What's new

Asus Firmware Poll - Merlin or Standard?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What firmware are you running on your Asus router?

• Merlin Firmware

Votes: 63 86.3%
  • Standard Asus Firmware

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Depending on what you are tying to learn with this survey, you probably either want to state this survey is only for the people who have the option to run either firmware, or if they answer standard ASUS firmware ask the followup "Is merlin FW available for your router?" Otherwise your results will be skewed by those who answered stock firmware as that is the only option. In my case I've had multiple ASUS routers through the years, and use Merlin when I can. But on a couple of occaisions got a great deal on a used ASUS router that isn't supported by Merlin.

Yes, this survey is obviously for the people who have the option to run either firmware. I had a feeling that most people on this forum who have such an option run Merlin, so wanted to validate this.

Since SNBForums is the official support forums for Asuswrt-Merlin, this isn't the best place to run such polls if you want unskewed results. It's like running an Asus vs Netgear poll on the Netgear support forums.

I used to run Merlin all the time (years starting with a RT-AC68U), but somewhere around 384.19 I started having random reboots on my RT-AC86Us every 2-4 days. I tried everything discussed in this great forum on two different RT-AC86Us (one 2018 and one 2019) to no avail. I finally went back to OEM 384_82072 and it has run uninterrupted for 196 days (6+mos). I haven't even attempted to update the ASUS firmware at this point. I miss some of Merlin's enhancements, but reliability has become a priority.

Standard, I don't have time/patience/energy to deal with fooking around with my home router, I fix broken IT shirt all day at work, so I don't mess with my home stuff

Have the Merlin firmware, many thanks for that.