What's new

ASUS AiMesh Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

According to this ASUS rep, features from the 86u are adopted by the child nodes (68u) if 86u is used as the root. I would presume smart-connect would be one of those features, but maybe that’s not the case?

No, not the case. The ASUS rep here clearly implied that Smart Connect is not supported on AC1900/68U devices due to device-specific issues. And that they are trying to figure out the best way to accomplish it, if at all. Meanwhile, ASUS continues to market those devices as AiMesh-supported.

What the video says is that AiMesh router features 'extend' to the node. From which we should assume, within reason.

OE

No, not the case. The ASUS rep here clearly implied that Smart Connect is not supported on AC1900/68U devices due to device-specific issues. And that they are trying to figure out the best way to accomplish it, if at all. Meanwhile, ASUS continues to market those devices as AiMesh-supported.

What the video says is that AiMesh router features 'extend' to the node. From which we should assume, within reason.

OE
Did you listen to the video???

And now I switch my main router from the RT-AC68U to the RT-AC86U since this has more features!
The extra features will also be available on all extending nodes!

Sayed this with old firmware 20308. We are on 32799 now an not a single feature will be extending.
This is a official Asus-video from their marketing on Youtube - dont know whether D.T. or Asus creating better fake news ...

OE
Smart Connect is not supported because the used Broadcom driver for the 4360 used on the 68U does not expose the channel metrics required, like txtime/rxtime...so the user space can estimate the airtime usage of the channel, which is critical as parameter behind the whole Smart Connect thing. Asus simply need to upgrade/update the driver that exposes those metrics by simply recompile the driver :cool:
It depends on how Asus and Broadcom work together regarding access to source code.

patch, integration, function test, system integration test... etc. It's not simply recompiling the driver only.

OE

Gotcha. Bummer.

patch, integration, function test, system integration test... etc. It's not simply recompiling the driver only.
I may oversimplify the sw dev process, but what is strange is some released driver version for the same chipset 4360 in D-link has the means to get proper metrics that are being used in your Smart Connect thing.
I used to worked for HP/Aruba in the Access Point team so I know what exactly is missing and how to enable it in the driver.
And by the way, it tooks Asus months to fix and upload the firmware for the WPS security issue I reported in 2015 for the RT-AC87U so yes it takes time going thru "patch, integration, function test, system integration test... etc" :cool: after all these years your RT-AC87U still has the buggy WPS issue out-of-the-box.

I may oversimplify the sw dev process, but what is strange is some released driver version for the same chipset 4360 in D-link has the means to get proper metrics that are being used in your Smart Connect thing.

Driver and SDK version might be different.

Hello All,

I understand some of the benefits of a Mesh VS AP. The ONLY reason I'm interested in AImesh for a better device handoff for device roaming. I have weak cell phone reception and use iPhones WiFi calling on Tmobile. I've had limited success with roaming assistant as WiFi is dropped when on the driveway and in the backyard due to roaming assistant with no other AP to connect to effectively limiting my range and negating the reason I added another AP in the first place.

Does the AIMesh have any better features for handing off roaming devices or am I getting my hopes up for nothing? My biggest issue is with clients clinging to weak WiFi, but again as stated above roaming assistant like taking a cleaver when what I need is a paring knife.

In the test conducted above, it talks about delay, but I'm more concerned about roaming handoff as I stated. (something for the reviewer to maybe test, when reviewing systems)

Thanks in advance.

My biggest issue is with clients clinging to weak WiFi, but again as stated above roaming assistant like taking a cleaver when what I need is a paring knife.

AiMesh is suppose to improve roaming with Roaming Assistant node steering. And with Smart Connect node band steering when using same SSIDs (Smart Connect is NOT yet supported on AC1900/68U/66U B1 routers) . AiMesh roams better for me than when using just a router and a repeater. And my impression is that it performs better than when using a router with same SSID APs where clients may tend to stick to a weaker WiFi signal.

But the bottom line is that you will have to try it to find out how it will perform in your RF space with your wireless clients... the clients ultimately decide (with a little help from AiMesh).

OE

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, smart connect (band steering) is not supported on 68u. But is node steering not supported for he 68u too you are saying?

Thanks for the reply, smart connect (band steering) is not supported on 68u. But is node steering not supported for he 68u too you are saying?

No, sorry for the confusion. Smart Connect only is not supported on AC1900/68U/66U B1 routers. Roaming Assistant seems to be common on routers but I'm not sure what it does when there is only the router and no other nodes... any connection might be better than no connection.

OE

I decided to give the AIMesh primarily because I had roaming issues with several of my devices around my house. Was using 3 individual 68U's as AP's and a 68U as my main router.

