reason why I have described here. AC68U and variants are older tech, but perhaps the most reliable Asus routers, still sold new, supported by Asus and used by many today - AC66U B1, AC68U, AC1900P.

Not really. There are AiMesh issues when mixing different models and generations routers. I would go with 2x identical units.

Then am left for now with either 2xac68u, 2x tuf ax5400 (deal again), or orbi 352. Their all around the same price. I think they all would fullfill the needs, but somewhere i think either the orbi or ax5400 would offer best wifi range (ej45 backhaul).

Still holding out and leaning towards AX68, no rushing. Meanwhile i have the time to reseach different options. Ive been reading about 'enterprise' grade products, like the ubiquiti edgerouter x/EAP245 combo (or ubiquiti AP), would net about the same cost as a AX68U when not on sale. 60 dollars for the edgerouter x, about 120 for one AP.
While all nice, i doubt it would offer so much more than say two AX68 class routers. I think one would need to spend somewhat more to get somewhat more real enterprise networking stuff.

Something with RMerlin would be 'enterprise' enough for this household (parents house).

parents house

Your parents house? I would never use Asus with AiMesh there - disposable hardware with beta software. In my parents house is working my older SMB equipment - Cisco router and 4x Cisco 802.11n access points. The house is large with reinforced concrete floors and brick walls, the network is 2.4GHz only. Two ISP's are providing the service, Cable 100/20 and ADSL2+ 20/1, in failover mode. Common 2x2 N client reaches full speed on 2.4GHz, 1x1 N clients reach about 50Mbps. There are like 20 devices total, including some home automation. The system is maintenance free and can do uptimes in years, if I don't touch anything. The access points cover the house and the property around. I prefer reliability over speed. Latest tech and toys I can test in my place, but not there.

Your parents house? I would never use Asus with AiMesh there - disposable hardware with beta software. In my parents house is working my older SMB equipment - Cisco router and 4x Cisco 802.11n access points. The house is large with reinforced concrete floors and brick walls, the network is 2.4GHz only. Two ISP's are providing the service, Cable 100/20 and ADSL2+ 20/1, in failover mode. Common 2x2 N client reaches full speed on 2.4GHz, 1x1 N clients reach about 50Mbps. There are like 20 devices total, including some home automation. The system is maintenance free and can do uptimes in years, if I don't touch anything. The access points cover the house and the property around. I prefer reliability over speed. Latest tech and toys I can test in my place, but not there.

Your right (and i know it). Hadn't thought that Asus hardware would be that unreliable compared to lower-end smb networking equipment. Even though im trouble shooting things there whenever needed regarding IT stuff, i would still prefer something 'that just works' over there. There probably wont be more then 100/100 for their needs (they can have 1gb/s though if wanted).
I guess il be looking deeper into smb stuff then. I explained to them today its better to take it easy and start off with a good network, if needed get piece by piece instead of rushing it.

Two hardwired AX68's would be very nice, but if edgerouter x with one AP to start with is better il dive into that aswell. What i'd be looking at for equipment? Il research more and more, thanks for your input.

Edit: ive sourced and read many threads (mostly here, and most say that consumer grade hw like Asus routers arent that much worse or even better then lower end smb hw like ER4/EAP245 class hw).

Good performance system is TP-Link Omada. The lower cost components are ER605 router, SG1008P PoE switch, OC200 controller, EAP225 AP's. It's easy to setup, almost like consumer products. You have to increase the budget. $200 limits you to mid-range consumer products only.

Good performance system is TP-Link Omada. The lower cost components are ER605 router, SG1008P PoE switch, OC200 controller, EAP225 AP's. It's easy to setup, almost like consumer products. You have to increase the budget. $200 limits you to mid-range consumer products only.

Ok, for the omada network i'd need all of those devices right? Ive worked mainly with Cisco, HP (proliant) networking and servers, never tp-link. Not that i'd want Cisco hardware as i remember them loud and pricey.

Edit: i mean that if i can start with the router, and an AP, later add things. I assume the switch isnt needed to get the network functioning. The controller i assume is needed for the APs?

Last edited:
Good to have for complete small Omada setup with up to 4x AP's (the switch has 4x PoE ports). I'm not pushing you to buy Omada system. I don't know the place your parents live. I don't know what your parents need. In my case I re-used available equipment with good fit to environment and needs.

Good to have for complete small Omada setup with up to 4x AP's (the switch has 4x PoE ports). I'm not pushing you to buy Omada system. I don't know the place your parents live. I don't know what your parents need. In my case I re-used available equipment with good fit to environment and needs.

I know, but its a very convincing and realistic alternative to a consumer grade router (asus etc) network setup. The Omada is certainly going to be more reliable, though even the current standard crappy ISP provided router has not really bothered anyone here, outside of not reaching the garage with its wifi.
There are some allways on devices like switches for lightbulbs and later there will be wifi cameras aswell (2 or 3 max). I think that in all honesty, either the Asus route or the Omada will be good enough for them.
I read this topic https://www.snbforums.com/threads/is-ubiquiti-unifi-an-upgrade-from-asus-aimesh.71325/page-2, and yeah i can see why Omada is the more reliable choice.

