What's new

ASUS AX 11000 PS4 NAT (Type)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raveya

New Around Here
I have configured my AX 11000 out of the box. 2* 5GHZ Networks enabled and nothing changed.
PS4 is connected to the network and works. But says it’s NAT Type 1. what do I have to do to get NAT Type 1?

Sorry.
I mean currently without port forwarding etc my PS4 claims that NAT Type 2 is active.
How can I get NAT 1?
Is there any guide how to forward ports on this router ?

The PS4 works perfectly with NAT Type 2 if you have UPnP enabled on the router. It is the mode that almost every user has.

Manual port forwarding is not necessary when using UPnP.

I have configured my AX 11000 out of the box. 2* 5GHZ Networks enabled and nothing changed.
PS4 is connected to the network and works. But says it’s NAT Type 1. what do I have to do to get NAT Type 1?

Coincidentally, my brother came to me with exactly the same question some weeks ago. He had opened up all the recommended ports in his linksys router and still couldn't get it. His issue was that the Linksys was behind the ISP's HGW and instead of using the HGW's IP to configure the Linksys, he used his external IP which didn't work. I eventually fixed it by configuring his PS4 LAN IP as DMZ in the Linksys router and the Linksys' WAN IP as DMZ in the HGW.

The PS4 works perfectly with NAT Type 2 if you have UPnP enabled on the router. It is the mode that almost every user has.
Manual port forwarding is not necessary when using UPnP.

Well, it appears that with NAT type 1, you get access to a larger array of servers to play on. Also, i am quite allergic to opening up UPnP as you do not have any control anymore over which hardware opens up which ports. To me, a big no-no.

Placebo effect.

I don't know. I am not a PS4 SME but my brother surely is whom plays CoD on quite decent level and his motivation to get NAT type 1 was access to more servers globally.

I don't know. I am not a PS4 SME but my brother surely is whom plays CoD on quite decent level and his motivation to get NAT type 1 was access to more servers globally.
This is one of the myths perpetuated online by gamers that don't understand networking. A properly functioning NAT 2 setup will have the same server access as a NAT 1 setup. In your brother's case he had a double NAT situation that wasn't configured correctly. You fixed that for him and he now has a working NAT 2.

To get NAT 1 on a PS4 you would have to remove your main router/firewall and plug the console directly into the public internet. Not a practical proposition for most people. EDIT: I believe some (US?) gateway devices have an "IP Passthrough or DMZplus" mode that might achieve the same effect.

The other favourite gaming myth is "I want NAT 1 'cos it will lower my lag" :rolleyes:.

Last edited: