What's new

ASUS AiMesh Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wonder why for example RT-AC68U(seen on RT-AX88U also) when adding a aimesh node I can only choose manually 5Ghz channels 100-140? Why not the lower ones?
Without connecting any aimesh node then it's possible to choose.
Automatically I can see it sometimes chooses channel 36 or so. But on the list there is non of those.
Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 13.20.39.png

No one, any ideas? Is this how it supposed to work? I haven't found really any information about this...
And another one, if you have mainrouter with AX and then meshnodes that does not support it. Is it still possible to run AX on the main and the mesh nodes run what they can?

No idea about your channel selections, sorry.

Apart for the usual channel restrictions that apply to different territories, adding an AC68U node to my AC86U router didn't change any of the channels I can select on the router. The only thing that changes the available channels is when I change the channel bandwidth. For example, I have less channels to use at 80 MHz bandwidth and there's nothing available above 112, whereas at 20/40/80 MHz, I can select 116, 132, 136, and 140.

For example, I have less channels to use at 80 MHz bandwidth and there's nothing available above 112, whereas at 20/40/80 MHz, I can select 116, 132, 136, and 140.

As I see it...

If channel 116, 132, 136, OR 140 are used, it will be at 20 MHz.

If channel 132 AND 136 are used, it will be at 40 MHz.

None of them will be used at 80 MHz per Asus firmware.

I think you should set 20/40/80 MHz bandwidth to accommodate various clients, but I would not set channels 116, 132, 136, OR 140 if you have clients that can use 80 MHz bandwidth.

OE

I think you should set 20/40/80 MHz bandwidth to accommodate various clients, but I would not set channels 116, 132, 136, OR 140 if you have clients that can use 80 MHz bandwidth.

I thought I read somewhere on here that even set to 80 MHz it will fall back if necessary. I'll set it to 20/40/80 though and see how it performs in comparison.

I thought I read somewhere on here that even set to 80 MHz it will fall back if necessary. I'll set it to 20/40/80 though and see how it performs in comparison.

Anything is possible! :)

Some reading I've done suggests 80 MHz would deny connecting 20/40 only clients, however likely they are. Also, if 80MHz falls back to 20/40, I wonder what would be the point of a 20/40/80 selection if you already have a 20, 40, and 80 selections.

OE

No idea about your channel selections, sorry.

Apart for the usual channel restrictions that apply to different territories, adding an AC68U node to my AC86U router didn't change any of the channels I can select on the router. The only thing that changes the available channels is when I change the channel bandwidth. For example, I have less channels to use at 80 MHz bandwidth and there's nothing available above 112, whereas at 20/40/80 MHz, I can select 116, 132, 136, and 140.
Well, yes... I know. As I mentioned no problem if I don't have a AIMesh node. I can see in the list all possible 5Ghz channels that can be used in my Country. And also I can see that automatically it uses sometime those lower channels. The problem is that I can't choose those manually while using Aimesh, only the higher DFS channels are available. It's strange I think :)

I wonder why for example RT-AC68U(seen on RT-AX88U also) when adding a aimesh node I can only choose manually 5Ghz channels 100-140? Why not the lower ones?

Perhaps those channels are permitted higher Tx power in your country and Asus wants them preferred for best AiMesh wireless backhaul performance (?).

OE

Perhaps those channels are permitted higher Tx power in your country and Asus wants them preferred for best AiMesh wireless backhaul performance (?).

OE
Thanks, sound like it might be that. Strange but that would explain it at least.

Thanks, sound like it might be that. Strange but that would explain it at least.

My US 86U varies the available channel selections depending on 20, 40, or 80 MHz bandwidth selection... I did not notice similar for AiMesh (yet) and am wondering what if the user configures channels first before adding a node/creating an AiMesh... do channels really vary based on whether or not AiMesh is established? I'll look for that the next time I rebuild my AIMesh.

Could just be quirky firmware!

OE

My US 86U varies the available channel selections depending on 20, 40, or 80 MHz bandwidth selection... I did not notice similar for AiMesh (yet) and am wondering what if the user configures channels first before adding a node/creating an AiMesh... do channels really vary based on whether or not AiMesh is established? I'll look for that the next time I rebuild my AIMesh.

