What's new

Asus AiMesh causes almost no 2.4GHz throughput

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is turning the AiMesh node off and back on equivalent to a REBOOT in firmware?
Easier for me than to figure out SSH

yup, just turn it off and on again

maybe your used 2G channels have changed and your long time run used a different working channel than now or before.

maybe your used 2G channels have changed and your long time run used a different working channel than now or before.
You mean the wifi channels? Previously I locked both 2.4 and 5Ghz channels to a set one that I thought were most clear using INSSIDER. Made no difference. Or do you mean something else?

Taking out my RT-AC68U AiMesh node (still have a RT-AC86U node) improved things but last night I ran into a light that didn't turn off.

Spent so much time trying to get this to work now. Might just run it as Router and Media Gateway again until new firmware comes out. I need the extra coverage of AiMesh to cover a Ring Floodlight I want to install soon.

Thanks for any suggestions

yes I meant Wifi channels, if set to auto-select after every reboot he could use other channels and maybe only your long time run used better channels than now.

Grisu, it is possible but I believe it's unlikely to be my issue. The wireless signal in my house is quite strong where I have placed the nodes. A different channel almost certainly would not cause the drastic change in nodes dropping vs the 10 days of perfect performance. I have tried different channels in the past, locking them down to that channel without success.

I had extrem troubles down to <1Mb/s throughput on 2G when 2 routers has been to close together using ch. 1+5 and 9+13. Be sure they use 1-6-11 instead with 20MHz.

Had a major problem with 2.4G throughput dropping down to nil on the previous firmware but that’s fixed now. I get plenty of consistent bandwidth.

Just in case anyone else with HomeKit devices on AiMesh is following this thread or for future reference. It’s been about 2-3 weeks and no devices dropped. I still only have the 86u router and 86u node. Shutdown the 68u node a while back because it was causing so many problems even though it was fine earlier. Probably won’t try putting the 68u node back on until a new firmware comes out. Still have all QOS, Roaming Assistant, and TrendMicro AiProtection disabled.

NO RESPONSE from a couple switches on my Home app last night. Unplugged and plugged in my 86u AiMesh node router and all was fine.
That has happened twice now about a week apart. Not sure if this is a clue to what could be causing this problem of dropping Homekit devices.
Possibly the reset procedure causes the Homekit devices to connect to the main router (also an 86u) or maybe the refreshed node just reconnects properly again.

I urgently needed to get my Homekit devices working so purchased an Eero setup with 3 of the full sized MESH units.
Everything setup easily with Eero although I had to reset some of the Homekit devices, possibly because Eero uses a different IP 192.168.7.xx instead of Asus 192.168.1.xx
However, shortly after ran into a problem with virtually all my Homekit devices went NO RESPONSE in my Home app.
I noticed that sometimes I could still control my Homekit device with the device manufacturers app. After repeat calls to various tech support I was getting nowhere, including support with Apple.

Since I was able to control the devices with the non-Home App I figured my problem could be related to my Home setup in Apple's Cloud.
In desperation I reset my phone and restored it from my iCloud backup.
EVERYTHING HAS WORKED PERFECTLY FOR A SOLID 2.5 WEEKS NOW.

Would the Asus RT-AC86U with AiMESH work now too? I don't know for certain but I had some issues that weren't totally the same so my guess is that I would still have some issues with the AiMESH setup even after restoring my iPhone. Also, I found some of the Eero features really to my liking. The way Eero switches you to another MESH node works perfectly, with AiMESH I often found it odd why I was locked to a node further away. The AiMESH setup offered better peak speeds using Speedtest but I'm likely to keep my Eero setup as the peak speeds don't really come into play. Eero is more than fast enough too and has been rock solid with my Homekit devices. If I get really curious I might try my AiMESH setup again but probably not. Too much time wasted on this part of my life.

Wanted to post here for all those who are having persistent NO RESPONSE issues. Check if the device manufacturers app still works when the Home app shows NO RESPONSE. If so, you very possibly might cure you problems by resetting your phone and restoring all settings from your iCloud backup. It's a fairly quick process, much faster than I remember in the past.

I also had this issue. I have two AC86U routers; one acting as a router and one as a node in an AiMesh system. I would get almost no throughput on 2.4G or too low on my node. It would work fine when the devices were connected to the main router. 5G worked fine on both router and the node.
I did everything mentioned here but couldn't solve the problem. In the end the only thing that solved the problem for me to take the node apart, connect it to PC and use the firmware restore utility to restore the already running firmware into the router. I don't know the science behind what happens when we restore the firmware using the utility, the experts here can help in that regard, but that did actually solved this problem for me and the throughput was back to normal on 2.4G after I again connected it as a node in the network.

I also had this issue. I have two AC86U routers; one acting as a router and one as a node in an AiMesh system. I would get almost no throughput on 2.4G or too low on my node. It would work fine when the devices were connected to the main router. 5G worked fine on both router and the node.
I did everything mentioned here but couldn't solve the problem. In the end the only thing that solved the problem for me to take the node apart, connect it to PC and use the firmware restore utility to restore the already running firmware into the router. I don't know the science behind what happens when we restore the firmware using the utility, the experts here can help in that regard, but that did actually solved this problem for me and the throughput was back to normal on 2.4G after I again connected it as a node in the network.

When you say take apart — what are you referring to specifically? Is there a jumper you need to attach to force-flash the firmware? Or are you talking about direct WAN connection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say take apart — what are you referring to specifically? Is there a jumper you need to attach to force-flash the firmware? Or are you talking about direct WAN connection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
*Take the node apart from the AiMesh Network. Sorry for the confusing words.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!