What's new

Asus AX86U - firmware 386

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Portalnet

Regular Contributor
Hello.
Which version of 386 is the most stable, the best in terms of WiFi and the entire router? (RT-AX86U)

Hello.
Which version of 386 is the most stable, the best in terms of WiFi and the entire router? (RT-AX86U)
Using old firmware puts your network and clients at risk. Please use the current Asus 388 firmware. It works well in spite of the experiences of some.

And it works strange for me, so I want to go back to the old FW 386 for a while to see if it's a problem with the router or computers?

Last 386 base firmware 386_49599 is good.

I have to go back to the previous branch of the software because on the 388 I have some strange internet interruptions - WiFi connectivity is there, but the ping to the router disappears (but only on Wifi, LAN works normally). I thought it might be AIprotect, but after turning it off, the problem returned.

In my testing the best Wi-Fi stock Asuswrt are 46061 and 49599. The best Asuswrt-Merlin is 386.5_2 with 46065 base.

Sooner or later most AX86U users come to the same conclusion except @bbunge - he's update happy always with everything on default! :D

Merry Christmas, @bbunge! Wishing you and yours good health. This is more important than anything.

Sooner or later most AX86U users come to the same conclusion except @bbunge - he's update happy always with everything on default! :D

Merry Christmas, @bbunge! Wishing you and yours good health. This is more important than anything.
Hmmmm... would you believe I had major issues today and went back to 49599, twice in fact. With the storm and power failures it will stay there till the weather and power settle down...maybe.

Would this be the faulty firmware in question for the RT-AX86U?

Would this be the faulty firmware in question for the RT-AX86U?

Actually it is not "faulty." Has been working well for me for a week after the last hard factory reset. Am using the Android app to do configuration. WIFI has been stable. No complaints from family and the QOS is working!

No complaints from family and the QOS is working!

Adaptive QoS only and with IPv6 disabled. Not sure if it prioritizes the traffic properly. This router had Adaptive QoS issues in the past.

Adaptive QoS only and with IPv6 disabled. Not sure if it prioritizes the traffic properly. This router had Adaptive QoS issues in the past.
Funny that you say that. I've never had QOS issues with this router and I bet a whole bunch of other folks haven't either.

But it is a new year and you feel you have to continue your disparaging remarks about a device you have sitting on your shelf and do not use. Yes, some feel firmware 386.49599 works better for them. But is still old firmware. Most consumers are far better off using the upgrades and it seems only the "geeks" have problems.

Funny that you say that.

I spend the time to test and post the results. You can do the same to verify. I haven't seen any efforts from you except "it works for me" and "use the defaults with Smart Connect enabled". All FW versions provide Internet access to clients if this is your only requirement. Routers for $50 do this well too. I'm disappointed by one thing fixed another broken on every firmware on a popular and relatively expensive router.

Asking if anyone is testing a fully new software
I am using the current Asus firmware on my AX86U. I have tried the Merlin 388.1 firmware and did not have issues with it. But the Asus firmware serves my purpose and works very well in my home environment with about 30 clients of mixed G, N, AC and AX as well as wired clients such as NAS, IP Cams and NVR. Clients inclide Windows 11 laptops and desktops, Mac Mini, Linux desktop, iOS and Android phones and tablets. I have a 100/100 FIOS connection and use Adaptive QOS , AiProtection, DoT and DNSSEC on the router.

As always, your results with the new firmware can vary. A reset and reconfigure is a good idea and you may have to adjust your WIFI settings for your environment. I pretty much use the WIFI defaults.

I go beyond "testing" and use it in a real world environment.

And all the people finding issues don't know what they are doing, correct? :rolleyes:

Asking if anyone is testing a fully new software
I am on 388.1 and I thought it was working ok.

I started to notice my WAN speed dropped from a fairly consistent 800-900Mbps, down to 500-600 Mbps. I have Xfinity 1200Mbps service. Scratching my head on this for a few weeks, I even went out and got a new Modem (Arris S33), that is 'officially' support by xfinity. (My Arris SB8200 was working fine...but now says 'incompatible' on their website.) After numerous reboots of the router and modem and calls to Xfinity, I saw that IPV6 was turned on. In previous versions of the FW I had issues with IPV6. So...I turned it off and BAM....Now I'm getting 900-1100 Mbps (using spdMerlin)!!!. Also QOS is OFF.

My setup:
Primary Router: RT-AX86U - Asuswrt-Merlin FW v388.1
AiMesh #1 - RT-AC68R - Asuswrt-Merlin FW v386.7_2
AiMesh #2 - RT-AC68U

An issue like yours I can't detect on my 500/30 ISP line and @bbunge has no chance either on his 100/100.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!