What's new

ASUS Blue Cave Router Debuts At Computex

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there any reason for it to be designed like that, or is it just meant to look cool?

AFAIK, it's purely for an original look. Manufacturers have been trying harder lately to make networking devices look cooler than just square boxes, so you'll want to make them visible rather than hide them in a closet. And potentially attract the eye of potential new buyers.

AFAIK, it's purely for an original look. Manufacturers have been trying harder lately to make networking devices look cooler than just square boxes, so you'll want to make them visible rather than hide them in a closet. And potentially attract the eye of potential new buyers.
Perhaps, but still....function over form.

Perhaps, but still....function over form.

Design does matter... look at the smart phone biz...

Not everyone wants to have a dead arachnid in the living room - if it performs well, then good enough, and the spousal approval factor these days...

It's a nice design, and kudos to Asus there...

hopefully i will have the blue cave ( its a tunnel not a cave as such lol ) here soonish for a test drive , still think the name is weird but its just a name , design wise tbh to me its meh , to the misses its beautiful ( much better than those ugly things in your office lol )

hearing its designed with IoT in mind and security but wont be part of the lyra mesh and is totally stand alone , it may even have a scaled down but different feature set than the normal asus routers to reflect the IoT focus

design wise tbh to me its meh , to the misses its beautiful

Exactly ;)

With internal antennas - Skymat does good stuff (skymat is intel's partner for their reference platforms), and internal antennas, done right, can work very well.

This is mostly due to its support for IFTTT and Alexa integration.

Underneath, it runs Asuswrt.
I am not sure what your policy is when it comes to answering questions like this, but are you going to support Merlin for it?

I am not sure what your policy is when it comes to answering questions like this, but are you going to support Merlin for it?

Definitely not, since it's not based on Broadcom hardware.

The one thing that I cannot tell about this router is this: is it intended for someone looking for a user-friendly router with only the basics or someone who wants to be able to control anything and everything?

is it intended for someone looking for a user-friendly router with only the basics or someone who wants to be able to control anything and everything?

until we get more specifics on the gui and web page format its anyone's guess

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!