Anyway, if i go the Omada route (im not even considering the other alternatives like ubiquiti), its not possible to start with just the router and AP, and add the other components at a later date?

current standard crappy ISP provided router has not really bothered anyone here, outside of not reaching the garage with its wifi.

What's wrong with this router? Large % of this same ISP provider subscribers are using this very same router.

possible to start with just the router and AP

It's possible, but you won't be happy. All-In-One routers are designed to work solo, as "loud" as possible. This is one of AiMesh issues, by the way - no Tx power control on nodes. SMB AP's are designed to work together, on lower power levels. The controller takes care about central management and roaming technologies. Single AP will perhaps be no better than your ISP router.

Good performance system is TP-Link Omada. The lower cost components are ER605 router, SG1008P PoE switch, OC200 controller, EAP225 AP's. It's easy to setup, almost like consumer products.

That would be a nice small business build out

What's wrong with this router? Large % of this same ISP provider subscribers are using this very same router.

Its a sagemcom f@st 5370e (yes, they officially name 'fast' like that). Its GUI simply doesnt work (seriously, it doesnt, tested many browsers, when flipping a setting you never know what its doing), wired performance is OK, wireless its ye.... it performs the worst of the equipment i could test against, including my own Z1 armor (test router). Just for the GUI/settings alone its worth it to consider something else. You cant even change default login credentials (name/pw).
When reading (swedish) forums, the first thing to do is replace the standard issue ISP router when on fibre.
Another valid point against the ISP router is that they use it to monitor data/stats for troubleshooting, the ISP can also manage the router if owners give permission.
Also, the ISP issued router isnt my parents, if they terminate the connection and swap for another ISP, it needs to be send back, which is the plan when that contract ends.

So as far as replacing the default isp router is concerned, thats going to happen, be it soon or late. Hence this topic as were basically starting from scratch.
Original plan was AX routers wired to eachother, possibly running RMerlin and a repeater (already have it) in the garage window.

But i must say the SMB setup you provided as an alternative seems a very convincing one.
I assume i could go with just an EAP245v3, and have that connected to the ISP router, just to provide coverage to the garage. I'd need to configuire it as a standalone AP and connect it to one of the lan ports on the router.
That way there would be the possibility to buy the R605 router at a later date, maybe add an AP and the controller if theres need for more coverage. I dont think the switch would be needed seeing the limited amount of rj45 thats being used. But that could be added at another time, too.

If not the SMB route, an AX68 (or something equal to it) as an AP just like the EAP245, and later another router to replace the ISP one.

Either way will be nice ;)

The PoE switch is there not only for extra ports, but to provide power for the AP’s as well. EAP245v3 usually comes with PoE injector, you can use it instead. I don’t like unnecessary extra power adapters. EAP AP’s have directional antenna pattern and work best of mounted on the ceiling or in the middle of the wall. Check specifications.

The PoE switch is there not only for extra ports, but to provide power for the AP’s as well. EAP245v3 usually comes with PoE injector, you can use it instead. I don’t like unnecessary extra power adapters. EAP AP’s have directional antenna pattern and work best of mounted on the ceiling or in the middle of the wall. Check specifications.

Just wanted to follow up, what we ended up with is a AC68U (very cheap on sale) and Asus 2x CT8 router kit, also on a cheap sale. The CT8 kit is on the way, the 68u came today, tested it and its quite capable, much more than the ISP router, its range and stability are impressive for such an old router model. And it still seems to get updates from asus :p
The 68U was very cheap so hard to let that pass, thought il just test it and see what it can offer, after some testing it reaches the garage (even through those damn walls), stable and high-speed. Then the CT8 kit was almost half the price so that one's ordered. Plan is to install the CT8 kit in the house (replace the isp router aswell) and the 68U as a node in the garage.

Network was already very OK today using the AC68 and china repeater, but the CT8 kit is going to improve things for coverage at the rear of the house (the AC68 doesnt reach there alone, not at all).
Everythings wired (cat6), will be installing using AImesh and see what happens. Thanks for all your help and input into this topic ;) Il report back again how it went when the CT8 kit arrives.

Edit: the EAP didnt have the range the Asus does, so returned that and bought the Ac68 just to see and was pleasantly impressed, added the CT8 on order to extend coverage.

Depending on the distances, consider putting the RT-AC68U outside of the garage, not in it, instead (but next/close to it). You should get a much more consistent WiFi coverage throughout your property.

Depending on the distances, consider putting the RT-AC68U outside of the garage, not in it, instead (but next/close to it). You should get a much more consistent WiFi coverage throughout your property.

Its going to be in the garage-window. The 15dollar china repeater already provided close to 100/100 (thats the max thats being paid for) in and around the garage (being inside the garage, in the window pane). Which i found impressive, didnt think the AC68/repeater combo would achieve that.
The garage is heated (low humidity aswell), so its going to be better for the equipment aswell i think.

What should offer best performance and reliability, setting up the CT8's and AC68 in AImesh mode or using them all in AP-modes? With aimesh mode you can have either one single ssid or two ssids, the 2nd 5ghz radio is disabled when not all nodes are connected using ethernet, which is the case for the AC68u.

I guess if you wanted access to using Merlin firmware you could use the 68U as your gateway router and then use the CT8 as an AiMesh pair running in AP mode. That way you get the mesh benefits of the CT8 platform and the features of the Merlin firmware on the 68U.