What's new

Asus AIMesh Guest network issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Swindiff

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I have a simple AIMesh network with an RT-AX88U as my main router and an RT-AC86U as the only AIMesh node. I was a bit disappointed to find that Guest networks were not supported using AIMesh, and then happy to find out that this functionality had been added with a firmware update.

I upgraded the firmware on the main router to 3.0.0.4.386_42820-gae9dd15 and the node to 3.0.0.4.386_42820-gae9dd15. These are as far as I know the latest versions.

I set up my guest network as described here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045327/

The guest network works fine providing I am in range of the main router, It gets an IP address on a different subnet. My main network is 192.168.1.XX. Connecting to the 2.4GHz Guest network assigns an IP address on 192.168.101.XX, and the 5GHz Guest network gets an IP address on 192.168.102.XX.

The problem is this only works if in range of the main RT-AX88U router, If I am range of the RT-AC86U node, it fails to assign an IP address.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what the issue might be.

Cheers

Hi

I have a simple AIMesh network with an RT-AX88U as my main router and an RT-AC86U as the only AIMesh node. I was a bit disappointed to find that Guest networks were not supported using AIMesh, and then happy to find out that this functionality had been added with a firmware update.

I upgraded the firmware on the main router to 3.0.0.4.386_42820-gae9dd15 and the node to 3.0.0.4.386_42820-gae9dd15. These are as far as I know the latest versions.

I set up my guest network as described here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045327/

The guest network works fine providing I am in range of the main router, It gets an IP address on a different subnet. My main network is 192.168.1.XX. Connecting to the 2.4GHz Guest network assigns an IP address on 192.168.101.XX, and the 5GHz Guest network gets an IP address on 192.168.102.XX.

The problem is this only works if in range of the main RT-AX88U router, If I am range of the RT-AC86U node, it fails to assign an IP address.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what the issue might be.

Cheers

Did you try resetting all firmware and configuring from scratch? Some firmware updates need this reset, so that would be the next thing to try.

OE

Do you have sync to nodes enabled in guest 1?
Use only WPA2 in the AX WIFI.

This is how I have them set.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,041
Did you try resetting all firmware and configuring from scratch? Some firmware updates need this reset, so that would be the next thing to try.

I don't want to do that unless I really have to. I assume that would set everything back to default settings?

I don't want to do that unless I really have to. I assume that would set everything back to default settings?

A reset will set everything back to the defaults values that are defined in the new firmware, not the old firmware. Without the reset, you are using the default values of the old firmware... but running on the new firmware. Hence the potential for glitches.

OE

Would it work if I saved my current settings, then did a reset and then restored the settings. Or would that just potentially reintroduce my current issue? I have all my DHCP reservations as I want them and would be a pain to have to manually do them all again. Cheers

Save your configuration first. Reset the routers, do manual configuration with automatic DHCP, test if AiMesh guest network issue is gone. If it is - add your DHCP reservations manually, don't restore anything. If it isn't - restore your configuration files and wait for Asus to fix the issue. In my experiments with AiMesh I found mixing routers in AiMesh may result in unexpected behavior.

Thanks for the links OE. It is something I will try but will have to wait until I am a little less busy. Can I just ask if this is a known issue, that has been known to be fixed by doing a reset?
Thanks for everyone's assistance

Thanks for the links OE. It is something I will try but will have to wait until I am a little less busy. Can I just ask if this is a known issue, that has been known to be fixed by doing a reset?
Thanks for everyone's assistance

Asus introduced guest networks on nodes recently. It is possible that there is an issue, but I don't recall a specific report of a confirmed issue on any particular models/firmware.

Since you updated firmware with significant revision, it is most likely that you need to just finish commissioning your network, starting with a firmware reset, to eliminate the likely culprit. This is the recommended next troubleshooting step.

And ask yourself, do I really need all of those DHCP reservations... do I really need them so bad that I will maintain them for the rest of my life? If not, then let the DHCP server manage most of them for you.

Get on with it or live with it, imo. :)

OE

Sorry for bumping an older topic, but I am experiencing the same issue. I am running two RT-AC86U routers.
Both are used in AiMesh. Everything is running fine, except for "Guest Access" (on the AiMesh node). Both routers are running the latest MerlinWRT version (v386.3).

No matter what I do or try; when I try to connect as a guest it will show "Assigning IP" which will take quite some time. In the end it gets connected, however it's connected to the main router. The AiMesh node (the other RT-AC86U) apparently does not give out IP's or whatever. So it only connects to the main Asus RT-AC86U. Which is in the basement and has unusable performance. That's the reason I purchased a 2nd RT-AC86U in order to replace our "Guest AP" (which was an aging TP-Link router running on DD-WRT).

The only thing left to try is to reset them both completely (NVRAM and Factory Defaults as described here) and try again. But I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. In a different topic I noticed disabling WPS could fix things, so I tried that, but it didn't help unfortunately.

So anyone has an idea? When connecting to the Guest Access main router, it works like a charm (IP's assigned fast), however the coverage is very poor. Especially when you are upstairs.
And in general does AiMesh (nodes) work with "Guest Access", before I start fooling around with settings and such. Does anyone can confirm this (maybe even on MerlinWRT firmware)?

All other options e.g. connecting to our regular (private) networks works like a charm, both 2.4 Ghz. as 5.0 Ghz. (on both routers/nodes). The only thing which is not working as it should is guest access on the AiMesh node (2nd RT-AC86U).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• aimesh01.jpg
    aimesh01.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,125
  • aimesh02.jpg
    aimesh02.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 715
  • aimesh03.jpg
    aimesh03.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,039
From the main router's GUI, in the AiMesh tab, remove the node. This should reset the node.

Reboot the main router while doing the following steps below.

Power it off (physically unplug the power cable from the unit, but leave the power button 'on'), and wait a couple of minutes.

Perform a WPS button reset using the method appropriate for your router.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Via the main router's GUI, attach it as a node once more.

Okay, thank you.
I will give that a go then. But does guest access normally work on AiMesh nodes (even with MerlinWRT firmware)?

Sidenote; going to try this later (or tomorrow perhaps) as our oven broke down and I have to take it out to get it replaced. Sigh.

Okay, so I did WPS button reset (twice on both routers) and went through the complete setup (manual input, no restore).
After 1 hour of re-entering everything... Still the same issue. Cannot connect to the guest access on the AiMesh node. Sigh.

I can connect to the 2.4G and 5.0G with AiMesh node without issues; the issue is when you try to connect to the guest access (on the AiMesh node; router can be connected just fine).
I am thinking it might be a bug in MerlinWRT's firmware maybe? @RMerlin

Not a bug that I've seen.

What are you manually configuring?

Wifi performance tweaks (which I have gathered from here during the years), port forwarding, DHCP, SSH access and other small stuff. Not much else.

Seems bugs actually do happen. Enabled "Intranet" and poof Guest Network on AiMesh node works...
But that's not an option. Will setup GA 2 tomorrow.

I have exactly the same issue. Reseting everything etc. makes no difference. Of course i do not want guests to be able to access my house cabled network.

I have exactly the same issue. Reseting everything etc. makes no difference. Of course i do not want guests to be able to access my house cabled network.
When using guest networks across a mesh the Sync to AiMesh Node needs to be set to All. This is a setting in each guest network setting.