What's new

ASUS AX68U 5GHz Band Dropping / Disappearing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

salsashark

New Around Here
Hi, I purchased a ASUS AX68U last week and am having a problem with the 5GHz band disappearing and all connections dropping. Initially set it up with separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands with some devices connected to each band. All of a sudden the 5 GHz disappears and no devices can connect to it. Was running the latest stock firmware and no changes to default settings. Can get it back working in the "Network Map" screen, under "System Status", by pressing the "Apply" button. Happens on a daily basis.

Did a hard factory reset (hold WPS button and turn on) and set up the network again, this time with one SSID for both bands (Dual Band Smart Connect). Was working for a day then all of a sudden, all the devices moved over to the 2.4GHz band. The 5 GHz band disappeared again. Hitting the Apply button like above resolved.

Any solutions to this or should I return?

Set the 5GHz channel to 36 and the bandwidth to 80MHz. See if that fixes the problem.

I switched it over to channel 36 and bandwidth 80. Appears that range is a bit less now for 5GHz as some of the further devices are connecting via 2.4GHz instead of 5 GHz. Will test to see if this improves anything.

What is the rationale for this channel and bandwidth?

What is the rationale for this channel and bandwidth?
a) Using a fixed channel stops the router periodically changing to what it thinks is a better channel.
b) Other channels may be effected by DFS or RADAR interference. This may force a channel change.

Changing to a DFS channel may incur a 10 minute wait period before the new channel becomes available.

Neither of the above conditions may be your problem but setting the router to 36/80 eliminates that as a possible cause while troubleshooting.

Unfortunately using channel 36 and bandwidth 80 did not resolve this problem. All my 5 GHz devices switched over to 2.4GHz as the network dropped again.

Any other suggestions or should I just return?

If that is the case, I will just return. I was trying to replace an old Cisco EA6500 which has been pretty much rock solid for the last 7 years and this new 2021 Asus technology appears to be just garbage.

Comparing 'simple' equipment from 7 years ago doesn't mean today's equipment is garbage.

It means you may need to learn how to use it in the current conditions.

Not just the hardware, but the enforcement of the current regulations too.

If that is the case, I will just return. I was trying to replace an old Cisco EA6500 which has been pretty much rock solid for the last 7 years and this new 2021 Asus technology appears to be just garbage.
Looking in the log might give you a clue as to whether it is a hardware fault with this specific unit or a more general problem/incompatibility with the model. Knowing that could influence your decision to either replace the unit with another one of the same type or something completely different.

From your description of the problem it almost sounds like you are having an issue with using Smart Connect. If you enabled it I would recommend you turn it OFF (at least while you debug the problem) and create separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. You could also turn OFF the 2.4Ghz radio temporarily and see if the 5Ghz band still keeps dropping and disappearing. Then at least you would know it is a definite problem like a settings issue or some other issue with 5Ghz.

From your description of the problem it almost sounds like you are having an issue with using Smart Connect. If you enabled it I would recommend you turn it OFF (at least while you debug the problem) and create separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. You could also turn OFF the 2.4Ghz radio temporarily and see if the 5Ghz band still keeps dropping and disappearing. Then at least you would know it is a definite problem like a settings issue or some other issue with 5Ghz.
I started off with separate SSIDs and the problem started there so not a Smart Connect issue.

Comparing 'simple' equipment from 7 years ago doesn't mean today's equipment is garbage.

It means you may need to learn how to use it in the current conditions.

Not just the hardware, but the enforcement of the current regulations too.
While I am somewhat technically savvy, I have no interest in becoming a networking engineer looking through logs and diagnosing problems. Just looking for a modern WiFi router, as my current router is out of date, that can connect to the 15 devices in my home without having it drop connections. Not looking for anything fancy.

May need to look at another brand or model.

I would download and flash the firmware again, reset (button) it to defaults, and configure minimally. If clients can't use the 5.0 band, call it DOA and return it. It should just work... if you can see the signal dropping, then it's not healthy, imo.

