What's new

Asus AX router, model ET8 VPN question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Uz902aa

New Around Here
I ordered the ET8 and happened to read the user manual on the Asus website. Apparently you can have a VPN. They list the following in the VPN section:
VPN Client L2PT : Yes
VPN Client OVPN : Yes
VPN Client PPTP : Yes
VPN Server IPSec : Yes
VPN Server OVPN : Yes
VPN Server PPTP : Yes
Does this list mean it is VPN capable with the VPN list only but you have to still pay for the service? I am new to VPN’s and this router.

yes, it is only feature that allow you to setup VPN on router. You need to have VPN provider.

what speed you need with VPN? AX86U can give you about 250Mbit, AX58U about 100Mbit etc.

please consider good router like AX86U not one that looks nice :) Do you truly need Wi-fi 6E? better buy reliable router now like AX86U and in the future change if needed for wi-fi 7.

You can use OpenVPN, without extra cost, between your router and any other endpoint, as an FYI.

What does this mean: “between your router and any other endpoint”. Sorry I am new to VPN’s. I thought all VPN’s had a cost and if Open VPN was free it would only be 2 connections or 2 users on my network.

Last edited:
You can set up an OpenVPN server on your router, export the .opvn file, import it into any device that supports one of the OpenVPN clients, and connect safely and securely back to your network from anywhere in the world when connected via the internet.

Similarly, you can set up an OpenVPN server on one router, and at another location connect with an OpenVPN client and have those two remote networks effectively connected.

I use OpenVPN to connect my mobile devices to my home network (always), and I benefit from many of the scripts that my routers run such as Diversion, Skynet, Unbound, etc.

I don't know the limit of how many concurrent users there may be on these consumer routers, but it would depend on the specific situation in any case. For example, your ISP up/down speeds and the remote location ISP speeds would give you effectively the lowest number possible in those up/down numbers (and up to around 250Mbps with an RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, and RT-AX86U, depending on the servers between your ISP/router and the remote ISP/router too. If that minimum was enough to handle multiple users' workloads, it will.

You can set up an OpenVPN server on your router, export the .opvn file, import it into any device that supports one of the OpenVPN clients, and connect safely and securely back to your network from anywhere in the world when connected via the internet.

Similarly, you can set up an OpenVPN server on one router, and at another location connect with an OpenVPN client and have those two remote networks effectively connected.

I use OpenVPN to connect my mobile devices to my home network (always), and I benefit from many of the scripts that my routers run such as Diversion, Skynet, Unbound, etc.

I don't know the limit of how many concurrent users there may be on these consumer routers, but it would depend on the specific situation in any case. For example, your ISP up/down speeds and the remote location ISP speeds would give you effectively the lowest number possible in those up/down numbers (and up to around 250Mbps with an RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, and RT-AX86U, depending on the servers between your ISP/router and the remote ISP/router too. If that minimum was enough to handle multiple users' workloads, it will.

Noticed this thread .... thanks for the info.

Concerning settings like RSA Encryption and options in Advanced Settings, what would be your recommendations ?

Start with using the defaults, change if/when needed (and you understand what you are doing).