Could just be quirky firmware!

OE
I could see some changes in the channels if I choose different bandwidth. But still all on the higher channels. I think here(Sweden and also in Finland) DFS channels are from 50 to 140, that are allowed to use but needs the dfs function. The normal 5ghz channels are 36 to 48.
please test, I think I had automatic channels on when adding aimesh. If you try it please let me know :)

I could see some changes in the channels if I choose different bandwidth. But still all on the higher channels. I think here(Sweden and also in Finland) DFS channels are from 50 to 140, that are allowed to use but needs the dfs function. The normal 5ghz channels are 36 to 48.
please test, I think I had automatic channels on when adding aimesh. If you try it please let me know :)

Here's a Finland-related article I was reading yesterday:
https://metis.fi/en/2018/02/5ghz-channels/#:~:text=On channels 100–140 the,to 50km or even more).

I'll check into it the next time I rebuild my AiMesh... might be awhile since I just did this and the 86U firmware is settling down compared to the rocky road AiMesh has had it on.

OE

I know this post goes way back, but if anybody watching this has recent experience using AiMesh, I'm curious if the article's suggestion to keep the SSIDs separate for different bands still holds. They said that they did a bad job with band steering, but that was 2 years ago, and I know there have been a lot of firmware updates since. I just ordered a pair of RT-AX92U and I'm hoping that I can leave everything on one SSID that Just Works for handoff.

I know this post goes way back, but if anybody watching this has recent experience using AiMesh, I'm curious if the article's suggestion to keep the SSIDs separate for different bands still holds. They said that they did a bad job with band steering, but that was 2 years ago, and I know there have been a lot of firmware updates since. I just ordered a pair of RT-AX92U and I'm hoping that I can leave everything on one SSID that Just Works for handoff.

I prefer different SSIDs and non-DFS, fixed channels... less band indecision by clients, and less client connection disruption by the router Auto changing channels... which may improve roaming. And you can segment clients across WLANs. I find this to be more predictable/stable WiFi.

But feel free to try same SSIDs with your wireless clients.

OE

One big factor is that we have super thick, plaster-covered walls and floors/ceilings that do terrible things to wireless signals, so if I want to get great speeds in the same room as the AP, but *any signal at all* in other rooms, I'm going to need the clients to swap between 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands as I move around. With my current setup -- different SSIDs for each band of a powerline AP, plus a single (third) SSID from the ISP router (two bands, with some kind of claimed steering capability) -- this has not worked very well. It's one of the things I was hoping to improve with a new mesh kit.

As I haven't even picked up the kit yet, I'd be willing to look at a different vendor if AiMesh does a particularly bad job at band steering / handoff, compared to other mesh systems. That's basically what I'm asking, I guess.

One big factor is that we have super thick, plaster-covered walls and floors/ceilings that do terrible things to wireless signals, so if I want to get great speeds in the same room as the AP, but *any signal at all* in other rooms, I'm going to need the clients to swap between 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands as I move around. With my current setup -- different SSIDs for each band of a powerline AP, plus a single (third) SSID from the ISP router (two bands, with some kind of claimed steering capability) -- this has not worked very well. It's one of the things I was hoping to improve with a new mesh kit.

As I haven't even picked up the kit yet, I'd be willing to look at a different vendor if AiMesh does a particularly bad job at band steering / handoff, compared to other mesh systems. That's basically what I'm asking, I guess.

I would receive what you have ordered and try it. You would likely have the same proposition with another kit.

AiMesh 1.0 probably does same SSID roaming as well or better than the next consumer mesh system, and better than non-systems like extenders/repeaters/APs.

AiMesh 2.0 may improve this with clients that support 802.11k/v.

A mesh system may also improve upon different SSID roaming.

If you're lucky, someone will come along who can tell you exactly what you want to hear... but WiFi can be hard! :)

OE

Well the good news is that it was easy to set up, and speed is *much* better than the powerline AP it replaced. I can max out my (admittedly middling) ISP speeds from a bedroom that used to struggle to get to a quarter of that. Handoff seems good, though I'm sure it'll take days to really tell.

Is there a reference for commonly used terminal commands? I set it up with a trusted key so I can SSH into both devices but I'm not sure where to start.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!