What's new

ASUS GT-AX11000 dropping out? How do I troubleshoot?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A switch and an NAS
There are 3 nodes 2 Zen XT8 wifi, (1 wired) and a RT ax 3000 wired
There appears to be three devices wired directly to the router's LAN ports. You said two of them were your laptops. What is the third device?

As there is nothing obvious in the log file my only suggestion is that you disconnect the AiMesh nodes and see if that stabilises the problem.

I need help with creating a troubleshooting process. I am not knowledgeable enough to know to proceed.

I have an ASUS GT-AX11000 Router that seems to drop both WIFI and LAN connections. Over the past week or so the signal to the wired laptop goes in and out for a connection. Using my Windows 11 laptop, I can see the LAN connection change on and off. I have in the past powered the router on and off and the signal stabilized and then it would do it again a few days later.

Today I had it happen again, and I tried to ping the router from the Windows 11 laptop and there was no return. I then went to a second wired machine Windows 10 and pinged the router and no connection. I looked at the Internet light on the router and it was white (connected). At the same time various devices that track being off and on reported Wi-Fi loss.

This leads me to believe I have a router issue because both the LAN and WIFI cannot connect to the router and the internet light is on.

I do not know how to read the system log file. I was hoping it would indicate some problem.

Can anyone offer a direction I can pursue?
Hey folks - I have an AX11000, and am having the same exact issues.
Before people jump to "it was attacked by Russia," it's not exposed to the internet in any way.

I think things are going on with AX11000's. Merlin 386.5 appears to have been the trigger point, but things were acting up before that.

Hey folks - I have an AX11000, and am having the same exact issues.
Before people jump to "it was attacked by Russia," it's not exposed to the internet in any way.

I think things are going on with AX11000's. Merlin 386.5 appears to have been the trigger point, but things were acting up before that.
Thank you. It is good to know it is not just me.
The thing that has me going is that the wired side lost connection. I am not addressing or testing the WiFi until I can make the wired side work.
Dave

As it stands now, I am not at the computer 24 7, but I will look at the wired connection and the wired connection is lost (2 different machines 2 different port connections on the router.
I have not tried to roll back the firmware yet. That is the next thing I am trying AFTER I reach out to ASUS again.

As it stands now, I am not at the computer 24 7, but I will look at the wired connection and the wired connection is lost (2 different machines 2 different port connections on the router.
I have not tried to roll back the firmware yet. That is the next thing I am trying AFTER I reach out to ASUS again.
Did you try my suggestion in post #24?

Yes I did. It is still erratic. I am sending info to ASUS, but if they want to router to repair, then I am without a network, uses I buy another router.
I need advice. If the router is to go back for repairs I am without a router and network. Do you know the turnaround time for ASUS? If it is bad, I am using the Tri_Band for my mesh 1 node is not hard-wired, thus the triband. So I need ideas for want to do.
I could eliminate the node, I could purchase another Triband, ideas, please!
Dave

Did you try my suggestion in post #24?I need advice. If the router is to go back for repairs I am without a router and network. Do you know the turnaround time for ASUS? If it is bad, I am using the Tri_Band for my mesh 1 node is not hard-wired, thus the triband. So I need ideas

I did try your suggestion but still get intermittent loss of wired and wifi connection.
I need advice. If the router is to go back to AUSU for repairs I am without a router and network. Do you know the turnaround time for ASUS? If it is bad, I am using the Tri_Band for my mesh 1 node is not hard-wired, thus the triband. So I need ideas for want to do.
I could eliminate the node, I could purchase another Triband, ideas, please!
Dave

Probably not the cause but have you check the temperature? I have found my 2 months old AX11000 (A1.1) runs rather warm (58C) at idle with room temperature at 15C. I would imagine that with heavier load and warmer room temperature, it can shoot beyond 80C easily, and heat can cause reboots and disconnects. I have put a 140mm fan (Arctic Cooling P14 powered by the router's 5V USB) on top (sucks air out, not pushes in) and its idle temperature drops 20C. Maybe worth a try before sending it in for repair (which I am wary of as most so-called repair technicians are rather sloppy and incompetent). BTW, my WiFi is 100% stable but I don't use Mesh or LAN. Good luck.

Last edited:
Probably not the cause but have you check the temperature? I have found my 2 months old AX11000 (A1.1) runs rather warm (58C) at idle with room temperature at 15C. I would imagine that with heavier load and warmer room temperature, it can shoot beyond 80C easily, and heat can cause reboots and disconnects. I have put a 140mm fan (Arctic Cooling P14 powered by the router's 5V USB) on top (sucks air out, not pushes in) and its idle temperature drops 20C. Maybe worth a try before sending it in for repair (which I am wary of as most so-called repair technicians are rather sloppy and incompetent). BTW, my WiFi is 100% stable but I don't use Mesh or LAN. Good luck.
Temperature isn't the issue - I have an AC68U in my attic which runs warm in the summer (obviously) and cool in winter (obviously) and I haven't cooked it yet.

My GT-AX11000 and GT-AC5300 run pretty cool. Radios in the 40's, CPU in the 60's.

Temperature isn't the issue - I have an AC68U in my attic which runs warm in the summer (obviously) and cool in winter (obviously) and I haven't cooked it yet.

My GT-AX11000 and GT-AC5300 run pretty cool. Radios in the 40's, CPU in the 60's.
Have you experienced any dropped connections?

I do not have a way to check temp, unless it is in the interface. I like the idea and will get a temp sensor. I can use it for other things. The unit does not feel hot.

Ah...I am giving ASUS support their day in court before I begin chnaging the firmware. Thanks for the tip.

Mine is now in real trouble - overnight, my AX11000 lost the 5G-2 band, the UI crashed (could not access), and wired connections could not connect. The last time I got in, it thought the link rate with the main router was 4800Mbps. All local connections get loopback (169.254.x.x) addresses.
Something has gone wrong with this.
Note - it appears that if the MAIN router reboots (this is used as an extender), the AX11000 loses its ability to re-connect.
This didn't used to be the case.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!