What's new

ASUS GT-BE98 Firmware version 3.0.0.6.102_34372 - 2024/04/23

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

But i had the automatic restart configured for tonight and this morning it was the same until i changed something in settings few minutes ago, then wifi was restarting and now it looks like it is working again. Any ideas what to check?
I think it’s just that the MLO needs some time to warm up every time you reboot the router. They should probably hide the SSID broadcast for a few more seconds after rebooting avoid this issue.

Just out of curiosity, what did you change in the settings? I don’t think there’s anything you can change to fix this.

I think it’s just that the MLO needs some time to warm up every time you reboot the router. They should probably hide the SSID broadcast for a few more seconds after rebooting avoid this issue.

Just out of curiosity, what did you change in the settings? I don’t think there’s anything you can change to fix this.
I made p.e. changes on guest network (not related to the problem), just to force rouuter to restart only the wifi part.

One additional question:
When activating Wifi 7 with MLO for SSID "ABC", router creates automatically a legacy network called "ABC_IoT". Should i use this as well? Or should i rename it to "ABC" as well if possible? Because after some time i can connect all devices, even older ones, to main network "ABC", so it looks like i do not need the legacy one. And its quite limited what I can configure in it compared to a normal IoT or Guest network.

I made p.e. changes on guest network (not related to the problem), just to force rouuter to restart only the wifi part.

One additional question:
When activating Wifi 7 with MLO for SSID "ABC", router creates automatically a legacy network called "ABC_IoT". Should i use this as well? Or should i rename it to "ABC" as well if possible? Because after some time i can connect all devices, even older ones, to main network "ABC", so it looks like i do not need the legacy one. And its quite limited what I can configure in it compared to a normal IoT or Guest network.
In theory, you should not connect to the IoT band unless the client device is an IoT device or a legacy device that only supports WEP/WPA1.
As the MLO band offers either lower latency, higher throughput, or more reliable transmission depending on the mode of the MLO (EMLSR/STR/NSTR) that the AP and client device agree on.

However, in its current state, many devices will have compatibility issues when using the MLO band, such as the client device can only use the 2.4GHz frequency radio, results in lower throughput. Therefore, you might not want to use the MLO function at all until the manufacturers of the router and the client devices figure out how to implement this properly.

In theory, you should not connect to the IoT band unless the client device is an IoT device or a legacy device that only supports WEP/WPA1.
As the MLO band offers either lower latency, higher throughput, or more reliable transmission depending on the mode of the MLO (EMLSR/STR/NSTR) that the AP and client device agree on.

However, in its current state, many devices will have compatibility issues when using the MLO band, such as the client device can only use the 2.4GHz frequency radio, results in lower throughput. Therefore, you might not want to use the MLO function at all until the manufacturers of the router and the client devices figure out how to implement this properly.
I turned now MLO off again, restarted everything manually and hope that the problem will no longer appear. But how to remove the legacy network? I can only deactivate it.

After some days of testing, I rolled back to 33001 again...using the latest FW 34372 or version 33570 my LAN speeds via Wi-Fi are capped around 800 Mbps (....and sometimes unstable).
If at least one Wireguard client is active the situation is even worse.
Using FW 33001 this problem is not present and the transfer speeds are OK and stable (far above 1 Gbps).

General setup:
Server <10Gbe> BE98 <Wi-Fi 6 or 7> Client device

Test case:
Large file copy from server to client(s) or self hosted speed test (openspeedtest hosted on the server).

What I have noticed, that in case if the transfer speed is capped, one CPU core (usually core0) of the router is hitting 99%.
If parallel file copy operations are started from the server using 2 or more devices, every device will be capped at ~800 Mbps max.

After doing a factory reset and some basic configuration, the situation is the same.

I have attached a picture with an example.
Setup: Server <10Gbe> BE98 <Wi-Fi 6 5GHz-2> AX11000 as media bridge <2,5 Gbe> PC
Distance: approx. 8 m + 1 lightweight wall in between.
Using the latest FW this speed is ~800/600 Mbps (link speed between the client and the router is the same as in case of 33001).

Is anybody facing the same issue?

Attachments

• openspeedtest_33001.png
    openspeedtest_33001.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 8
I turned now MLO off again, restarted everything manually and hope that the problem will no longer appear. But how to remove the legacy network? I can only deactivate it.
Sorry, I don't fully understand your request, you want to remove the legacy network? I'm not sure how that works.

After some days of testing, I rolled back to 33001 again...using the latest FW 34372 or version 33570 my LAN speeds via Wi-Fi are capped around 800 Mbps (....and sometimes unstable).
If at least one Wireguard client is active the situation is even worse.
Using FW 33001 this problem is not present and the transfer speeds are OK and stable (far above 1 Gbps).

General setup:
Server <10Gbe> BE98 <Wi-Fi 6 or 7> Client device

Test case:
Large file copy from server to client(s) or self hosted speed test (openspeedtest hosted on the server).

What I have noticed, that in case if the transfer speed is capped, one CPU core (usually core0) of the router is hitting 99%.
If parallel file copy operations are started from the server using 2 or more devices, every device will be capped at ~800 Mbps max.

After doing a factory reset and some basic configuration, the situation is the same.

I have attached a picture with an example.
Setup: Server <10Gbe> BE98 <Wi-Fi 6 5GHz-2> AX11000 as media bridge <2,5 Gbe> PC
Distance: approx. 8 m + 1 lightweight wall in between.
Using the latest FW this speed is ~800/600 Mbps (link speed between the client and the router is the same as in case of 33001).

Is anybody facing the same issue?
Thanks for sharing this. Thinking of trying firmware 33001. Do you use AiMesh between BE98 with wireless backhaul with AX11000? Just want to confirm.

Thanks for sharing this. Thinking of trying firmware 33001. Do you use AiMesh between BE98 with wireless backhaul with AX11000? Just want to confirm.
No, there is no AiMesh in this case. The AX11000 is in media bridge mode and connected to the router wireless using the 5 GHz-2 band (so this is the "backhaul").

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!