What's new

Asus GT-AX11000 Releases IP Address On Reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abhishek

New Around Here
Hello,

I have an AI Mesh network in my home with the GT-AX11000 being the main router for the network. I needed a static IP for my network to be able to run a personal server that I would be able to access from outside my home. When I called my ISP to request for a static IP, they said that they only provide a static IP to business accounts but what they do have is what they call a "Fixed Public IP". How they do this is they bind the IP address that they provide to me to the MAC address of my router. Theoretically this should have worked as I don't change the main router for my network so I should have always had the same public IP.

However what was happening was that I was receiving a new IP from the ISP every morning when my router rebooted itself as per my daily reboot schedule. When the folks at the ISP looked at their logs, they saw that the router was releasing the IP that it held upon reboot and then doing a IP refresh upon reconnecting instead of simply rebooting and doing a refresh without a release. Since it released the IP when the router reconnects, it was requesting and getting a new IP from the ISP. I confirmed that if I don't reboot the router, then the IP address remains the same.

Is there a way to prevent the router from releasing the IP upon rebooting and simply asking for a IP refresh instead?

I would appreciate any help I can get with this matter.

Why not use DDNS? Asus DDNS works pretty well and is free. There are other DDNS services you can use as well. There is no need for a WAN static IP address if DDNS is used. Just use the URL. I've been doing that for years and my WAN IP address changes with most reboots.

Why not use DDNS? Asus DDNS works pretty well and is free. There are other DDNS services you can use as well. There is no need for a WAN static IP address if DDNS is used. Just use the URL. I've been doing that for years and my WAN IP address changes with most reboots.
Thanks for the suggestion. Can I use a custom domain with Asus DDNS? I have a personal domain that I want to be able to point to my personal server, so something like https://mypersonalserver.com?

personal domain that I want to be able to point to my personal server
You must set the CNAME record in the domain DNS. I also suggest using proxy protection - e.g. the free CloudFlare plan.

Looks like my domain provider (Google Domains) supports DDNS. I will try that and report back if I face any issues. Thank you for your suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestion but no clouds.

Depending on how you configure the instance, it's like having a 24 core 1U server sitting in your house with 100GB ethernet connectivity and a terabyte of storage - all inside a secure data center with 24 hour hands on operations support team and armed guards...

Bit of a learning curve perhaps...

Depending on how you configure the instance, it's like having a 24 core 1U server sitting in your house with 100GB ethernet connectivity and a terabyte of storage - all inside a secure data center with 24 hour hands on operations support team and armed guards...

Bit of a learning curve perhaps...
Yep I’m very familiar with clouds having worked with multiple services and instances types in AWS as well as Azure. The learning curve isn’t the issue. I just can’t use clouds for my use case.

Hello,

I have an AI Mesh network in my home with the GT-AX11000 being the main router for the network. I needed a static IP for my network to be able to run a personal server that I would be able to access from outside my home. When I called my ISP to request for a static IP, they said that they only provide a static IP to business accounts but what they do have is what they call a "Fixed Public IP". How they do this is they bind the IP address that they provide to me to the MAC address of my router. Theoretically this should have worked as I don't change the main router for my network so I should have always had the same public IP.

However what was happening was that I was receiving a new IP from the ISP every morning when my router rebooted itself as per my daily reboot schedule. When the folks at the ISP looked at their logs, they saw that the router was releasing the IP that it held upon reboot and then doing a IP refresh upon reconnecting instead of simply rebooting and doing a refresh without a release. Since it released the IP when the router reconnects, it was requesting and getting a new IP from the ISP. I confirmed that if I don't reboot the router, then the IP address remains the same.

Is there a way to prevent the router from releasing the IP upon rebooting and simply asking for a IP refresh instead?

I would appreciate any help I can get with this matter.

Your ISP fed you a line of BS. If it was bound to your MAC address you would get the IP back even if you released it.

What they're describing is normal behavior just about every dynamic IP. Your IP stays as long as you don't release it or let the lease time out.

They used to change them frequently to prevent people from running servers (even when you renewed without releasing) but with DDNS being so common and the fact that they have to track people down for copyright infringement, they actually prefer to let IPs stay indefinitely, as long as you are using it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!