What's new

ASUS Blue Cave AC2600 Dual-Band Wireless Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

By any chance did you check if Samba works for you?
Cyn, I just looked it up and I have not used it and I am unlikely to use this. If it’s a setting on the router, I am happy to try it, just let me know how to do it. If it requires installations, I’ll pass.

Cyn, I just looked it up and I have not used it and I am unlikely to use this. If it’s a setting on the router, I am happy to try it, just let me know how to do it. If it requires installations, I’ll pass.
Actually, what I mean is plugin in a USB thumbdrive. Then router admin page and for USB Application -> Media Server -> Samba just check if your drive appears.

Got one over BF too. Been using it for a week or so, and it feels like it's not as good as my AC1950, especially when connected at 2.4.

Can you guys check your config and see if you have any entry on MU-MIMO under wireless/professional? Also, is the Smart Connect rules available on this thing? Thanks.

Got one over BF too. Been using it for a week or so, and it feels like it's not as good as my AC1950, especially when connected at 2.4.

Can you guys check your config and see if you have any entry on MU-MIMO under wireless/professional? Also, is the Smart Connect rules available on this thing? Thanks.
Smart Connect option is available for me, MU-MIMO they have said its there but I couldn't find it to switch on or off.

Smart Connect option is available for me, MU-MIMO they have said its there but I couldn't find it to switch on or off.
Thanks. As for Smart Connect, not just the on/off option, do you see the Smart Connect rules in network tools? I think some of the other routers have that so that you can modify the "smartness."

Thanks. As for Smart Connect, not just the on/off option, do you see the Smart Connect rules in network tools? I think some of the other routers have that so that you can modify the "smartness."
No, just the Smart Connect on/off option for me.

Ok. Just want to make sure - I've resetted twice. LOL.
I think its one of those hiccups for having the Intel chipset in this and Asus team not updating properly. MU-MIMO is no where in the settings but they say its there.

Actually, what I mean is plugin in a USB thumbdrive. Then router admin page and for USB Application -> Media Server -> Samba just check if your drive appears.
It appears under Network Map int he Asus Router settings page.
upload_2018-12-1_21-39-12.png

In the Samba area I see the following:
I would say Samba does not work right now in my network. Are there any other settings I need to change?
upload_2018-12-1_21-45-9.png

Look at this page as it may provide more insights as to how to get Samba working. I just found a Samba Setting under AiCloud 2.0. Is this what you want?
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037477/

Is this even worth the hassle to set up? I have one PC, 2 iphones, one printer, one roku, two smart speakers and one tablet we rarely use.

Update: I just removed the USB flash drive and it was warm going on hot and I was not even writing on it. I would say it's better to go with a NAS if you want to use storage devices.

Last edited:
What settings do I need under AiProtection -> Network Protection. Should I just turn on Enabled AiProtection and let it be?

Also, I don't see anything for Smart Connect under Wireless -> Professional. As for MU-mimo, I am not sure how to verify that it is indeed working. I have three mu-mimo devices but I am not sure it's doing anything. According to some folks on this website, MU-MIMO is like unfulfilled prophecy and does not do much but if this is wrong, at least my router supports (even though I can't verify it, hehe).

What settings do I need under AiProtection -> Network Protection. Should I just turn on Enabled AiProtection and let it be?

Also, I don't see anything for Smart Connect under Wireless -> Professional. As for MU-mimo, I am not sure how to verify that it is indeed working. I have three mu-mimo devices but I am not sure it's doing anything. According to some folks on this website, MU-MIMO is like unfulfilled prophecy and does not do much but if this is wrong, at least my router supports (even though I can't verify it, hehe).
I just noticed its enabled on my end. I didn't even notice. I disabled the QoS though, it just slows down usual usage such as social media when there is no streaming going on.

Thats what I have been hearing as well, I am not a fan of smart connect, just find it easier to separate the bands and use it that way.

It appears under Network Map int he Asus Router settings page.
View attachment 15308

In the Samba area I see the following:
I would say Samba does not work right now in my network. Are there any other settings I need to change?
View attachment 15310

Look at this page as it may provide more insights as to how to get Samba working. I just found a Samba Setting under AiCloud 2.0. Is this what you want?
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037477/

Is this even worth the hassle to set up? I have one PC, 2 iphones, one printer, one roku, two smart speakers and one tablet we rarely use.

