What's new

ASUS Expands 11ax Lineup And Sets Ship Date

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm confused about the ram and CPU in the ax88u since there is too much conflicting information.
I'm just wondering if it's quad core CPU one GB ram, or dual core 512mb ram.

Don't buy the new AX routers on release for the following reasons, even though you may want the latest and greatest as thiggins and some others pointed out:

1. When you buy new expensive routers you are the guinea pig and trouble shooter as the firmware is not matured so you are basically paying to beta test. With routers old is usually gold.

2. AX standard won't be finalized till 2019 so any missing features may or may not make it into early AX draft units. Plus 0 real clients till next year anyway.

Best to get AC routers at lower prices when draft AX routers release.

Also the CPU on the 11000AX is pretty much the same as the one in the GT5300AC and with AC clients I doubt you would see any real gain on the AX unit versus the GT5300AC.

This is all true, which is sorta why I'm on the fence. I would need all 3 of my bulletin point's included if I did decide to beta test a draft. As you said, there also will not be any AX client's till next year, but it is backwards compatible with AC client's according to the whitepaper. At this point and time I am mostly at a 30% into jumping on board testing and 70% waiting until next year. As I am in no major hurry, since every time a new standard comes out it takes time and phases to reach the mainstream market.

I'm confused about the ram and CPU in the ax88u since there is too much conflicting information.
I'm just wondering if it's quad core CPU one GB ram, or dual core 512mb ram.
Information from the ASUS press release in the OP of this thread says that the RT-AX88U will have a quad-core CPU with 1 GB of RAM. Confusingly, the ASUS Product Specifications Page for the RT-AX88U still says it has a 1.8 GHz dual-core processor but confirms the 1 GB of RAM. The dual-core spec is probably wrong.

Initial speculation that the CPU could be from Qualcomm appears to have been quashed in favor of the quad-core Broadcom BCM4908.

Don't buy the new AX routers on release for the following reasons, even though you may want the latest and greatest as thiggins and some others pointed out:

1. When you buy new expensive routers you are the guinea pig and trouble shooter as the firmware is not matured so you are basically paying to beta test. With routers old is usually gold.

2. AX standard won't be finalized till 2019 so any missing features may or may not make it into early AX draft units. Plus 0 real clients till next year anyway.

Best to get AC routers at lower prices when draft AX routers release.

Also the CPU on the 11000AX is pretty much the same as the one in the GT5300AC and with AC clients I doubt you would see any real gain on the AX unit versus the GT5300AC.

Reason #3: By buying products before they're ready you encourage malignant manufacturer behavior: buggy software, too many products to support, glitz instead of quality or robustness.

Maybe they should first fix all the issues with their so called flagship router the GT-AC5300 first. Been over a year since it was released and it still has a load of issues! Asus should get their priorities right and stop screwing over customers!

Maybe they should first fix all the issues with their so called flagship router the GT-AC5300 first. Been over a year since it was released and it still has a load of issues! Asus should get their priorities right and stop screwing over customers!
Just out of curiosity what issues does it still have? The latency issue?

It will be a long time, if ever, that we see 10GbE switches on consumer routers. As Merlin points out, the processor buses would need to be beefed up to handle the traffic and the thermal load would be challenging to handle without adding a fan.

For homes that do have Ethernet cabling, there are not going to be many that have the properly installed, terminated and tested CAT6a or CAT7 required to get the 100m distance equivalent that 1GbE now supports.

NBASE-T (2.5/5 Gbps Ethernet) works over CAT5e/6 and is the next logical step that you will see more widely deployed outside of server rooms.

The problem with 10Gbps / NBase-T is that the cost for both really isn't that much difference. So I would much rather they go with 10Gbps. And if you are live in a small flat, chances are your CAT6 cable could run 10Gbps. It has been tested that it works up to 50M, and unless you cheap out on cables, most decent CAT6 tends to be better then spec. ( Because most of those companies started shipping before the spec was ever out ) but even if 5Gbps takes off I will be very happy.

