What's new

ASUS GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bookloverx

New Around Here
Hello.

Background: purchased in 2022. Two Xbox series x wired to the router. Orbi wired to the router and used for WiFi.

over the last couple of weeks, the NAT type on the Xbox’s changes from open to moderate. I have to reboot to switch the NAT back to open. I rebooted on Saturday and yesterday the nat type changed again to moderate with no changes to the set-up. I think I have the nat type upnp set correctly and port forwarding turned on.

is there a setting that I’m missing or is it time to purchase a different gaming router? I don’t want to reboot every couple of days to get the nat to be open.

Does this change maybe coincide with the main network interface (cable modem or similar) getting a new address itself from the provider?

I would Reset your router and setup from scratch ....it should not be changing constantly! I have UPNP enabled with NAT type as symmetric and no additional ports open with 3 xbox all showing nat type as "Open"...Best of luck!!

is it time to purchase a different gaming router?

Not a bad idea, but not necessarily "gaming router". This is marketing related term. When you purchased this GT-AC5300 it was 5-years old model already and now on End-Of-Life list. No more security updates or fixes. Popular around "gaming router" is GT-AX6000. The same hardware non-gaming marketed router is RT-AX88U Pro. Try to fix yours first though. It's a good hardware model. End-Of-Life for mostly marketing reasons because of AC-class radios.

I would Reset your router and setup from scratch ....it should not be changing constantly! I have UPNP enabled with NAT type as symmetric and no additional ports open with 3 xbox all showing nat type as "Open"...Best of luck!!
Thank you. I did reset a couple of weeks ago (forgot my login information). I’ll check to make sure that I have the NAT type set as symmetric.

Does this change maybe coincide with the main network interface (cable modem or similar) getting a new address itself from the provider?
I’m not sure how to check if the cable modem is getting a new address. It’s a cable modem from Spectrum.

Not a bad idea, but not necessarily "gaming router". This is marketing related term. When you purchased this GT-AC5300 it was 5-years old model already and now on End-Of-Life list. No more security updates or fixes. Popular around "gaming router" is GT-AX6000. The same hardware non-gaming marketed router is RT-AX88U Pro. Try to fix yours first though. It's a good hardware model. End-Of-Life for mostly marketing reasons because of AC-class radios.
Thank you. I really don’t want to purchase another router, but having to reboot every couple of days seems excessive. I’ll check to make sure my settings are correct and if it keeps on happening I’ll look into the GT-AX6000 Or the RT-AX88U Pro.

Update: I’ve reset, hard reset, made sure UpNp is on and NAT type is symmetric and right after I have done the resets the NAT type is open on both Xboxs. Once the Xbox’s are turned off and then rebooted later in the day the NAT type goes back to Moderate.
So is there a better router to purchase so I can play two Xbox’s at the same time and have open NAT on both? The ASUS did well until a few weeks ago and I’m not going to reboot every day.

Update: I changed the NAT from Symmetric to full cone and all seems well.

is it okay to use Full Cone? I’ve done some research and they say Full Cone Nat is not as secure As Symmetrical.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!