What's new

ASUS firmware will change the verification method

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a stupid question but why doesn't Broadcom/QCA/etc just lock down changing the powers on the chip level, instead of trying to do it on the software level? I'm pretty sure I'm missing something obvious...

Yes but lets not have the sins of a few sink all the ships. :eek:

Yes but lets not have the sins of a few sink all the ships. :eek:

Sooner or later - that problem will take care of itself...

Just hope those folks have "other plans" once a well funded approach hits them directly. Can't hide on the internet.

;)

I didn't see any Alphas into the RT-AC88U folder (I think). I don't expect much people to have a media bridge with 2 RT-AC88U (yet). I sold my mom for them! That would be nice if I can fully benefit for what I paid for! :D On the other hand well that's the law so fingers crossed Merlin will release an update soon.

Maybe a stupid question but why doesn't Broadcom/QCA/etc just lock down changing the powers on the chip level, instead of trying to do it on the software level? I'm pretty sure I'm missing something obvious...

Because every region has different power limitations, so they must be programmable.

None of you get it at all, the issue is the far reaching arm of the goobermint and the backwards FCC. This is simply control by the FCC with nothing more than a bureaucratic system based on what? Science Hahahahahaha.

They have killed innovation and stifled progress. So freaking what if the power is higher and controllable so freaking what if bands are above 11, I mean seriously, yes I remember when someone turned on the microwave and your inhouse GE wireless handset went dead, but the industry figured that out not because of some lame butt law and regulation. Cell phones lets get started on Cell phone radiation and use the example of the FDA allowing so much bug crap (AKA POOP) in your food. Ya tell me about regulation.

Get the goobermint out of the way and progress is made. Compaies that cannot compete will die thats just the way it is.

Edit. I just tried 380.60 beta2 on my two RT-AC88U media bridge and the WoL seems to work on the PC connected to the bridged router but only from the firmware, not with Asus ai cloud app, which is my ultimate goal to be able to wake that PC anytime with my iPhone. But I was able to update the firmware thanks to Merlin. ^__^

Last edited:
Yes i also believe third party is a must and should remain a option. But as far as Vortex and HGgomes i could care less if they got shut down for good. I think they are part of the reason this has happened to begin with. Breaking region codes and allowing illegal transmit power.

Yea, lets blame people who give us a more freedom of what we can do with our hardware, instead of the people who exploit it to transmit on restricted frequencies.

If I buy a device, I should be able to use it fully in any country I take it to instead of being forever locked to restrictions of some country that I might never even go to.

Imo, the wifi module should be designed to restrict itself based on the surrounding WIFI APs. If none are around, then it should fall back to whatever manufacturer set it to.

It would be a great idea, but correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't a VPN or something like that be able to fool the wifi AP?

Well no, since it would set it according to the other wifi access points in the area. I think Apple devices work this way, they set region code either by scanning other APs and determining their region or the region of the client devices.

Imo, the wifi module should be designed to restrict itself based on the surrounding WIFI APs.

They tried that with 802.11d. It's causing problems as some people are running their routers in the wrong country, negatively impacting their neighbours, so 802.11d is now forbidden since last year.

Don't laugh, that's next. :)

GeoIP and WiFi triangulation - several API's available there that will get one "close enough"...

Interesting stuff happening over in the "white space" world with location data to ensure that transceivers do not interfere with incumbent spectrum license holders. This would be a nice addition to 5GHz capable devices that need DFS channels...

Just musing - always wondered why Asus is still using the older code bases - seems like it's getting to a point where the regulatory challenges, along with the current kernel right on the edge "end of support" that this would be a good time to consider migrating...

Broadcom and Linaro are both members of the Yocto Project, and the nice thing about Yocto is the build environment and the speed at which changes can be introduced (security fixes, enhanced features, new features).

Going to a more modern code base also solves many of the current security concerns (proper privilege separation is a big one). And with support for Secure Boot along with the Broadcom brcmfmac drivers, still allows Asus to support the FOSS community in something that is consistent with FCC (and soon to be ETSI) requirements.

Also would make the 64-bit transition a bit easier, as the build environment already supports ARMv7 and ARMv8 64 bit.

I realize it would be a major effort - but sometimes a moment of agony getting that done is better than a lifetime of ache trying to support a 10 plus year old code base that is getting increasingly brittle as time moves on...

Thoughts/comments?

funny enough phones use location tracking tech to auto configure the wifi power settings.

I think most use based on the sim and cell data, so even if you e.g. tried to block outgoing requests in a firewall they would still succeed.

I can't understand this I bought the router with the soul purpose in mind to update with Marlin and to load open vpn for expressvpn.
I looked at forums for a week and I knew about the88u but I would not have bought the dan thing if I knew..
I live on Australia this is terrible. I did see a video by some guy using a dos bossed program to change radio outputs and selecting countries.
How do you turn off auto spell lol.

Not happy Jan. !

Hello all.
I had to join so that I post on this.
If this goes through and I have difficulty in flashing my RT-AC3200 and RT- 56U, then I shall replace them in a heartbeat with another mfg.
I have a sledge hammer in the basement to aid me in doing so.

Sounds silly to me, LOL!

I can't understand this I bought the router with the soul purpose in mind to update with Marlin and to load open vpn for expressvpn.

And you still can, so I don't see what the problem is.

And you still can, so I don't see what the problem is.
Hi R Merlin May I say Thank you for everyones awesome work.
and in response to your reply how do I do that? do I wait for the update or can i go ahead now? I'm very new to networks, but very slowly trying to learn things by playing and resetting. Any help would be awesome thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!