What's new

Asus GT-AC2900 maximize speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Guys, that's not the issue. The question is. Can this router properly handle a 1g connection. But that seems to be doubtful.

But buying a new one would also be doubtful since only the wifi chip changed. Or i need to buy something like the ax6000 since it has more horsepower.

But i really don't need to whole ax stuff yet.

If you are that concerned about getting most out of your 1 Gig connection, you may need to move to more robust business class hardware instead of home consumer stuff.

Guys, that's not the issue. The question is. Can this router properly handle a 1g connection. But that seems to be doubtful.

But buying a new one would also be doubtful since only the wifi chip changed. Or i need to buy something like the ax6000 since it has more horsepower.

But i really don't need to whole ax stuff yet.
Define "properly handle"?

The max you'll see is 940/960 tops on a wired connection to another Gigabit device.

If you are that concerned about getting most out of your 1 Gig connection, you may need to move to more robust business class hardware instead of home consumer stuff.
Nah.. this is always the response when someone is having doubts about the performance of a consumer product. Buy enterprise gear..... Thrust me that ain't all pink clouds and rainbows.

Nah.. this is always the response when someone is having doubts about the performance of a consumer product. Buy enterprise gear..... Thrust me that ain't all pink clouds and rainbows.
That may be true, but neither is using old hardware that was never designed to handle 1 gig speeds.

GT-AC2900 is 2.9Gbps router. Your XT8s are 6.6Gbps routers. You want more? GT-AXE16000 is 16Gbps router.

What's not in the User Manual: (click to reveal the secret)

As long as you don't hit firmware option disturbing NAT hacks in place. Then all of the above - 0.4Gbps routers.

GT-AC2900 is 2.9Gbps router. Your XT8s are 6.6Gbps routers. You want more? GT-AXE16000 is 16Gbps router.

What's not in the User Manual: (click to reveal the secret)

As long as you don't hit firmware option disturbing NAT hacks in place. Then all of the above - 0.4Gbps routers.
Even then I am still good with my measly 300Mbps service? :cool:

You can't win any speedtests competitions, but no one can beat you in network quick change.

fashion-wow.gif

:p True, true…. so far, I am very satisfied with my current setup. My last encounter with the XT8 were less than satisfactory. This time using the latest factory firmware they are very stable and I am very happy with their performance.

They make a good combination in AP mode behind the Firewalla Gold.

So after setting up a old PC with OpnSense iam hitting 980up/980dl.

I also got 2ms responds and a overall performance upgrade in speed and connection.

I think this anders the question if this unit can utilize the gb connection. Since I don't find OpnSense a proper consumer product. What new Asus would be able to utilize this, so I can add the gt as a aimesh unit and move one of my 68u to the garden for all covarage wifi. So i dont know if a AX unit can be mixed with ac units. Upstairs and in the garden i don't care much about the full speed. In the main living it would be nice to have the ax available.

The same vertical style router - RT-AX86U Pro. This is the newest hardware available. It still relies heavily on NAT acceleration techniques. Otherwise about 400Mbps WAN-LAN traffic capable through the CPU. Home routers are built for power efficiency as well. You can't compare with x86 PC hardware. Your old PC is perhaps faster than any home router on the market - current and in next few years. Based on feedback - your AC68U may not work well in AiMesh.

The same vertical style router - RT-AX86U Pro. This is the newest hardware available. It still relies heavily on NAT acceleration techniques. Otherwise about 400Mbps WAN-LAN traffic capable through the CPU. Home routers are built for power efficiency as well. You can't compare with x86 PC hardware. Your old PC is perhaps faster than any home router on the market - current and in next few years. Based on feedback - your AC68U may not work well in AiMesh.
So i cannot combine ax and ac aimesh?

So i cannot combine ax and ac aimesh?

In theory you can, but this specific model and its variants have the most issues reported in mixed AiMesh setups. You have a better chance if your AiMesh is using wired backhaul. If it doesn't work well as AiMesh node the other options are Repeater (wireless) or Access Point (wired). AiMesh works best with identical routers running the same firmware and wired backhaul.

So plan B could be put some more time in OpnSense / PFsense and convert my gt to a accespoint and keep the mesh connection with each other. Only as wifi. I think the gt will be happy with lesser load.

Whatever fits your needs better. Both have much steeper learning curve than Asuswrt. It may take some time to replicate your current settings on pfSense/OPNsense. You may discover new options to explore though.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!