What's new

Beta ASUS Instant Guard iOS/Android public beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do we have to turn on WAN Access in order to use Instant Guard? I use IPSec for connecting remotely. I like instant guard but I have to allow WAN Access on port 8443 I guess.

Do we have to turn on WAN Access in order to use Instant Guard? I use IPSec for connecting remotely. I like instant guard but I have to allow WAN Access on port 8443 I guess.
I think maybe while you add it...after that you can remove it. But for me if I have a power outage or I reboot the node it does not work again. Then I need to do the procedure of adding it again or logging in on my home network. Not good.

You can already do the same thing by configuring an IPSEC tunnel. Instant Guard just makes it more automated to setup.
I recommend configuring a self ipsec tunnel as it does not allow client device ipv6 address leaks. With instant guard, my providers ipv6 address leaks out side the tunnel instead of ipv6 being blocked like it does with the self configured tunnels.

Hi,
I just received TestFlight invitation yesterday for "Instant Guard 1.1.3 (1.0.0.1.3) for iOS is now available to test." I have tested, it is working as advertised:)

I just received TestFlight invitation yesterday for "Instant Guard 1.1.3 (1.0.0.1.3) for iOS is now available to test." I have tested, it is working as advertised:)
Not working at all for me, even on the local network. It says, "Connecting to AX88U..." and appears to connect. When I click "Tap to Shield", I get the prompt to accept/decline remote WAN access. I decline. The process initiates, then quickly fails, reverting back to "Tap to Shield".

With previous versions, it would still work on the local network despite remote WAN access not being enabled. It was only when I was off the local network (and therefore needed it most) that IG didn't work.

Using an iPhone 12 Pro on 14.x with an AX88U on the latest beta.

Not working at all for me, even on the local network. It says, "Connecting to AX88U..." and appears to connect. When I click "Tap to Shield", I get the prompt to accept/decline remote WAN access. I decline. The process initiates, then quickly fails, reverting back to "Tap to Shield".

With previous versions, it would still work on the local network despite remote WAN access not being enabled. It was only when I was off the local network (and therefore needed it most) that IG didn't work.

Mine solved by not using Let's Encrypt for DDNS. I just choose 'None' for SSL certificate.

NSNE,
Suggestion to see it it helps.
  • Delete Instant Guard from your iPhone (with that it will remove all the under the hood settings, so that we can start afresh)
  • Check that you are on the Local Network (not Guest Network)
  • Re-Install Instantguard 1.1.3
  • Activate Instant Guard (for the first time the process should prompt you to allow some under the hood VPN settings); For my case, I recall Activating it via iOS Asus Router App under settings -> Instant Guard
  • Thereafter, Instant Guard works for me from remote locations over Cellular or other WiFi Networks outside my home.
PS: If you have separate IPSec VPN Server setup, is it Cisco IPSec VPN on iOS working for your case?

NSNE,
Suggestion to see it it helps.
  • Delete Instant Guard from your iPhone (with that it will remove all the under the hood settings, so that we can start afresh)
  • Check that you are on the Local Network (not Guest Network)
  • Re-Install Instantguard 1.1.3
  • Activate Instant Guard (for the first time the process should prompt you to allow some under the hood VPN settings); For my case, I recall Activating it via iOS Asus Router App under settings -> Instant Guard
  • Thereafter, Instant Guard works for me from remote locations over Cellular or other WiFi Networks outside my home.
PS: If you have separate IPSec VPN Server setup, is it Cisco IPSec VPN on iOS working for your case?
Followed these steps on both my iPhone 12 Pro and my iPad Pro 10.5" running iOS 14.4.x. Neither worked. I have used VPNs (1.1.1.1, NordVPN) on both devices before successfully. No VPN of any kind is active on my AX88U.

IG has been a bit of a dud for me, I'm afraid.

I had the same experience with a GT-AC2900

New to the forum :) Does anyone else experience their internet connection dropping / time-out after about an hour or so on Instant Guard? Simply turning IG off and back on again fixes it instantly, and then I'm good again for another hour, but it gets annoying having to do this multiple times a day. I also noticed this with manually configured IPSEC and OpenVPN, so I'm not entirely sure if its just IG.

I'm starting to suspect it's the asuscomm.com DDNS, since I seem to be the only person on the internet experiencing this :p, and I have done everything you guys have done setting IG and VPN up. I've also reset to factory settings, and set the entire router back up again manually. Nothing changed. Tried IG with and without remote connect enabled. My internet just dies after an hour for some reason...

Could it be that my AX58U and current Merlin 386.1.2 doesn't play well with DDNS using Instant Guard?

My setup:
Instant Guard iOS 1.0.0.1.0
AX58U - Merlin 386.1.2
DDNS (asuscomm.com)
iPhone 12 mini
iOS 14.4.1
NextDNS resolver (through merlinwrt nextdns cli)
You have asked this at least three times in different areas of the forum. Hope you get at least one answer you can use

You have asked this at least three times in different areas of the forum. Hope you get at least one answer you can use
Not at least three times, but three times. Not willingly trying to spam. I'm new to the forum and aren't familiar with how these forums work (i usually am on reddit, and it works in a completely different way).