OE

Last edited:
I started off with separate SSIDs and the problem started there so not a Smart Connect issue.

While I am somewhat technically savvy, I have no interest in becoming a networking engineer looking through logs and diagnosing problems. Just looking for a modern WiFi router, as my current router is out of date, that can connect to the 15 devices in my home without having it drop connections. Not looking for anything fancy.

My point was that it's almost seems like a Smart Connect issue and not that it is the problem. Regardless of that... if the 5Ghz issue happened with Smart Connect OFF as you say it did then turning it ON isn't going to help you isolate and debug the source of the problem. It just adds another level of complexity to your dual band connectivity.

Even leaving both bands turned ON with Smart Connect turned OFF still allows for your devices with potential connectivity to both bands to drop their connections and switch between the two bands. This Wifi channel switching will also show up in the client device monitoring sections of the router. That's why for your particular case I recommended only having 5Ghz enabled during your debugging.

Most modern Wifi 6 routers of any brand have newer technology to avoid using frequencies that are detected in your area and steer to the less congested channels in your area. It is used to avoid Wifi routers from stepping on other Wifi router broadcasts and it helps manage other broadcasts from causing interference. Most of these features are required as part of the Wifi 6 feature set so purchasing another brand of Wifi 6 router isn't necessarily going to solve your problems. You may end up having the same problems without being able to easily figure out why.

The Asus logs are fairly easy to look at. They are a great feature Asus routers have to help quickly identify and debug where your problems are coming from so you don't have to waste time guessing and experimenting with every setting. You don't need to be a networking engineer to post them in this forum. That's what the users here who understand them have volunteered to help you with. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
Looking through logs and/or otherwise diagnosing problems isn't what I'm recommending.

Begin with flashing the firmware you want. Then, after verifying the firmware was successfully flashed, perform the full reset below.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

After the router has been fully reset (you should be looking at the Install Wizard if successful), proceed with the following best practices and suggestions.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

So before returning it, I followed these instructions and manually flashed the latest firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_45934. Followed the instructions to reboot and set it up.

Once I got it set up, turned off the 2.4GHz radio so it only had the 5GHz. Added 4 devices to this and it worked about 5-6 hours. Then devices started dropping. I tried to attach the text system log but doesn't seem to work. The system log shows this:

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm using AX68u as well and having the same issue, wifi 2.4 works just fine but 5g works for a while then can't connect.
The router disappoints me coz I an asus fan since rt-n16.

Thinking about returning it too.

From the log there are disconnections on the 5Ghz band. I do read the logs at times but someone more experienced with log reading would have to help and guide you with the details. Although you suspected it before at least you know for sure it is a 5Ghz issue. I forgot to mention that under the wireless settings I recommend not using WPA2/3 and enabling WPA2 for both bands.

I know you want to return the router. I myself would still work through the debugging since I like to solve these kinds of issues but if you decide to return it that is understandable. I can't speak about the AX68U. Many users in this forum have no issues with it. I own a number of AX86Us and I can say without hesitation that so far it's the best Wifi router I have ever owned.

Last edited:
I had to reset my AX86U after flashing latest firmware cause it was acting funny.... 6 days later rock solid. I cant speak for the AX68U, but AX86U is def worth the upgrade. If you can swing it and find one, i'd return AX68U and pick up an AX86U

I'm using AX68u as well and having the same issue, wifi 2.4 works just fine but 5g works for a while then can't connect.
The router disappoints me coz I an asus fan since rt-n16.

Thinking about returning it too.
Think I figured it out. Go to Wireless -> Professional -> and select the 5Ghz band.

Disable all of the following:

1639254033617.png

You can do the same for the 2.4Ghz band. Mine appears to be working now.

See this post where I saw this suggestion:

I recently bought the AX68U , and am experiencing similar issues with 5 GHz devices disconnecting. It works at maximum for 24-36 hours and the disconnects happen. I tried the changes mentioned above, and disabled those settings, but now the issue has become more frequent. Anyone has any other suggestions?
@salsashark , is your router still working without interruption after those changes?

Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!