What's new

Asus AiMesh Node (RP-AX56) - Keeps disconnecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello,

I fixed my 2 x RP-AX56 by removing them from the router.
Resetting them on the side reset button.
Adding them back to the router and immediately upload the ASUS RP-AX56 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.26131 - Initial Release via the router - admin...
Finally, I uploaded the ASUS RP-AX56 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42792 firmware - but not the latest one.
I did connect RP-AX56 via LAN cable during the entire process, Once finished they both work via wifi-uplink.

So far it works for more than 2h.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
mlewan
Did you connect it via LAN to your laptop or to the main router?

Reporting back in:

Router seems stable, issue with: AiMesh Node: RP-AX56 (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_42862-ga9f43cc) (Product Link: https://a.co/d/1fL9diz)
still remains. I unplug, plug back in (white slow pulsing light), after it boots up (blue blinking), Connects to my router: AiMesh Router: RT-AX89X (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_47468-g73fe1fe) (Product Link: https://a.co/d/6GnccP6)

Connection works for 10-30 min, node goes back into seek mode (blinking blue), Hit the WPS button on my router to see if that it will connect it back and maybe this time keep that connection. It does not, still blinking blue. My network is still crippled, going on a week.

ASUS, your net revenue for 2022 was $17.85 billion. You're telling me you can't sandbox your devices in-house for two weeks to see if there are any issues before pushing a live update that crippled everyone's hardware world wide... Far more $$$ than sense, SMH.

The quality of a product/update never correlates with the revenue of a company. The best companies the world has ever seen are bankrupt because they did things right. ;)

The quality of a product/update never correlates with the revenue of a company. The best companies the world has ever seen are bankrupt because they did things right. ;)
That's where a balance/ trust comes in, turns a good company into a great company. I'll never buy LG products again after two of the same make and model monitor died at the three year mark, def not a coincidence. You have the fiasco with Ledger, same deal, I’ll never buy another Ledger product. Now with ASUS, after all this nonsense and a week out worth of time gone with my network not being fully up. Trust broken, fool me once.

Reporting back in:

Router seems stable, issue with: AiMesh Node: RP-AX56 (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_42862-ga9f43cc) (Product Link: https://a.co/d/1fL9diz)
still remains. I unplug, plug back in (white slow pulsing light), after it boots up (blue blinking), Connects to my router: AiMesh Router: RT-AX89X (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_47468-g73fe1fe) (Product Link: https://a.co/d/6GnccP6)

So, while this mess happened, one of things I had noticed is that the RP-AX56 you find on the unit is usually 3.0.0.4.386_42862-xyz - while the latest firmware you have available on Asus' website for RP-AX56 is slightly older at 3.0.0.4.386_42860-xyz.

So before I knew what the real problem was, I went ahead and "upgraded" to the website-available version - and that may have cleared the NVRAM and fixed the problem. I have a completely stable system now, so you might want to try it.

Does anyone know the difference between the two firmware versions - why does the unit ship with slightly newer firmware version than available on Asus' website ?

@guruabyss, what are you going to do when you've run out of manufacturers to try?

Asus is far above other consumer routers. With RMerlin support, the others aren't even in the rearview mirror anymore.

Your call, but the choices are not endless, nor are they equivalent either.

ROUTER: AiMesh Router: RT-AX89X (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_47468-g73fe1fe) - Same as first post
NODE A: ASUS AX1800 Dual Band WiFi 6 (RP-AX56 - Factory Default Firmware)
NODE B: ASUS AX3000 Dual Band WiFi 6 (RP-AX58 - Factory Default Firmware)

Had a major T-storm so unplugged my electronics. Plugged everything back in and noticed my camera system wasn’t online. Now there’s issues again with the ROUTER/ NODE A. Plugged NODE A right next to the ROUTER. NODE A boots up *white light” then it goes out for a second or so then it displayed a green light (connected to the router). Logged into the ROUTER under General > Network Map, in the middle/ bottom AiMesh Node: 0, on the right under ‘AiMesh’ I don’t NODE A. Held the WPS button on NODE A (blue blinking), hit the search button in the ROUTER settings under ‘AiMesh’ to see if it would discover the node, it did not, it said the following:

Unable to find any AiMesh node nearby.
a. If this device is assigned as a AiMesh router, please check the following and try again.
1. Your AiMesh node is powered on
2. Your AiMesh node has the latest firmware
3. Your AiMesh node has been reset to default
4. Move your AiMesh node close to the AiMesh router
b. If this device is assigned as a AiMesh node, please check the following and try again.
1. Push the reset button on this device and then wait.
2. Login to your AiMesh router GUI and click on the AiMesh
icon.
3. Upgrade your AiMesh router's firmware if you cannot find the AiMesh icon on the router GUI.

