What's new

ASUS Announces RT-AX86U and RT-AX82U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AX82U seems interesting. My biggest concern is if the "gaming port" feature actually works, one workstation in my network really needs it. An AX58U died after a few days and the script based on Merlin's firmware didn't quite work.

Also, can the owners report if the 82U is wall-mountable.

Last edited:
Got the following update on my Amazon UK order of the 86U - Estimated arrival date: August 21 2020 - September 28 2020

Clearly not going to hit the end of July predictions!

They had the RT-AX82U on the shelf at my Best Buy this past weekend. They also had the Netgear RAX50 there too but on sale for $50 cheaper. I believe these two are hardware equivalents, same 3 core CPU, same radios, same specs, same regular list price.

I had my eye on the Asus going in but walked out with the RAX50. (on price, plus detachable antennas, full LED status lights, and probably a bit more stable having being out a bit longer with a number of firmware updates already)

I only wanted one of them strictly as a 5GHZ only (wired) AP to replace a TPlink C3150v2 used the same way. Nothing wrong with the TPlink but disappointed that there hasn't been any firmware/security updates for it since it was pretty much released,. So avoiding the inevitable when the next published exploit renders it useless.

My main router is the RT-AC86U anyway and I also have a couple other Netgears including an R7800, even an ancient R6250 and even that still gets security updates. RAX50 works well, very good range and pretty stable so far. I recently upgraded to AX200 cards in a fews of my laptops, plus added another new laptop with an AX201 and all work well. Acronis backups work their way over to a 4TB drive attached to the RT-AC86U with at or a bit better speeds than before (AX to the AP, then wired to the Asus).

I'm sure the RT-AX82U will be pretty much the same given how their specs closely match.

Wouldn't you know it, now the RT-AX82U is on sale $50 off this week (this is Canada, I'm not even sure it's even out in the US yet). If i was shopping it this week I would have taken this one instead. It's a coin toss between the two but Asus does have the better firmware/GUI in general.

Any sense of when the AX86 will be in the US? Looking to replace my XR500, was going to get an AC2900 but since this is newer tech might just spend the extra cash for an AX86.

Saw on pcper that US cost for the 86u should be 249.99. Looks like launch is this month in US.

Got the following update on my Amazon UK order of the 86U - Estimated arrival date: August 21 2020 - September 28 2020

Clearly not going to hit the end of July predictions!
I cancelled my Amazon order and ordered it from an ebay trader (CCL Computers). I originally ordered it through ebay but then found it was a bit cheaper on the CCL website, so I cancelled my ebay order and ordered it direct from the company. I opted for priority (next day) delivery, but DHL messed up and it didn't arrive until the following day, so CCL said they would refund my delivery charge. Can't say fairer than that.

I cancelled my Amazon order and ordered it from an ebay trader (CCL Computers). I originally ordered it through ebay but then found it was a bit cheaper on the CCL website, so I cancelled my ebay order and ordered it direct from the company. I opted for priority (next day) delivery, but DHL messed up and it didn't arrive until the following day, so CCL said they would refund my delivery charge. Can't say fairer than that.

Just went to the CCL store and bought the last one, thanks mate! :D

Looks good too on top of my old wall unit.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 14_08_2020 , 10_40_48.jpg
    Screenshot - 14_08_2020 , 10_40_48.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 355
I'm liking it so far. First asus router I've had for length. Signal seems strong, havent noticed any issues with drops ect. So far so good.
Just got mine today too... but after server tests ive noticed my latency is higher directly wired and wireless. Ive tried QoS on and off but no luck

what? :oops:
the antennas on the AX86U are not detachable, for real :mad:
my AC86U more and more are looking its going to wait a litter longer for a replacement

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!