I still remember when switches and router can't actually do 1Gbps on all port at the same time, but I wish we could get 4 x 10Gbps port, but with maximum capacity of like 15Gbps rather then 40Gbps. It is very rare one would need 10Gbps speed, but I would very much like my occasional needs not be limited. Or even 10Gbps Capacity with 4 x 5Gbps Port.

But the way it is trending it doesn't seems anyone is interested to push this through.

So that says there still is not an approved 11ax draft standard.

Is is a lot harder, especially when they have discover the Densi-Fi situation. It also means we hopefully won't have situation like early 802.11ac that were complete pieces of crap and had lots of software "improvement" / hacks to make things work.

And they even make great effort into deleting those entries from Wikipedia, which many has try to restore it only to be deleted again. Now that section is completely gone.

The report reveals that the secret Special Interest Group (SIG) called DensiFi applied illegal tricks over a period of at least two years. The report revealed that this cartel had Intel, LGE, Broadcom, Marvell, MediaTek, Qualcomm, Huawei, Orange, NTT, NTT DoCoMo, Samsung, ZTE, Apple, Cisco, Sony, Toshiba, Newracom, and Quantenna as member companies.

We now have engineers that are interested in actually making a proper spec, rather then companies trying to get the crap on market as fast as they can. And I wouldn't be surprised if Draft 3.0 failed to pass as well.

DumaOS is based on OpenWRT, I doubt Asus is going to ditch Asuswrt and move to a new firmware code base.

As others pointed out, what's your source?

It is extremely unlikely Asus would ditch any part of Asuswrt for DumaOS, a proprietary code base that currently has far less features and flexibility, and is already used by their main competitor, Netgear in a flagship router (XR500).

That would be a negative signal for Asus' router business long term.

It also means we hopefully won't have situation like early 802.11ac that were complete pieces of crap and had lots of software "improvement" / hacks to make things work.

Hmmm... I would say that the Broadcom Wave 1's were pretty decent considering the maturity of the spec at the time. Most issues where introduced by the OEM's integrating their existing code on to the Broadcom SDK's - and once the ARM transition was completed, the AC1900 class has aged very well (Netgear R7000, Asus RT-AC68U, and similar).

Hmmm... I would say that the Broadcom Wave 1's were pretty decent considering the maturity of the spec at the time. Most issues where introduced by the OEM's integrating their existing code on to the Broadcom SDK's - and once the ARM transition was completed, the AC1900 class has aged very well (Netgear R7000, Asus RT-AC68U, and similar).

Asus' first AC model (the RT-AC66U) worked pretty well indeed. Its only flaw was that it got obsoleted less than a year later with the introduction of the RT-AC56U, and its newer software and hardware platforms.

DumaOS is based on OpenWRT, I doubt Asus is going to ditch Asuswrt and move to a new firmware code base.

It's more about doing yet another port to another SDK - considering OpenWRT to be a target SDK, similar to HND...

OpenWRT is more current on many things, but because of GPL, Broadcom probably is not inclined to share some of the special sauce that digs deep into the switching elements of the Router SoC - keep in mind there's likely an RTOS and Software that works under the hood (nudge, fastpath) - ctf.ko on older chips was one way of controlling things under the hood in a certain fashion..

I've probably said too much ;)

100 percent confirmed that ASUS in 11ax Lineup replaces Gaming Center/Game Boost/Adaptive QoS with DumaOS.

Features - DumaOS

I have to say this is the first time I heard of DumaOS. What happen to set it and forget it Router?

The UI is very nice though, I wish there is a non gamer variant of it.

I have to say this is the first time I heard of DumaOS. What happen to set it and forget it Router?

The UI is very nice though, I wish there is a non gamer variant of it.

The OP hasn't said anything to prove the statement, and DumaOS on ASUS doesn't make sense, so I think this is just trolling.

I looked at recent specs it says quad core cpu, I wish it was Gigabit Duplex on all ports at the same time like the edge router from ubiquiti.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!