I then factory reset NODE A and started the same process again. This time during AiMesh search in the ROUTER software it found NODE A, GREAT! Clicked NODE A in the ROUTER software and a % from 0 - 100 started. Thinking it would of connected since it displayed that it saw NODE A, nope, I got the following:

Unable to add your AiMesh node RP-AX56 (some long alpha/num) to your AiMesh system due to the following situations. Please check and try again.
1. Someone else is trying to set up an AiMesh system. Please wait 1 minute and try again.
2. your AiMesh router and node should be within 3 meters of each other during the setup process.
3. Make sure your AiMesh node is powered on.
4. Your AiMesh node has been upgraded to AiMesh-supported firmware.
5. Your AiMesh node has been reset to default

I then tried holding down the WPS button on the ROUTER then on NODE A to see if it maybe it would connect that way. Same results, light turns green, check to see if it shows up in the ROUTER software but it’s still now showing up. Restarted my ROUTER and tried the above all over again with the same results. 

Onto the next steps…

1. Bought two new power strips (just in case)
2. Bought two new Cat cables (just in case)
3. Bought a new upgrade ASUS: NODE B

I tried the above again with the new node, NODE B, I bought and hardware (1 & 2) held down the search button on NODE B (blue blinking light), hit search in the ROUTERs software, still not found. Tried holding the WPS button on the ROUTER thinking NODE B’s light would turn green, still just blinking blue, won’t connect. Then I tried saving out my prefs and factory resetting my ROUTER. After factory reset I added my profile back and tried again. Still nothing. NODE A still connects (green light) doesn’t show up in the ROUTER software, NODE B still just blinking blue. I do see however under General > Network Map, on the right under ‘Client statusNODE A in the ‘Wired’ Tab. It has an IP and everything, how can the router see NODE A there but not under 'AiMesh Node'? Why won’t NODE B connect at all but NODE A will??

One more odd thing that it does sometimes when searching for the Node in the ROUTERs software it will auto log me out of the ROUTERs software. Why would it do that??

Last edited:
UPDATES:

ROUTER: AiMesh Router: RT-AX89X (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_47468-g73fe1fe)
NODE A: ASUS AX1800 Dual Band WiFi 6 (RP-AX56 - Factory Default Firmware)
NODE B: ASUS AX3000 Dual Band WiFi 6 (RP-AX58 - Factory Default Firmware)

User "jzchen" said the following (source: https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/gamin...p-ax56-keeps-disconnecting/td-p/930168/page/6)

I checked and that is latest firmware for RT-AX89X. Please check for and update firmware for RP-AX56 and RP-AX58.

For hard reset of the nodes:

Unplug from power outlet.

Press WPS button and HOLD.

Plug into outlet keep holding WPS. It will very soon start blinking white. Keep holding WPS button until it stops then it will start blinking alternating white/yellow (not sure these colors but it will blink again). Unplug and release WPS. Plug back in.

Use AiMesh search function on RT-AX89X to find node.

(You should be able to do all this while Ethernet cable is connected between LAN port and port on RP. Hopefully it can find it with Ethernet outlet image).

I first tried with NODE A, Press and held the WPS on NODE A, pugged it in still holding the WPS button. The yellow/white blinking combo DOES NOT happen. It would slowly pulse white then blinking green back to pulsing white, then nothing (like it was off) for a second, and repeats the same patter again and again. I then unplugged NODE A, no longer holding the WPS button, plugged back in. Booted up (white light) then it moved onto blinking blue (pair mode). I first tried to connect via the ROUTER's UI, hit the ‘search’ button then pressed/held the WPS button on NODE A. NODE A starts blinking blue, sees the ‘RP-AX56’. Click it and connect to it. Then there’s a %, waiting for it to connect, for some reason it logs me out of the ASUS ROUTER UI, NODE A reboots. I log back in and now it’s at 40% and still waiting to connect. At about 65% it fails to connect (added a screenshot). I then try and connect via ROUTER’s WPS, pressed/held button, then moved onto NODE A WPS button, pressed/held. After a few seconds it connects, NODE A light is green. Refresh ROUTER’s UI, AiMesh Node is still 0, not connected to the node. Sign…

