What's new

Asus dSL-AC68U router speed compared to broadband speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jonsey

Occasional Visitor
Hello All

Upgraded from up to 38mbs to up to 76mbs with EE within the last few weeks.
Looking at the router speed and an actual broadband speed there is a great difference between the two. Doing the speed test via LAN and no other devices connected to give a false reading. See pictures attached.
Why is there such a difference between the router speed and an actual broadband speed test?
A loss of around 8mbs on the down load and only around 1mbs on the upload.
Am I missing something on my settings on the Asus or is this the norm?
The Asus does not configure itself for the fastest broadband in the 'quick internet set-up', everthing had to be done manually in the WAN PVC settings.
Regards

Jonsey

Attachments

• test1.PNG
    test1.PNG
    19.3 KB · Views: 226
  • example3.PNG
    example3.PNG
    44.5 KB · Views: 189
i believe the first is your sync rate for the DSL connection. So a "theoretical " bandwidth. The second is based on connecting to some server on the internet somewhere. Lots of other connections and server responses come into play and it will usually show less than the theoretical connection speed in #1. completely normal.

i would ask your ISP to run a DSL line test to see if there are any line quality issues with the outside cable or if it is just your distance to the switching station that is setting the max rate.

Hello All

Upgraded from up to 38mbs to up to 76mbs with EE within the last few weeks.
Looking at the router speed and an actual broadband speed there is a great difference between the two. Doing the speed test via LAN and no other devices connected to give a false reading. See pictures attached.
Why is there such a difference between the router speed and an actual broadband speed test?
A loss of around 8mbs on the down load and only around 1mbs on the upload.
Am I missing something on my settings on the Asus or is this the norm?
The Asus does not configure itself for the fastest broadband in the 'quick internet set-up', everthing had to be done manually in the WAN PVC settings.
Regards

Jonsey

The synch rate and actual throughput are different things so you will see a lower speed shown.

I would try a decent speed test like >> nPerf << , my experience of the onboard Asus speed test is that it gives totally false readings.