What's new

ASUS AX88U with Merlin 386.2_2 Brother WiFi printer appears offline

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hjp

New Around Here
I was previously using AC68U as my main router and upgraded to the AX88U (Firmware 386.2_2). Coverage and speed are all great.
But I can't get my brother printer to consistently stay connected.
Printer is Brother HL-2380DW. Connected to the 2.4GHz network.
I've tried static IP for the printer, manual DHCP, downgrading to 386.2_1, and disabling Airtime Fairness.
Multiple different computers after initial install, report the printer as offline on the next reboot of the PC and then I can't ping the printer.
Everything was working fine with my AC68U router.

Anyone with suggestions?

Facing same issue on my RT-AC86U .. but the printer seems to be connect, haven't faced any issue printing... and the printer shows connected..

may be its only the CLient List page that is havign display issues... have you checked the System Log > Wireless Log .. I find that page to be better than the client list...

You may need to reset the WIFI on the printer then reconnect. AS it is an older "N" WIFI device make sure you use WPA2/WPA3. If it still will not connect with WPA2/WPA3 there is a work around.
Set up a guest WIFI for 2.4 GHz on Guest 2 or 3 and just enable WPA2 with intranet access enabled. I've had to do this to get an old iPod touch to connect. Do not use Guest 1 for this as it will assign an IP address in the 192.168.101.x range.

Facing same issue on my RT-AC86U .. but the printer seems to be connect, haven't faced any issue printing... and the printer shows connected..

may be its only the CLient List page that is havign display issues... have you checked the System Log > Wireless Log .. I find that page to be better than the client list...
The printer is definitely connected to the router. It's just after a reboot of my desktop, I can no longer print and shows offline.
I'll take a look at the logs. Thanks.

You may need to reset the WIFI on the printer then reconnect. AS it is an older "N" WIFI device make sure you use WPA2/WPA3. If it still will not connect with WPA2/WPA3 there is a work around.
Set up a guest WIFI for 2.4 GHz on Guest 2 or 3 and just enable WPA2 with intranet access enabled. I've had to do this to get an old iPod touch to connect. Do not use Guest 1 for this as it will assign an IP address in the 192.168.101.x range.
I've reset the WiFi multiples times and it didn't help. I tried reverting to original ASUS firmware and while it works better, still having issues with the printer appearing offline.
The printer is definitely connected to the router.
But in Windows it shows as offline.

I've reset the WiFi multiples times and it didn't help. I tried reverting to original ASUS firmware and while it works better, still having issues with the printer appearing offline.
The printer is definitely connected to the router.
But in Windows it shows as offline.
Uninstall/re-install the printer in windows, if there is a newer driver update it too.

Uninstall/re-install the printer in windows, if there is a newer driver update it too.
That's the first thing I tried. I think it's a setting or something easy to fix. Just have hit a brickwall with what else I can try.

That's the first thing I tried. I think it's a setting or something easy to fix. Just have hit a brickwall with what else I can try.
If I experience a tough printer to install, I use standard tcp/ip port to manually install it in win10 just assign a static ip.
printer.jpg

A common problem I find w/ network printers is when they insist on going into sleep mode. Once that happens, they will sometimes refuse to respond to arp requests. You'll only be able to reach the printer for as long as its arp entry is retained by the client (~10 mins).

I have no idea if that's the issue here, but in case it is ...

One way around it is to create a static arp entry on the client for the printer. Now the printer will be reachable again because it's not dependent on the results of an arp request.

A more generalized solution is to place the printer on its own IP network, bind the router's LAN to that same network (as a secondary local network), and add the static arp entry to the router. Now all your clients reference the printer's IP assignment on the other network. This eliminates having to reconfigure every client w/ a static arp entry (assuming that's even possible). One downside is that the printer is no longer discoverable since network discovery will NOT cross IP boundaries. But to my mind, the benefits outweigh the loss of that convenience.