I switched to AIMesh about two weeks ago by update the SW on all my routers and deploying. Has worked flawlessly for me. Great signal in all locations and no more roaming problems with my devices. I am using wired backhaul for all the nodes.

Only thing I don't like is that all the nodes share the same RF channel. Wonder why ASUS chose to do it that way, but loss in overall bandwidth is worth it for the greatly improved roaming.

I'm betting asus did one chan same SSID for the purpose to make the clients reassociate faster... Who knows...

@OzarkEdge I will have a Router and a Node, so 2 devices total

Well, I'm not sure what is going on.

Both my AC68U and my TM 68U is behaving wacky on 5GHZ band. they keep cutting out and stop transmitting. I'm not quite sure why or what is going on... I've tried a few other firmware and they all behave oddly. I know I've had trouble with my 5GHZ for a while, but I figured it was just something I was doing. Is there any diag's I can run on the radio? I'm using inSSIDer to watch the transmits and see they keep breaking up and stop transmitting for a little. Seems to be worse on specific channels. I find it odd that this seemingly happened to both routers running the latest firmware.

Any suggestions? I picked up 2 TPlink EAP245's tonight because I'm about to give up on this junk. I recently installed a Deco m5 for my mother and was ultra impressed at the roaming and speed.. So impressed actually that I purchased another set for my parents in law and installed that tonight and me the EAP's. Asus routers are the only routers I've ever had radio's die or go wonky on. Still, have a WRT54G that's trusty as the day it was bought 15-17 years ago go figure.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure what is going on.

Both my AC68U and my TM 68U is behaving wacky on 5GHZ band. they keep cutting out and stop transmitting. I'm not quite sure why or what is going on... I've tried a few other firmware and they all behave oddly. I know I've had trouble with my 5GHZ for a while, but I figured it was just something I was doing. Is there any diag's I can run on the radio? I'm using inSSIDer to watch the transmits and see they keep breaking up and stop transmitting for a little. Seems to be worse on specific channels. I find it odd that this seemingly happened to both routers running the latest firmware.

Any suggestions? I picked up 2 TPlink EAP245's tonight because I'm about to give up on this junk. I recently installed a Deco m5 for my mother and was ultra impressed at the roaming and speed.. So impressed actually that I purchased another set for my parents in law and installed that tonight and me the EAP's. Asus routers are the only routers I've ever had radio's die or go wonky on. Still, have a WRT54G that's trusty as the day it was bought 15-17 years ago go figure.

I would troubleshoot the 68U WiFi as standalone router first. The TM-AC1900 is not supported by AiMesh, so you're on your own with it.

Not knowing the history, I would reset the 68U, flash the latest firmware (again), reset again, and configure it from scratch. Then see how the WiFi behaves. Also look for anything that could interfere with the radio signals where the router is located. If the WiFi/connections are unstable, then maybe the hardware is defective.

OE

I would troubleshoot the 68U WiFi as standalone router first. The TM-AC1900 is not supported by AiMesh, so you're on your own with it.

Not knowing the history, I would reset the 68U, flash the latest firmware (again), reset again, and configure it from scratch. Then see how the WiFi behaves. Also look for anything that could interfere with the radio signals where the router is located. If the WiFi/connections are unstable, then maybe the hardware is defective.

OE

I tried a few times resetting the AC68U, even went to Merlin firmware and way back to old versions. It's spotty, seemed to work great at my parent's place for the quick 10 min testing I was doing. Not sure what could affect the 5GHZ signal as I'm looking at InSSIDer and there was nothing on the channel or near that chan. I did test them Solo, the TM1900 flashed correctly and if anything it's the one that had the least problems actually, but both exhibit strange 5Ghz issues. I have a very early model 68U that I bought from Costco around 2014 I think. Anyways these access points seem pretty damn good for 150$ especially with the ability to centrally manage and proper band-steering and roaming support.

2.4GHZ band is rock solid and I have a wired backhaul in my case.

Billed my RT68U's as falty, and bought 2 TPlink enterprise access points... Problem solved, 69$ each can't beat that.

When I picked up the RT-AX88U recently, I put my AC1900 (wired backhaul) into service as a mesh node. It was actually a lot easier than I expected, you can add/maintain (even update firmware) it from the primary node. Seems to be working great, and really not a single problem. I noticed network connections from that room are on the new node, no issues so far.

About to give up on the Orbi RBK50 due to constant internet dropouts, and hence plan to give aimesh a try using my old RT-AC5300.

I'm considering the RT-AC86U to go with the AC5300, and based on what i have read here, it looks like the AC5300 should be used as the node rather than the router? I have ~20 devices connecting, and about 14 are in the vicinity of the router location.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!