What's new

ASUS ExpertWiFi EBG15 as main router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tiomiguel

Occasional Visitor

As main router RT-AX82U is in garaje, with very poor coverage, I was thinking about ASUS ExpertWiFi EBG15 as amin router and RT-AX82U in AP mode in better location​

I can not find information about ASUS ExpertWiFi EBG15 CPU etc. What CPU uses?

Is ASUS ExpertWiFi EBG15 better than AX82U as main router (LAN, WAN)

IS COMPATIBLE ASUS ExpertWiFi EBG15 with AIMESH if in the future i want to enable it

Should you buy this router for a domestic lan????

Best?

Buy, test in your environment, and enjoy or return as necessary.

Is ASUS ExpertWiFi EBG15 better than AX82U as main router (LAN, WAN)

It has better CPU (ARMv8 vs ARMv7) and runs newer ExpertWiFi version of Asuswrt 5.0 firmware, but it's designed to run ExpertWiFi series APs also running Asuswrt 5.0 and your RT series router (on Asuswrt 4.0 firmware) won't be compatible with all the features available even if you run it as AiMesh node. Did you try your routers on Performance Wi-Fi settings or still restricting yourself? Spending more money on new hardware won't help much in your situation.

Broadcom BCM4906 dual-core 1.8GHz ARMv8 + AES CPU with 512MB RAM. Firmware 3.0.0.6 Asuswrt 5.0 with ExpertWiFi features and white WebUI skin.

The problem is I have main router in garaje because ONT arrives here. I have RT-AX82U as main router but WIFI disabled. Wifi is done by a RT-AX55 in home center location.

If I want improve, spending money in a stronger main router but wasting WIFI perhaps is not a good idea. EBG15 as main router, RT-AX82U in AP mode and RT-AX55 in AP mode will cover all home.

I have RT-AX55 in performance mode

IF you can suggest a better router, but considering it´s WIFI is not going to be used, I accept any suggestion.

BCM4906 dual-core 1.8GHz ARMv8 is a very old cpu???

Captura de pantalla 2024-05-23 085309.png

OK but If I have a network with about 20 IOT devices on 2,4 Ghz WIFI and some computers wired all in 1000 BaseT. 300 Mb WAN speed... Is not RT-AX82U power enough? . I understand using VPN etc. need strong CPU but for a dense domestic network without VPN ...

Do you think is much better EBG15 main + RT-AX82U AP than RT-AX82U main + RT-AX55 AP ????

Do you think is much better EBG15 main + RT-AX82U AP than RT-AX82U main + RT-AX55 AP ????

I don't know what is better in your place. No one knows except you. Make your AX55U main router temporary and see how AX82U performs as an AP. Then you'll know the answer and can make plans based on the results. I'm currently renovating another property in Europe and since I know from experience home All-In-One routers are unlikely to work well - I'm planning 3x APs right from the start. I'll be using Ubiquiti Dream Router with two Ubiquiti U6 Pro access points for a complete UniFi system.

@tiomiguel

I got this EBG15 router and I am quite happy with it as it cost me only $80. But I did exactly opposite as you. I am using it in AP (Access Point) mode and it is used exclusively for WOL purpose. For 2 days I tried, it did work great as a gigabit router. But my PLAN is 1.1Gbps and it gave me only 940 Mbps.

But it definitely makes sense to run this as the "Main Router" and let your RT-AX82U be the AI Mesh node. But how much compatible both are is unknown. EBG15 does get latest 3.0.0.6 WRT 5.0 firmware and will get steady stream of updates for next few years. The new Web GUI is very modern looking but it desperately needs a Dark Mode.

The downsides
1. Dual Core SOC
2. No WRT-Merlin firmware
3. Limited to 1Gbps ports.

But for $80, I cannot complain.

I am using it in AP (Access Point) mode

I don't see AP Mode available for EGB15. It's Router or AiMesh node (essentially a switch).

What Access Point can be a router with no Wi-Fi?

I don't see AP Mode available for EGB15. It's Router or AiMesh node (essentially a switch).

What Access Point can be a router with no Wi-Fi?
The Web GUI does not have Access Point mode for some reason. Guess it's Very new or WIP ?

vCbZCTr.png

However, you can change to AP mode and use it as a glorified switch from Expert Wifi iOS or Android App. Once you change this from app, notice that no option is selected when you visit the same page from Web GUI.

WBoYbYj.png

I am using it as a low power WOL device with just 5W power consumption. It is exactly what I want it to be..... A dumb WOL device as I can securely wake up my PCs using Security Link.

However ,it really was a bit tricky to put it in this mode. In Expert Wifi app, manually add this device by scanning the QR code and it probably uses Bluetooth to set it up. This bluetooth setup prevented clashes with my main Ubiquiti network is 192.168.1.0/24 and this EBG15 defaults to 192.168.50.0/24. Then you can set it up as an Access Point. Once it rebooted, it picked a random IP 192.168.1.9 from my main Ubiquiti network. Now I couldn't care any more or any less if it did or didn't auto update by itself. :p

Clearly, Asus knows their clientele very well. Purchased 2. One for office and one for home. Very happy due to low footprint and low power.

Last edited:
This is not a WiFi-capable device. AP mode makes no sense, hence why it is not offered.

Bluetooth setup? Hardly 'expert' level device here. More like hackable IoT.

This is not a WiFi-capable device. AP mode makes no sense, hence why it is not offered.

Bluetooth setup? Hardly 'expert' level device here. More like hackable IoT.
True. But I liked the bluetooth initial setup where there is no need to adjust IP/Subnets before setup.

Guess it's Very new or WIP ?

This router is far from finished product. Not only AiMesh node is quite strange for a wired only router, but it also has Wi-Fi settings (for eventual AiMesh nodes), but no Professional settings because it doesn't know what the node is going to be and it doesn't have Wi-Fi onboard... Users found it "meshes up" fine with consumer products, it's the very same AiMesh, but whatever is acting as real AiMesh Wi-Fi node remains at default settings... because you have no assess to AiMesh node's GUI. It's a bit of a mess at the moment with one single ExpertWiFi series AP available with all the "SDN" support, and this EBA63 AP needs PoE, but this EBG15 router doesn't have PoE ports... 🤪

IS COMPATIBLE ASUS ExpertWiFi EBG15 with AIMESH if in the future i want to enable it

Fully compatible; however, 3.0.0.6 aimesh nodes required for vlans.

Not true. You can access "Professional" settings.

Professional settings on what exactly?

I don't see Professional settings menu even on online demo with ExpertWiFi EBA63 AP attached to it.