Next is NODE B, Press and held the WPS on NODE B, plugged it in still holding the WPS button. The yellow/white blinking combo DOES happen (doesn’t with the AX1800 (RP-AX56)). I then unplugged NODE B, no longer holding the WPS button, plugged back in. Boots up (white pulsing light) then a solid blue light. I hit the ‘search’ button in the ROUTER’s UI, press/held the WPS button on NODE B till the blinking blue light appeared and waited for it to show up in search. After a few seconds NODE B light turned a solid white and I again was logged out of the ROUTER’s UI. After logging back in it still doesn’t show up. Last step I tried was to unplug NODE B, plug it back in to reboot (white pulsing light) and then blinking blue light (pair mode). I pressed/held the WPS button on the ROUTER waiting to see if NODE B would pair. All of a sudden NODE B light turns solid white, it auto logs me out of the ROUTER’s UI and does nothing like it locked up. I can't even get NODE B to connect at all (green light) like I can NODE A, even though it doesn't show up in the ROUTER with that green light. Back at square one. Am I alone with this issue?

Another question I had , If there is new firmware for the node but I can’t connect to the node via the router, how would you be able to update the firmware?

Attachments

• aiMesh.jpg
    aiMesh.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Easy. Reset the node, update the firmware, reset the node, re-associate it to the main router.

You don't. Follow the directions given to update the node's firmware.

Just one little tip for the RP-AX56 and RP-AX58, in WiFi>Professional for the 2.4GHz channels turn off everything to do with MIMO and beamforming. Not aware that this makes the slightest bit of difference on 5HGz, but it does for 2.4GHz.
*Used the RP-AX56 and currently use the RP-AX58, and both massively surpassed my expectations, far better than when I'd used an RT-AC68 as an AP with an RT-AC86u as the router!

@L&LD

You don't. Follow the directions given to update the node's firmware.

Fair enough, so I opened the RP-AX58 "Quick Start Guide". From there I went to the 'Trouble Shooting' area. Low and behold I find "Download AiMesh - supported fireware at: https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/". So I try that URL and I get a redirect to https://www.asus.com/content/aimesh/. Which is a 404 page with "Oops! The page you are looking for cannot be viewed or does not exit. Back to homepage". I added the screenshot as proof from directions to web, just add popcorn.

I'm sure they meant to go to some general search type page which would be this: https://www.asus.com/support/

and if anyone needs the firmware for the RP-AX58 you can find it here: https://www.asus.com/networking-iot...ies/rp-ax58/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=RP-AX58

Attachments

• chefKiss.jpg
    chefKiss.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 26
@Maneck Bodhanwaka
Connect it to the router via LAN cable and update the firmware while it's powered on.

@Crimliar

Just one little tip for the RP-AX56 and RP-AX58, in WiFi>Professional for the 2.4GHz channels turn off everything to do with MIMO and beamforming. Not aware that this makes the slightest bit of difference on 5HGz, but it does for 2.4GHz.
*Used the RP-AX56 and currently use the RP-AX58, and both massively surpassed my expectations, far better than when I'd used an RT-AC68 as an AP with an RT-AC86u as the router!

So I finally have some time to see / try both your suggestions. I try logging into the Routers GUI via https://router.asus.com and I get "This site can't be reached". Odd since I didn't change anything and above in my previous post where I added a screenshot of the router GUI when trying to add the Node. I tried FireFox, maybe Chrome is being weird. I get "Unable to connect". Sigh... Ok, reboot the router. Wait for everything to boot back up and I try again for the Router GUI, same thing. Ok, factory reset... again..., wait for the reboot. Try the Routers GUI, still won't connect. Ok I try 192.168.1.1. Same damn message. Ok Try 192.168.0.1, same thing.

Now it seems this very very expensive router is no longer working as it should and I have no idea why it wouldn't even bring up the Routers GUI. EVERYTHING USED TO WORK GREAT! It wasn't till ASUS pushed a bad update to their asd router security daemon that started all this!

So because of this I ordered another RT-AX89X and I will compare it to my current RT-AX89X. One way or another we will find out what's going on, stay turned and comments welcomed.