Update: I just removed the USB flash drive and it was warm going on hot and I was not even writing on it. I would say it's better to go with a NAS if you want to use storage devices.
That Samba is already set up, its just that Router is not enabling the feature properly. Just few glitches of the firmware I guess.

That Samba is already set up, its just that Router is not enabling the feature properly. Just few glitches of the firmware I guess.
It sounds like you need to spend some more money or go with something like the R6700 by Netgear which all around solid but doesn’t have the best/more updated technology. File sharing is not a priority for me as I do everything in the Apple or Microsoft cloud and share from there but even then there is not much I share. You may want to try the Rt-ac86u and you can keep on building your network. The Rt-ac86u was my first choice but my mind couldn’t justify the price.

It sounds like you need to spend some more money or go with something like the R6700 by Netgear which all around solid but doesn’t have the best/more updated technology. File sharing is not a priority for me as I do everything in the Apple or Microsoft cloud and share from there but even then there is not much I share. You may want to try the Rt-ac86u and you can keep on building your network. The Rt-ac86u was my first choice but my mind couldn’t justify the price.
I actually got the same exact model of Netgear and returned it because I got the Blue Cave. I'm trying to setup the Time Machine with my Mac so I could backup wirelessly but I feel like I should just use this for a year since I got this for roughly $70 with taxes from Google Express during the BF Sale(20% for being the first order then Google Express gave me $10 coupon). This surely beats the entry level routers at the same price point. :D

I'm going to use this for a year or till next Black Friday and see how it performs, at that point I could even save up and upgrade to a Ubiquiti.

Did you check the pages on the AiProtection section? I saw some attacks which were detected by the Router.

I actually got the same exact model of Netgear and returned it because I got the Blue Cave. I'm trying to setup the Time Machine with my Mac so I could backup wirelessly but I feel like I should just use this for a year since I got this for roughly $70 with taxes from Google Express during the BF Sale(20% for being the first order then Google Express gave me $10 coupon). This surely beats the entry level routers at the same price point. :D

I'm going to use this for a year or till next Black Friday and see how it performs, at that point I could even save up and upgrade to a Ubiquiti.

Did you check the pages on the AiProtection section? I saw some attacks which were detected by the Router.
Nice Price! I just bought it directly through Best Buy. I am not sure if the return policies on Google Express are the same but with Best Buy, I have until early January to return the item due to the holiday season. I'll post if anything is amiss with the router but so far, I am setting it and forgetting it. With respect to the AiProtection, I just turned it on; although I believe it's a first level or preliminary security, I am not sure it will replace anti-virus software.

Nice Price! I just bought it directly through Best Buy. I am not sure if the return policies on Google Express are the same but with Best Buy, I have until early January to return the item due to the holiday season. I'll post if anything is amiss with the router but so far, I am setting it and forgetting it. With respect to the AiProtection, I just turned it on; although I believe it's a first level or preliminary security, I am not sure it will replace anti-virus software.
Actually its the same as Best Buy, Google Express just acts as a store front for retailers like Best Buy. So the return policy is for the store, which is Best Buy, I even got the receipt and can return to Best Buy local if I'm not okay with this. Its the same for me as well, hopefully that would be enough time to get a proper idea on how this performs. AiProtection helps because I'm not running any antivirus on the Mac.

Next time I will know. Thank you.
This is new, I contacted Asus support and mentioned about the heating. The agent said to return it and get a replacement as it could be defective.
"I just want to verify if you have just purchase the router? If yes the best recommendation I can give you is to contact your place of purchase to initiate a return or replacement as the issue might be a hardware issue with the unit."

I noticed the 2.4GHz seems to get disconnected couple of times, 5GHz is quite stable.

Last edited:
This is new, I contacted Asus support and mentioned about the heating. The agent said to return it and get a replacement as it could be defective.
"I just want to verify if you have just purchase the router? If yes the best recommendation I can give you is to contact your place of purchase to initiate a return or replacement as the issue might be a hardware issue with the unit."

I noticed the 2.4GHz seems to get disconnected couple of times, 5GHz is quite stable.
I have had no disconnections this far and the router has been rather stable. Let me know if you replace the router and with which one, maybe I’ll try that one too but so far so good on this one.

Using a Valet M10 bought about 15 yrs ago for 25 bucks, lol. Rock solid, streams netflix 2 floors up w/o hiccup, disconnects once every 5 or 6 months, reboot good for another 6 months.

LOL not even sure why I am looking for another router; don't need problems

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!