I tried deleting my post above which is not possible. I figured it would be more appropriate to ask my question in a dedicated thread, and not in this one discussing Instant Guard betas, but I created that post before looking into deleting this post here, so I ended up with roughly the same question two places. I then realised my mistake having posted in asuswrt-official instead of asuswrt-merlin, which is more appropriate for my thread since I use merlin.

I'm really sorry for the spam, it was not my intention, and I apologised for it in my third thread. I have also reported my above post and my thread in asuswrt-official asking moderators to delete them, since that clearly cant be done by me. I'm sorry if it has offended you seeing my post three times. I'm not trying to spam the forum, I just made newbie-mistakes. Have a good day :)

Edit: wait, now there's a delete button at the bottom of the post above.. am I blind or does Delete appear after having made a certain amount of posts when being a new user (4 in my case? I feel silly. I'll delete my above post immediately, and see if I can delete threads too)

Edit2: I see the moderators have already deleted my thread in asuswrt-official after I inquired them to do so. Thanks for cleaning up my mess :) sorry for being a noob.

Last edited:
Not at least three times, but three times. Not willingly trying to spam. I'm new to the forum and aren't familiar with how these forums work (i usually am on reddit, and it works in a completely different way).

I tried deleting my post above which is not possible. I figured it would be more appropriate to ask my question in a dedicated thread, and not in this one discussing Instant Guard betas, but I created that post before looking into deleting this post here, so I ended up with roughly the same question two places. I then realised my mistake having posted in asuswrt-official instead of asuswrt-merlin, which is more appropriate for my thread since I use merlin.

I'm really sorry for the spam, it was not my intention, and I apologised for it in my third thread. I have also reported my above post and my thread in asuswrt-official asking moderators to delete them, since that clearly cant be done by me. I'm sorry if it has offended you seeing my post three times. I'm not trying to spam the forum, I just made newbie-mistakes. Have a good day :)

Edit: wait, now there's a delete button at the bottom of the post above.. am I blind or does Delete appear after having made a certain amount of posts when being a new user (4 in my case? I feel silly. I'll delete my above post immediately, and see if I can delete threads too)

Edit2: I see the moderators have already deleted my thread in asuswrt-official after I inquired them to do so. Thanks for cleaning up my mess :) sorry for being a noob.
I just started using InstantGuard and have the same issue as you. app shows VPN is connected but connection is dead until off/on again. i am also using asuscomm ddns

I just started using InstantGuard and have the same issue as you. app shows VPN is connected but connection is dead until off/on again. i am also using asuscomm ddns

That sounds like a different issue. The previous post is about a connection which terminates after 60 minutes (which is discussed elsewhere on the forum). Is your connection dead immediately or after 60 minutes? The latter is expected behaviour, instant guard has a built-in time-out to disconnect after 60 minutes. I suspect it was original designed to safely connect to your router, not as a free IPSEC VPN.

Yea I am staying away from Instant Guard until asus makes sure there are no traffic leaks. For example, when I do Ipleak.net test while in the tunnel I see my routers WAN IPV4 address and I see a leaked IPV6 address from my devices services provider. The IPV6 address should not be there.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to spam the forum, I just made newbie-mistakes. Have a good day :)
Nevermind him, he's our local sunshine. That's why he has the dark clouds in his avatar.

That sounds like a different issue. The previous post is about a connection which terminates after 60 minutes (which is discussed elsewhere on the forum). Is your connection dead immediately or after 60 minutes? The latter is expected behaviour, instant guard has a built-in time-out to disconnect after 60 minutes. I suspect it was original designed to safely connect to your router, not as a free IPSEC VPN.
Not sure exactly whether it was 60 minutes or not but what confused me was if it wasn't suppose to stay on always, it should have disconnected after 60 minutes but that did not happen.

Yea I am staying away from Instant Guard until asus makes sure there are no traffic leaks.
I haven't discovered any leaks yet, neither with dnsleak nor with ipleak. Are you on iOS or Android?

I haven't discovered any leaks yet, neither with dnsleak nor with ipleak. Are you on iOS or Android?
For example, when I do Ipleak.net test while in the tunnel I see my routers WAN IPV4 address and I see a leaked IPV6 address from my devices services provider. The IPV6 address should not be there. The tunnel should be preventing any external IPV6 connections outside the tunnel if it is not providing a tunnel for ipv6 traffic. This is an Android device. When I setup my own IPSEC connection within the router, there are no IPV6 leaks like there are when using Instant Guard.

For example, when I do Ipleak.net test while in the tunnel I see my routers WAN IPV4 address and I see a leaked IPV6 address from my devices services provider. The IPV6 address should not be there. The tunnel should be preventing any external IPV6 connections outside the tunnel if it is not providing a tunnel for ipv6 traffic. This is an Android device. When I setup my own IPSEC connection within the router, there are no IPV6 leaks like there are when using Instant Guard.
half-finished asus software..? what a surprise

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!